Make a donation

Author Topic: CH on Cars (M135i vs RS3)  (Read 20262 times)

R32UK

Re: CH on Cars (M135i vs RS3)
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2012, 09:51:25 pm »
Audi probably don't expect most of their customers to know what understeer is let alone find it.  :laugh:

:signLOL:

tis true

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2012, 10:02:01 pm »
Slightly ironic criticism on a forum that's dedicated to a car whose chassis debuted on an Audi, and for a company whose most dynamically capable cars (the R8, Lambo Gallardo, Aventador and arguably the TT) are all made by the Audi sub-brand.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2012, 10:02:39 pm »
Oh, I do love the BMW....but just getting started on my current car... :party:
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2012, 10:30:42 pm »
Slightly ironic criticism on a forum that's dedicated to a car whose chassis debuted on an Audi, and for a company whose most dynamically capable cars (the R8, Lambo Gallardo, Aventador and arguably the TT) are all made by the Audi sub-brand.

It could be worse - we could ALL be wanking over a sh*t car :wink:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2012, 10:33:49 pm »
 :signLOL:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2012, 10:35:19 pm »

It could be worse - we could ALL be wanking over a sh*t car :wink:

Or we could all be driving slower, worse handling versions of exactly the same car with a VW badge strapped to the front whilst still making fun of the car's dynamic shortcomings and not appreciating the aforementioned irony :P

Nobody's asking you to buy or like the RS3 and I personally would never buy one, but you of your own free will already bought a Golf GTI which is exactly the same "sh*t" car when you peel away all the superficial stuff and give it a smaller engine and brakes.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:43:03 pm by sub39h »
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2012, 11:07:12 pm »
This is like a good tennis match now.  :pomppomp:

Your serve Andrew.  :popcornsoda:

R32UK

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2012, 11:14:50 am »
cant really say the gti is like an rs3 at all.... apart from sharing a few nobs and switches the drive is totally differently. Not to mention my car is worth around 1/4 of what that rs3 is worth.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2012, 11:48:27 am »
As far as I'm aware the 8P and the Mk5 don't share any switchgear at all. Maybe the wiper stalk, but that'll be your lot. And you say they drive completely differently having driven one? Owned one? The same criticisms are aimed at the S3, but when I test drove an S3 and an Ed30 back to back their handling was basically the same. What the extra weight takes away the extra grip gives back.

I'm gonna stick to my guns on this and say that the RS3 is the same car as the ones you've all bought. And brand new, your Eddy brand new would have only been a few k shy of the RS3 and considering that VW is lower in the brand ladder than Audi that makes sense.

I feel there is a lack of objectivity in this thread. I'm happy to say the BMW is a better car to drive (objective), that it's better value (objective), but that it's ugly (subjective) and I just don't want one. Whereas you keep insisting on comparing apples with oranges to get your point across. Your 2nd hand Eddy value vs. new value of the RS3 is an example. Totally disregarding the fact that the RS3 is now obsolete whereas the M135i is a brand new model another.

I'm not here to say the RS3 is a good car. If it was £35k with buckets and standard then I might have felt that way. (I say might, I probably still wouldn't have.) £40k is a rip off imho, particularly now that it's at the end of it's model cycle. For the same money I'd have had a 2nd hand TT-RS and either a Mk5 GT TDI or an A3 Sportback TDI with the change for daily duties.

But as I've already mentioned, you all are members of a forum dedicated to a version of exactly the same car, and as much as you mock Audi they make all of VAG's most dynamically capable cars.

And the cars that handle the best must be the best, right? I mean that's what your all saying isn't it? It's not as of people have other criteria when buying cars, is it?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:58:59 am by sub39h »

R32UK

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2012, 12:04:52 pm »
I disagree with most of what you have written above... to sum it up

The gti drives nothing like a S3 or Rs3. The Gti doesnt even drive like an r32.

If you would like to compare like for like then compare the 1M with the Rs3.... i think we all know how that one ends  :grin:

A brand new eddy would have been around £27k... which is no where near the price of a new Rs3.

As for sharing switchgear... on one hand you say "I'm gonna stick to my guns on this and say that the RS3 is the same car as the ones you've all bought". On the other hand you say "the 8P and the Mk5 don't share any switchgear at all".

The only parts where I think we agree is that its a rip off  :grin: and that most people buying audis dont care about stuff like that.... although I draw the line at the Rs3. Its a performance model so most people know what they are buying.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2012, 12:07:55 pm »
The price of my Ed30 with plenty of bells and whistles was £28k brand new. Just sayin'.  :smiley:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2012, 12:13:00 pm »
This still going on then.

I think you are all missing the obvious.

Everyone has different needs and a rs3 does things the Beemer can't and vice versa.

Some people might just want a auto car, that's 4wd, luxurious, seats 5 and has some grunt. I don't see another car that fits this same criteria, and therefore it sells.

In the real world on British roads, the rs3 wi be quicker in the hands of your average driver.

Simples.

Personally I dont think the rs3 understeers as badly as CH is trying to make out he was driving it like a dick, and he's obviously looking for negative things to say about the rs3 proof being the seating position, and the fact it allegedly changes ride quality to shockingly bad in sport mode even though the car doesn't even have magnaride.

And the GolfR costs over 30k generally with some options too.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2012, 12:26:35 pm »
I disagree with most of what you have written above... to sum it up

The gti drives nothing like a S3 or Rs3. The Gti doesnt even drive like an r32.

If you would like to compare like for like then compare the 1M with the Rs3.... i think we all know how that one ends  :grin:

A brand new eddy would have been around £27k... which is no where near the price of a new Rs3.

As for sharing switchgear... on one hand you say "I'm gonna stick to my guns on this and say that the RS3 is the same car as the ones you've all bought". On the other hand you say "the 8P and the Mk5 don't share any switchgear at all".

The only parts where I think we agree is that its a rip off  :grin: and that most people buying audis dont care about stuff like that.... although I draw the line at the Rs3. Its a performance model so most people know what they are buying.

Why would a nose heavy R32 drive like a GTI? Don't get me wrong I adore the R32 but the whole reason the 2.5TFSI engine was made was to get rid of some of the weight over the front nose. I'd imagine it's handling would not be dissimilar to an S3 - although we'll have to agree to disagree with the similarities of the S3 and the GTI.

My point about the switchgear is that you say that's all they share. I say that's exactly what they don't share (the superficial stuff) but share all the major stuff underneath. Sorry for being unclear.

So now you wanna compare the RS3 with the 1M? So you want to compare an obsolete model with one that doesn't exist yet? Refer to my point above about objectivity.

When did they stop selling the Eddy? Many years ago. Back then, the S3 was less than £27k brand new. Times have moved on. We can safely say in terms of price if the Eddy were on sale today it would be priced similarly to an Ed35 and that can easily cost well over £30k when given some decent options. So I'll stick to my point about price.

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2012, 12:31:09 pm »
This still going on then.

I think you are all missing the obvious.

Everyone has different needs and a rs3 does things the Beemer can't and vice versa.

Some people might just want a auto car, that's 4wd, luxurious, seats 5 and has some grunt. I don't see another car that fits this same criteria, and therefore it sells.

In the real world on British roads, the rs3 wi be quicker in the hands of your average driver.

Simples.

Personally I dont think the rs3 understeers as badly as CH is trying to make out he was driving it like a dick, and he's obviously looking for negative things to say about the rs3 proof being the seating position, and the fact it allegedly changes ride quality to shockingly bad in sport mode even though the car doesn't even have magnaride.

And the GolfR costs over 30k generally with some options too.

I've never noticed this in mine, in fact it's bloody awesome in Sport Mode...and I've also frightened myself on a couple of occasions by it...At the end of the day you make your bed you lie in it. If you like the BM then go buy it,  if you like the Audi then buy that, the Audi does stuff the BM can't do and vicky verky as stated above. , plus it has 4 wheel drive which I wanted as my route to work is cross country, Audi Customer Service is also (in the dealers that I've so far used) has been second to none. Understeer, not as bad as CH and everyone is making out...i find okay. So if you want a blast in an RS3 then get in line.... :signLOL:  Yes it may an old chassis but I love my RS3... :pomppomp:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:34:07 pm by Moschops »
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2012, 12:32:40 pm »
Why do you keep saying its obsolete? You can still order one from Audi...