Make a donation

Author Topic: Best bang for buck upgrade of an rns 510?  (Read 1794 times)

Offline wingnutLP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
Best bang for buck upgrade of an rns 510?
« on: October 14, 2012, 10:33:56 pm »
What do you reckon? I don't want to change the head unit but find it sounds a bit mushy. Should I be looking at new front speakers or a sub? If it is a sub then it needs to be a self contained job preferably under the seat. Spending up to around 300 quid would be ok but the less th better!

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Best bang for buck upgrade of an rns 510?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:32:39 am »
The VW speakers aren't up to much so the OEM HUs limit the output which means they sound crap when you up the volume. I would upgrade speakers but think about an amp/dsp unit as well.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline wingnutLP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 03:08:24 pm »
Sounds good so what fronts do you recommend that will be a straight swap for the existing speakers?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 03:10:36 pm »
I think the only ones that were a true straight swap were Rainbow IQ ones. Others need a baffle etc for installing. I went with Hertz HSk163 comps but had it installed by plush-automotive.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:26:58 am »
If you go 2 way, then you will need an adapter for the 6.5" speaker and will need to remove the original tweeter and fasten the new tweeter in using your preferred method. If you decide on 3 ways, then you will also need some sort of mounting adapter for the mids, I use mdf rings.

If you go 3 way, you will end up with quite a bit of bass, for me that is sufficient and gives a rather well balanced sound rather than going the sub route. Depending on your choice of sub and the setup, some subs can be overpowering.

Your best option as a stepping stone to better sound is to upgrade the fronts and amp them, if you can stretch to 3 ways, even better.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline wingnutLP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Am I right in thinking stock areb2 way?

I really just want pain free super easy install and to keep the rns510 head unit.

I think an amp is probably a bit too much of a fuss to install to be honest.

So are two way 6.5 inch the easiest to install and can I run them direct of the rns510?

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:23:24 pm »
Depends on the car. The standard speaker system is 2 ways up front and 2 ways in the rear giving a total of 8 speakers. Then you get the upgraded 10 speaker system which is 3 ways up front and 2 ways in the rear. Either way, it's easy to just replace them with 2 ways.

You can run them off the head unit no problem. Keep in mind you will need to find a place for the crossover in the door and then run the factory wiring into that before running new wiring to the speakers. Easy to do if you buy the right plugs to plug into the factory loom.

Yep 6.5" two way is the easiest to install.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members