Make a donation

Author Topic: CH on Cars (M135i vs RS3)  (Read 20271 times)

Offline Moschops

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
Re: CH on Cars (M135i vs RS3)
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2012, 12:34:26 pm »
Why do you keep saying its obsolete? You can still order one from Audi...

You can indeed Andrew.  :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2012, 12:41:00 pm »
It's obsolete by the nature of the fact that there is a new A3 available to buy. Hence, even of you order a new RS3, it is the old i.e. obsolete car. This is doubly true now that the new A3 Sportback has been announced.

The fact you can still buy one doesn't change the fact that the car is the old shape car. You could buy a brand new 996 Turbo well after the 997 had been released, but it was still the old i.e. obsolete model.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2012, 12:58:28 pm »
Why did they leave it so late in the life cycle to release the RS3? Pretty much a few months before the new A3 became available :confused:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2012, 02:33:15 pm »
Ref the a3 vs golf debate, you're always going to find the bias towards the golf on a golf gti forum.

I do recall when i purchased my gti way back in 2006, there was no s3 option and the audi alternative at the time was the a3 s line tfsi with the same 200ps.   Every review i read said the s line chassis was too firm, had poor steering and was better without the 11mm lower suspension.  The GTI then arrived a few months later and scooped up almost every car of the year award in every country and every hot hatch comparison award.

I still test drove both, on the same day as they were similar cost and the gti had a 12 month waiting list and the audi was available much sooner.  They felt nothing alike, body control, steering feel, ride etc the audi felt like an a to b car and the gti felt sporty and fun. 

I recall comparisons with other vag cars always said the gti was better to drive, whether against the cupra, vrs, s3 and so forth.

I've never driven the s3 but reviews back at release always ended with, we'd take the gti, lighter on its feet, much better steering feel and body control.  I can't deny i'd fancy a s3 black edition though, I'm sure the traction would make up for any short falls in the chassis department :laugh:

I'm under no illusions that my 6 year old gti would feel dated in comparison to the newly launched hot hatches, car and technology  move forwards very quickly

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2012, 04:40:57 pm »
i like the 1 series m looks kinda ok in a ugly way  :happy2: would i have one over a golf or s3 NO ....Would i have the full fat 1m hell yes

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2012, 05:03:09 pm »
Going by the comments in this thread, alot of people in here should have bought a 130i instead of their golf. But for whatever reason they didnt  :laugh:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2012, 05:05:45 pm »
its ugly pure and simple  :sick:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2012, 05:08:11 pm »
its ugly pure and simple  :sick:

Somehow they've managed to make it look even uglier than the last one.  Such a shame as the engine and interior is lovely

R32UK

« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2012, 01:42:32 pm »

So now you wanna compare the RS3 with the 1M? So you want to compare an obsolete model with one that doesn't exist yet? Refer to my point above about objectivity.

When did they stop selling the Eddy? Many years ago. Back then, the S3 was less than £27k brand new. Times have moved on. We can safely say in terms of price if the Eddy were on sale today it would be priced similarly to an Ed35 and that can easily cost well over £30k when given some decent options. So I'll stick to my point about price.

The 1M does exist...

Obsolete is something that is no longer produced.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2012, 02:47:31 pm »

So now you wanna compare the RS3 with the 1M? So you want to compare an obsolete model with one that doesn't exist yet? Refer to my point above about objectivity.

When did they stop selling the Eddy? Many years ago. Back then, the S3 was less than £27k brand new. Times have moved on. We can safely say in terms of price if the Eddy were on sale today it would be priced similarly to an Ed35 and that can easily cost well over £30k when given some decent options. So I'll stick to my point about price.

The 1M does exist...

+1

They had one at Top Gear Live last year. And one was stolen in 3mins earlier this year without the key!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712717

Brilliant car :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2012, 03:04:25 pm »

The 1M does exist...

ob·so·lete/ˌäbsəˈlēt/
Adjective:   
No longer produced or used; out of date.
Verb:   
Cause (a product or idea) to be or become obsolete by replacing it with something new: "we're obsoleting last year's designs".

Has the 8P been replaced? Yes it has. Therefore it is obsolete. The RS3 is based on the 8P, which is therefore also obsolete.

I know BMW made a 1M on the old chassis, but that too is obsolete. CH even makes reference to a new 1M on the way, so currently it does not exist. Maybe I should have been more consistent and called it obsolete as well, but to me your implication was that you wanted to compare the RS3 with the upcoming version of the 1M.

I just feel you're arguing the t*ss now. We're not gonna agree so I'm gonna leave my contribution at that.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:08:00 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »
You're wasting your breathe man, BMW make better drivers cars than Audi. I'm pleased that even on a VAG forum the majority recognise that. All that bollocks about the RS3 being obsolete is just that, unless the new RS3 will be better than the forthcoming 1M, which we all know it won't.

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2012, 04:03:58 pm »
They are still making the RS3 and it is still a current model. How do I know?  In the dealer the other day, I was looking at new RS3s, and a few of the specs I was offered were still in build! :-p

There you go, that sorts that one out!
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2012, 04:16:29 pm »
The rs3 stopped production but then they decided it was still selling well and allocated extra builds.

Anyway, better is objective, at the end of the day what's deemed to be better is dictated by sales numbers.

But yes the BMW will be the more "fun" to drive car, and the Audi will be the more everyday accessible car.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2012, 04:29:48 pm »

The 1M does exist...

ob·so·lete/ˌäbsəˈlēt/
Adjective:   
No longer produced or used; out of date.
Verb:   
Cause (a product or idea) to be or become obsolete by replacing it with something new: "we're obsoleting last year's designs".

Has the 8P been replaced? Yes it has. Therefore it is obsolete. The RS3 is based on the 8P, which is therefore also obsolete.

I know BMW made a 1M on the old chassis, but that too is obsolete. CH even makes reference to a new 1M on the way, so currently it does not exist. Maybe I should have been more consistent and called it obsolete as well, but to me your implication was that you wanted to compare the RS3 with the upcoming version of the 1M.

I just feel you're arguing the t*ss now. We're not gonna agree so I'm gonna leave my contribution at that.

There is a new A3, yes, but is there a new RS3? No... The RS3 is still for sale and still available as a factory build, so in my eyes that's not obsolete..

Oh and to say a ED30 when new was "only a few grand" less than a RS3 is bloody comical... :stupid: A brand new Ed30 was around £22-23k, so nearly half the price of the RS3 when comparing a base model car with no options..