Make a donation

Author Topic: My new baby!  (Read 865 times)

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
My new baby!
« on: October 17, 2012, 07:59:34 pm »
Hi All

Just picked my new toy at the weekend - an immaculate looking black 5 door DSG Ed30 and I love it to death!
Dam these cars are quick! Had a golf v5 beforehand and thought that had some pace but this is another level.
I am now looking at some mod options but am going to leave the standard looks well alone as it already looks the bees knees.
That leaves a sat nav mod but the whole rns510 version battery drain can gateway is confusing! Prices seem to vary massively from version to version and I have no idea what I'm after. Any advice would be great!
Also looking at those VW specific VW units (f920bt) - anyone got any experience with these? Anyone selling?
Been looking at these forums for a while whilst I was hunting for the Gti and must say that there seems to be some really great friendly advice around - looking forward to becoming pat of this great community!

Cheers

Mark

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Re: My new baby!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 08:13:31 pm »
Welcome to the forum Mark. Great place, great people with loads of good advice on here.

With regards the RNS, the general rule is buy the newest you can afford. Have a look in the Sat Nav and Car Audio section here:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,19.0.html

Loads of info there.

What year is your car. It's generally the pre 07 cars that needed the gateway changed if running the newer units, but mine is an 08 and I had battery drain, so got a Gateway of Eddie-NL on here. Ed will be able to tell you best. The aftermarket units have their place, some great units out there, a couple of them, Pioneer and Kenwood even show the optical parking display and climate on them with an additional module, but if it's overall integration you want and OEMness, then stick with the RNS, great units.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45:41 pm »
Cheers for the response squeege - will continue the search - ta for the link. Hearing Eds name being mentioned a lot - sounds like the guy in the know.
The RNS units do look the business but I had discounted them due to being quoted £2k with Bluetooth! Having had a quick look on here they do seem achievable for a hell of a lot less.... Already I'm loving this forum.
Car is an 07 but registered in August so I'm borderline in regards to the gateway me thinks
Thanks again

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:53:23 pm »
Welcome along fella.  :drinking:

Spent the day with Ed today as it is cracking bloke, worth sending him a PM. RNS510 might be ok with your car (I've a 08 ED30 and no problem) but worth asking Eddie-NL. Older RNS510's, pre LED versions should be around £400, version C and above, from £450+. Bluetooth fitted will be no more than £200 max.

Cheers  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~