Make a donation

Author Topic: diagnosed warped brake discs - replace discs only?  (Read 910 times)

Offline RSIboy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
diagnosed warped brake discs - replace discs only?
« on: October 23, 2012, 12:33:16 pm »
Hi - Recently bought a 2007 ED30 from a dealer, and noticed a shuddering in the steering wheel and pedal when braking.  Took it to my local dealer and they said there was a 2mm warp in the front brake discs, but that the pads were only 10% used and so it might 'wear in'.  Given the cost quoted was £250 for new discs and pads, they suggested waiting...

It's really annoying me - it's very obvious at all speeds, and I can't wait until my pads are due to be changed before getting this sorted...  and surely if the discs are actually warped, they're never going to be able to 'wear in'?!

So:

1) Is it possible/recommended to change *just* the discs, and keep the existing (nearly new) pads?
2) Which discs are recommended as standard 'OEM' replacements?
3) Where would you go to get this done - ie should I go to a main dealer?  Any suggestions for anywhere near South Manchester would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for any help!

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: diagnosed warped brake discs - replace discs only?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 12:35:30 pm »
how recently did you buy it.

I'd go to eurocarparts and order just some new disks.

If it was in the past month id be expecting the dealer to resolve the problem.

Offline M5 London

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: diagnosed warped brake discs - replace discs only?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:17:59 pm »
Hi - Recently bought a 2007 ED30 from a dealer, and noticed a shuddering in the steering wheel and pedal when braking.  Took it to my local dealer and they said there was a 2mm warp in the front brake discs, but that the pads were only 10% used and so it might 'wear in'.  Given the cost quoted was £250 for new discs and pads, they suggested waiting...

It's really annoying me - it's very obvious at all speeds, and I can't wait until my pads are due to be changed before getting this sorted...  and surely if the discs are actually warped, they're never going to be able to 'wear in'?!

So:

1) Is it possible/recommended to change *just* the discs, and keep the existing (nearly new) pads?
2) Which discs are recommended as standard 'OEM' replacements?
3) Where would you go to get this done - ie should I go to a main dealer?  Any suggestions for anywhere near South Manchester would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for any help!

I have a feeling it could just be pad deposits on the discs.

Have you tried any brake bedding in procedures ?

If there is a big lip on the discs through wear then worth changing them out though, and I would advise new pads at the same time, unfortunately
Golf GTI MK5 DSG - Great Car !
Golf Rallye
Corrado 16V
BMW E39 M5 - Supercharged - Pretty Good too !
MB SL500
Lexus LS400