Make a donation

Author Topic: Which petrol...  (Read 14005 times)

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
Re: Which petrol...
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 06:31:01 pm »
99 percent of people will use 95 in a gti, it's fine, 97 is more than adequate unless mapped for 98. :happy2:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 06:32:37 pm »
I put a tank of total 97 ron as there was no momentum in the pump. There was very little difference that i could tell from performance and the feel of the engine without doing logs to see the actual difference.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 06:34:09 pm »

99 percent of people will use 95 in a gti, it's fine, 97 is more than adequate unless mapped for 98. :happy2:

....Mapped for 98 is the important bit. I don't know if the OP 'f1fan' is remapped.

I doubt if 99% of folks on this forum use 95 in a GTI.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 06:55:40 pm »

Completely disagree. Did you just pull that statistic out of thin air? Any proof to back that up?

I've done 500 miles on 95 RON, averaged 33mpg, I guess I'll just have to try 97 RON for the same period of time and see if it makes a difference or not.

As mentioned, of course you can run your car on the low octane stuff but it will retard the ignition timing when detonation is detected.

Interseting article from the interweb....

Many high-performance engines are designed to operate with a high maximum compression, and thus demand fuels of higher octane. A common misconception is that power output or fuel efficiency can be improved by burning fuel of higher octane than that specified by the engine manufacturer. The power output of an engine depends in part on the energy density of the fuel being burnt. Fuels of different octane ratings may have similar densities, but because switching to a higher octane fuel does not add more hydrocarbon content or oxygen, the engine cannot develop more power.

However, burning fuel with a lower octane rating than that for which the engine is designed often results in a reduction of power output and efficiency. Many modern engines are equipped with a knock sensor (a small piezoelectric microphone), which sends a signal to the engine control unit, which in turn retards the ignition timing when detonation is detected. Retarding the ignition timing reduces the tendency of the fuel-air mixture to detonate, but also reduces power output and fuel efficiency. Because of this, under conditions of high load and high temperature, a given engine may have a more consistent power output with a higher octane fuel, as such fuels are less prone to detonation.

And taken from AUTOCAR magazine...

High octane equals better mpg

The benefits of high-octane unleaded petrol outweigh the extra cost of the fuel, expert tests have concluded.
Thorney Motorsport compared two identical Vauxhall Astra VXRs on the same routes over a four-month period.
Standard Tesco unleaded was used in one, Tesco's 99 Octane brand in the other.
The car running 99 Octane averaged 25mpg during the tests, while the lower-octane fuelled car returned 22mpg. That's an overall improvement of 14 per cent.
Daily dyno tests also revealed that the VXR running on 99 Octane produced 252bhp on average, compared with standard fuelled car's 235bhp.
Thorney Motorsport concludes that it's worth paying extra for the Tesco 99 Octane fuel, because you can go further on a tank.
However, high-octane unleaded is known to have a greater effect on heavily tuned and turbocharged cars like the VXR than it does on lower-spec, naturally aspirated models.

I'm sure that with a quick search a contradictory article can be found that's equally convincing but I for one will only run my tuned car on 99 RON. VW recommend above at least 98, JKM recommended me 99 and most peeps on here have recommended 99.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline f1fan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 07:43:25 pm »

....Mapped for 98 is the important bit. I don't know if the OP 'f1fan' is remapped.

I doubt if 99% of folks on this forum use 95 in a GTI.

My car is completely bog standard as it came from the factory.  I totally understand the fact that the engine is designed/optimised for 98, what I still dont quite understand is if the ecu thinks 97 is not good enough so t runs as if it's 95 or it's adaptive so it runs better than 95 but not quite as 98, does that make sense?
Black 2008 GTi, InPro smoked door mirror indicators, genuine Autohaus Wolfsburg plate holders, uk legal pressed metal plates, LED number plate lights, MTEC super white headlights & side lights, LED internal lights, Polo stubby aerial, Kenwood DDX4023BT head unit & Enfig surround.

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 07:56:52 pm »
Have I any evidence to back that up? :signLOL: what do you think? no i have not done a survey. how many gtis are sold in uk? How many on a forum? Most people are not anal about cars, and wouldn't know what 98 is, I know lots of people with gtis and other performance cars who don't put 98 in. Infact I only know 1 who does.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 08:07:38 pm »

how many gtis are sold in uk? How many on a forum? Most people are not anal about cars, and wouldn't know what 98 is, I know lots of people with gtis and other performance cars who don't put 98 in. Infact I only know 1 who does.

....Those are probably the same people who don't look after their tyres and who don't regularly check pressures. It's not a question of being anal but more one of common sense and caring for your car. I agree that there are too many people who never check their car's fluids, who only view a car as a means of travelling from A to B, and are mean about spending money on their car. Just because they can afford a performance car doesn't make them right.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 08:15:49 pm »
The guy wants to know if 97 is ok on a stock car, it is! family member has had all gtis fron new, her mk5 did 120k no probs on 95, is she tight? No as I said she doesn't know what 98 is, like lots of car owners she just likes golfs and the looks of a gti, I can honestly say I have not seen v power pump used more than 3 times, not all people feel the same about cars as ourselves.

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 08:19:25 pm »
In fact when was 98 introduced in uk? I seem to remember optimax was 97 then turned v power and 98 only few years ago. Long time after mk5 was released.
Edit v power is 99 and optimax was 98 :stupid:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:22:33 pm by jhtrophy »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »

In fact when was 98 introduced in uk? I seem to remember optimax was 97 then turned v power and 98 only few years ago. Long time after mk5 was released.

....You may have a good point there but my 05-plate 06-build Mk5 GTI states 98 in big numerals on its filler cap label - See pic in Reply #4 in this thread.

We answered the OP's question about 97 a while ago  :happy2:

So lots of folks don't know what 98 is out of ignorance (lack of interest, if you prefer) - It doesn't make them right.

Anyway, who cares? - I shall continue with V-Power with great peace of mind and because my car is tuned for it.

Offline f1fan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 08:37:26 pm »
....You may have a good point there but my 05-plate 06-build Mk5 GTI states 98 in big numerals on its filler cap label - See pic in Reply #4 in this thread.
My 58 plate Mk5 states 95 on the filler cap label!!
Black 2008 GTi, InPro smoked door mirror indicators, genuine Autohaus Wolfsburg plate holders, uk legal pressed metal plates, LED number plate lights, MTEC super white headlights & side lights, LED internal lights, Polo stubby aerial, Kenwood DDX4023BT head unit & Enfig surround.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 08:48:07 pm »

Completely disagree. Did you just pull that statistic out of thin air? Any proof to back that up?

I'd say that's pretty accurate - there has got to be thousands of GTIs on the roads, of which only a small percentage will be driven by enthusiasts. Even those driven by enthusiasts won't always get 98 RON in them.

....Those are probably the same people who don't look after their tyres and who don't regularly check pressures. It's not a question of being anal but more one of common sense and caring for your car. I agree that there are too many people who never check their car's fluids, who only view a car as a means of travelling from A to B, and are mean about spending money on their car. Just because they can afford a performance car doesn't make them right.

I do think there's a middle ground, people who simply buy into the GTI heritage or want a nicer than normal Golf, but who are still conscious of car safety and maintenance. They won't necessarily adorn their car with the finest fuel money can buy.

Offline f1fan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 08:58:16 pm »
I do think there's a middle ground, people who simply buy into the GTI heritage or want a nicer than normal Golf, but who are still conscious of car safety and maintenance. They won't necessarily adorn their car with the finest fuel money can buy.
Spot on, I couldn't agree more, in fact I suspect the majority of GTi owners fall into this category.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 10:36:33 pm »

....You're probably right but aren't 99% of us here enthusiasts?

I've always wondered what percentage of GTI owners are 'enthusiasts' rather than those who are just buying a top Golf version.

Offline f1fan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 07:14:49 am »
I've always wondered what percentage of GTI owners are 'enthusiasts' rather than those who are just buying a top Golf version.
Where I live I'd say very low, most GTis I see round where I live are driven by yummy mummies taking kids to school!  Maybe they are all enthusiasts after they drop the kids off!

There is one guy on my business park with a Pirelli, thats the only 'special' one I see.