Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM Xenon headlights (RHD/LHD)  (Read 6603 times)

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
OEM Xenon headlights (RHD/LHD)
« on: October 19, 2012, 01:06:52 pm »
Sorry guys I know there are lots of topics on this but I can’t seem to get a definitive answer.

Can someone please confirm the following points for me:
•   All OEM headlights (Both RHD and LHD) have a switch to convert them to neutral?
•   By neutral this means remove the kink up which is normally to light the verge (Left hand side on RHD cars and Right hand side on LHD cars)

i.e. if I buy lights from Germany I could potentially use them here as ‘neutral’ without the kick up?

(On a separate note, why does the switch make it neutral? In what situation would not want to light the verge on either the left or right hand side? Surely it would have made more sense for OEM lights to be able to be switchable from RHD to LHD and vice versa – or would that make the manufactures no money?  :mad:)

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: OEM Xenon headlights (RHD/LHD)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:23:53 pm »
cant say for sure but i doubt that to be the case....
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 12:17:10 am »
This is what I was referring to but would like someone who has actually done it to confirm...?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:21:28 am by GTI_UK »

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:23 am »
Anyone?

Offline vwdubster77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:56:55 pm »
Sorry guys I know there are lots of topics on this but I can’t seem to get a definitive answer.

Can someone please confirm the following points for me:
•   All OEM headlights (Both RHD and LHD) have a switch to convert them to neutral?
•   By neutral this means remove the kink up which is normally to light the verge (Left hand side on RHD cars and Right hand side on LHD cars)

i.e. if I buy lights from Germany I could potentially use them here as ‘neutral’ without the kick up?

(On a separate note, why does the switch make it neutral? In what situation would not want to light the verge on either the left or right hand side? Surely it would have made more sense for OEM lights to be able to be switchable from RHD to LHD and vice versa – or would that make the manufactures no money?  :mad:)

I have a set of lights from Germany, currently using for a MOD that I'm working on, these remove the european "Kick" and make them neutral, just like the UK ones remove the "kick" to he left and make thee the UK xenons neutral.

I agree it would have made more sense to have the light "universal so that they could be adapted to both markets. I think the aftermaket lights that DEPO do are universal.

It may be an issue for the MOT though?

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 01:15:04 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation.

Can't imagine this being an MOT issue given that driving them in the 'neutral' position is not illegal.

As a retro fit I'm swaping more and more towards Depo/ Hella lights which use H7 bulbs as with all the 'noise' and uncertainty about the rules around Xenons and MOTs, if it was ever to fail all you would have to do is replace the xenon bulbs with Halogen ones. Lights themselves have the correct markings so are road legal.

Offline vwdubster77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:01:31 pm »
On my MK4 Golf, I got a set of Depo lamps, and put a xenon kit into those using a H7 Xenon kit, beam pattern etc was quite impressive over the standard H7 Halogen.

I've seen the Hella MK5 Xenon "look alike" lamps with H7 xenons fitted, again these appeared to be OK also, I think there a couple of links on You Tube for this.

Only thing I would be concerned about is the Auto leveling issue, and not blinding other road users.

There plenty of people out there advising on not to fit HID lamps into non xenon headlamps, one one reason or another.....each their own.

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:56:42 pm »
I'm not sure I understand the autoleveling argument (that many people pose). Xenons are automatic, halogen manual - but both can do it. Even aftermarket lights like Hella and Depo can be set from inside the car depending on load - where's the issue?

Ok the automatic feature on the factory xenons is uber cool but Halogen can be blinding when at the wrong level to so the situation is no worse than Halogen.

Offline vwdubster77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 04:15:37 pm »
The leveling on the factory xenons is active all the time they are on, so if the headlamps are set correctly from the start, they should never blind, as they are constantly leveled according to the road conditions. The manual leveling  done from inside the car can never be as quick, as you have to manually control it.

Halogen set to the wrong level aren't as blinding as xenons set incorrectly, xenons have much more light intensity, hence the auto leveling feature.

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 04:28:52 pm »
Valid argument – but does that work on retro fits? I thought you have to have sensors on the suspension of the car?

Factory fit is the best (no arguments).

But when retro fitting unless you go to the extreme lengths of fitting EVERYTHING it would come with from factory, what benefit does OEM have over aftermarket?

Offline vwdubster77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 02:05:55 pm »
Thanks! interesting reading.

Decided to go for Depo's due to cost and the whole potential issues with MOTs etc. just think it would be easier to put some Halogen bulbs in.

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 12:01:41 pm »
USA bixenons don't have a changer LHD/RHD.
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 12:44:39 pm »

Decided to go for Depo's due to cost and the whole potential issues with MOTs etc. just think it would be easier to put some Halogen bulbs in.

Where did you get them from?

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 06:47:11 pm »

Where did you get them from?

Bought them from a retailer on German eBay