Make a donation

Author Topic: Loft Conversions  (Read 937 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Loft Conversions
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:34:10 pm »
Anyone had one done recently?

Are you looking at £17k upwards dependent on sq ft of loft, whether you get a dormer window etc?

Do you have to get building regs to come in after steel joists go in before you proceed? Thinking of doing this as opposed to moving in the current climate - make room for Scalextric and Hornby trains   :wink:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Loft Conversions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:49 pm »
We've had one done this year - cost is completely dependant on your current roof structure, and obviously the size of it, what sort of spec you go for, whether you have an en-suite etc. Ours was roughly £35k, but we have a bathroom (the floor had to be strengthened extensively for the bath), five Velux windows (including a Cabrio Balcony) and some neat bespoke wardrobes. You've also got to consider how much spare the stairs eat up. We chose to reconfigure the family bathroom and route the stairs from there.

One thing to be aware of it that they don't necessarily add value to your house.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 10:16:22 am »
We've had one done this year - cost is completely dependant on your current roof structure, and obviously the size of it, what sort of spec you go for, whether you have an en-suite etc. Ours was roughly £35k, but we have a bathroom (the floor had to be strengthened extensively for the bath), five Velux windows (including a Cabrio Balcony) and some neat bespoke wardrobes. You've also got to consider how much spare the stairs eat up. We chose to reconfigure the family bathroom and route the stairs from there.

One thing to be aware of it that they don't necessarily add value to your house.

Thanks Andrew.

Would have thought they always add SOME value although sometimes the net spend could be more than the value added I guess. Dont need a bathroom but would prob go for a Dormer window.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 10:21:49 am »
Yes, sorry, when I said they don't necessarily add value, I meant in relation to extending in other ways. It's probably the least successful way of adding value, but it's certainly the easiest way of adding a bedroom. Ours definitely hasn't increased our house value by £35k (yet), but the en-suite was a big spend, and our house already had three bathrooms, so a fourth isn't going to add value.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f0nno01fonkr57fgnmjtqi64u1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:22:04 am »
If you are worried about added value/outlay then get a couple of estate agents around and get them to give you valuations with and without the proposed conversion.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 10:24:28 am »
Any exterior changes you will need planning permission, and building regs will be required for the design of the floor, to take any loadings. The ceiling joists will most likely be inadequate, as they are designed for 0.25kN/m2 whereas a domestic floor is designed for 1.5kN/m2. You also have to think about the roof and how it's currently supported/constructed, how much headroom you have as there's a minimum, and depending on your roof pitch might reduce the amount of room you gain... it could be costly.

It might be worth paying an architect to do some initial scheming/proposals... and then get a structural engineer to look into the structural implications.

HTH

Dom
(Structural Engineer)
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 10:49:47 am »
Any exterior changes you will need planning permission, and building regs will be required for the design of the floor, to take any loadings. The ceiling joists will most likely be inadequate, as they are designed for 0.25kN/m2 whereas a domestic floor is designed for 1.5kN/m2. You also have to think about the roof and how it's currently supported/constructed, how much headroom you have as there's a minimum, and depending on your roof pitch might reduce the amount of room you gain... it could be costly.

It might be worth paying an architect to do some initial scheming/proposals... and then get a structural engineer to look into the structural implications.

HTH

Dom
(Structural Engineer)

Nice one Dom, when can you fit me in?  :wink: After you have drawn up your proposals we can then discuss the merits of the UNIbrace over a cup of tea and a hob nob and discuss whether WMI is needed on a road car when 360bhp can be achiweved on Stg 2+ anyway?

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:44:46 pm »

HTH

Dom
(Structural Engineer)

Yep, agree with that approach.  Architect to design first, can also advise on requirement for planning if applicable and also building regs. 

My wife is an architect btw.
2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 01:26:27 pm »
My mate Dave is an Architect and is currently drawing up plans for my parents summer house (flat roof bungalow currently, adding pitch roof and upstairs will be 2 bedrooms a bathroom and a second lounge to take advantage of the sea views, planning should not be an issue as it was the 1st house built on the road and all the others on said road have a pitch roof  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »
i'd be budgeting circa £30k for a loft conversion, if your house is semi detached it is highly likely given the structural changes you will need to resolve the party wall issues with your neighbour http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/partywall

personally i'd use a building surveyor over an architect for these works as they are better placed and generally more familiar with the party wall act  :happy2: