Make a donation

Author Topic: Which petrol...  (Read 13987 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Which petrol...
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »
I mean specifically the GTI is all things to all people. Lower Golfs might be just as practical, but they don't have the performance. The R32 might arguably have better performance, but won't be as frugal. In the sense that it does EVERYTHING well, the Mk5 GTI is all things to all people in more ways than other Golfs are.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2012, 02:14:51 pm »

I mean specifically the GTI is all things to all people. Lower Golfs might be just as practical, but they don't have the performance. The R32 might arguably have better performance, but won't be as frugal. In the sense that it does EVERYTHING well, the Mk5 GTI is all things to all people in more ways than other Golfs are.

....I don't disagree. The GTI is truly an exceptional allrounder. I read your earlier post to mean something different in the context of the discussion.   :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2012, 02:50:06 pm »
I've always wondered what percentage of GTI owners are 'enthusiasts' rather than those who are just buying a top Golf version.

Easy way to spot the non-enthusiast: Running on 17" Monza's, with no other visible mods!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2012, 03:35:30 pm »
Easy way to spot the non-enthusiast: Running on 17" Monza's, with no other visible mods!

Ha, that will be me from next week, on my winters :grin:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »

+1 :smiley:

I used to use the standard stuff when I first got the car. Then after reading up about it I thought I would try 99 RON and the pickup felt slightly more responsive. I haven't done a scientific test but the MPG seemed to be better after a few tank full's.

My GTI is only a weekend car really so the extra cost per litre is not a factor for me, so in the 2 years (almost) of ownership she has been getting Shell V-Power once I changed over from the standard stuff.

Also I usually notice a difference in the eagerness just after each fill up. As it can occasionally be as much as 3-4 weeks between fill ups, and I have read that fuel loses its octane content over time, I am assuming the fuel in my tank will have been reduced and that is the reason for the difference I feel after the fill up?
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2012, 04:04:23 pm »
As said by both myself and others earlier, the effects of using V-Power or Momentum are better experienced on a remapped 2.0T FSI (assuming a professional remap taking the RON into account).

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2012, 04:07:02 pm »

That's utter horsesh*t. How can you make such a ridiculous generalisation? Could it be possible that some "enthusiasts" prefer to carry out "invisible" mods, e.g remap, intercooler, arb's etc. and leave the exterior pretty much or completely oem. Some people enjoy knowing their car runs and performs beautifully without having to draw attention with, for example, stupid atfermarket alloys; I'm not saying that all external mods are ugly, far from it. Some enhance the car beautifully.

I've seen plenty of gti's on (usually kerbed & whitewormed) 18's which are obviously not owned by enthusiasts. Also could it be possible that some gti's with external mods are owned by people who want their car to stand out, but don't look after their cars internals?
'07 Red manual

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2012, 04:12:06 pm »
I agree the 18's look better. I'm still looking for a set. However I might not bother, now that it's apparent that I'm evidently not an enthusiast.
'07 Red manual

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2012, 04:14:17 pm »

That's utter horsesh*t. How can you make such a ridiculous generalisation? Could it be possible that some "enthusiasts" prefer to carry out "invisible" mods, e.g remap, intercooler, arb's etc. and leave the exterior pretty much or completely oem.

Case in point: bacillus car!
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2012, 04:15:48 pm »

That's utter horsesh*t. How can you make such a ridiculous generalisation? Could it be possible that some "enthusiasts" prefer to carry out "invisible" mods, e.g remap, intercooler, arb's etc. and leave the exterior pretty much or completely oem. Some people enjoy knowing their car runs and performs beautifully without having to draw attention with, for example, stupid atfermarket alloys; I'm not saying that all external mods are ugly, far from it. Some enhance the car beautifully.

I've seen plenty of gti's on (usually kerbed & whitewormed) 18's which are obviously not owned by enthusiasts. Also could it be possible that some gti's with external mods are owned by people who want their car to stand out, but don't look after their cars internals?

....I think that Ian was half-joking when he posted that, mate. It's a big generalisation but it is at least a hint that the owner possibly isn't an enthusiast. Don't take it to heart.

I don't think that anyone can say that I'm not an enthusiast but I ran on Monza 17's at first and then my Monza 18's were very badly white wormed (but not kerbed!) for a couple of years before I refurb'd them.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2012, 05:35:41 pm »
I thought we were talking about petrol here!!!!! :signLOL:
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »

I thought we were talking about petrol here!!!!! :signLOL:

....Sorry, it meandered as forum discussions occasionally do. Not entirely my fault this time though.

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2012, 07:26:16 pm »
If a cars not modded your not an enthusiast :signLOL:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2012, 07:35:06 pm »
What if its not modded but on 18's eh, eh, eh???????
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline f1fan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2012, 07:41:25 pm »
I've got a nice metal tax disc holder, does that count?  :laugh:
Black 2008 GTi, InPro smoked door mirror indicators, genuine Autohaus Wolfsburg plate holders, uk legal pressed metal plates, LED number plate lights, MTEC super white headlights & side lights, LED internal lights, Polo stubby aerial, Kenwood DDX4023BT head unit & Enfig surround.