Make a donation

Author Topic: Euro import - no alarm?  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Euro import - no alarm?
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:32:51 pm »
Hi All
Just purchased a edition 30 which was a full Uk spec euro import. Just read some euro imports didn't have an alarm?
Been through the optional extra codes and can't find a mention of 1 - anyone know if it should be listed and if so the 3 digit code?
Is there a quick way of cheking for an alarm other than lobbing a brick through the window?!
Any idea of the cost of retro fitting standard VW alarm - is this even possible?
Also There is no build number plaque - can I get one if it was an import?
Cheers for any answers to any of the above

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
Re: Euro import - no alarm?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:35:47 pm »
Are there motion sensors on the roof lining on the passenger side and a button on the lower B-pillar near the seat belt on the drivers side.

Yes it can be retrofitted

build number probably not as they were not limited in mainland europe
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 11:38:32 pm »
An import without alarm may effect your insurance premium.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 11:46:22 pm »
An import without alarm may effect your insurance premium.

there was a member on here, had his policy cancelled due to this after he informed his insurance company
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:59:07 pm »
I'll have a look for motion sensors tomorrow. Cheers for the replies.
Eddie - Any idea of cost to retro fit?
Was told full uk spec and absolutely no difference to uk car when I bought - no alarm is a pretty big difference IMO!

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 12:08:21 am »
Price depends on if you use 2nd hand parts or new parts

Check first to see if you have it, also if it is an import (namely Motorpoint) make sure it is not one from Dubai

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:12:51 am »
Deffo not from Dubai or motor point - built in Wolfsburg - first inspection in Reine - first registered in UK with 1 owner from new - got code in the extras for spare wheel and other uk kit but worried could see a code for an alarm.
I'll check ASAP.
Cheers again for the advice

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 12:20:24 am »
even the dubai ones are built in wolfsburg, but yours is from Norway

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Offline f1fan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 06:19:58 am »
Mines an import and has no alarm either.  I tested it by getting in the car, locking it, waiting a minute then opened the door.  I think that's right!  It does tell you in the owners handbook how to test.

I'm insured with Admiral & their website only asks for an immobiliser and or tracker, no mention of alarm.

Eddie, how did you know it came from Norway? Could you check my car as I'm not 100% sure the I trust the VW dealer Ibought mine from, they didn't know it was an import until I pointed out the differences to them!

EDIT: Just realised you based that upon the town name!  Is there a way to find out where the car came from as I don't have proof where mine came from.  Dealer says it was shipped direct from Germany to UK, vague!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:53:04 am by f1fan »
Black 2008 GTi, InPro smoked door mirror indicators, genuine Autohaus Wolfsburg plate holders, uk legal pressed metal plates, LED number plate lights, MTEC super white headlights & side lights, LED internal lights, Polo stubby aerial, Kenwood DDX4023BT head unit & Enfig surround.

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 06:31:52 am »
Motorpoint import here. I only found this out when checking up on the service history before I bought it. It wasn't on the main VW system but believe it is now due to having the injectors done and my local dealer not being able to claim the money back if it wasn't. Mine definitely has an alarm though.

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:46:03 am »
Mines an import and has no alarm either.  I tested it by getting in the car, locking it, waiting a minute then opened the door.  I think that's right!  It does tell you in the owners handbook how to test.

Did your indicators flash after a few seconds from opening the door with the key? Common fault for sirens to fail.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline f1fan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:48:57 am »
Mines an import and has no alarm either.  I tested it by getting in the car, locking it, waiting a minute then opened the door.  I think that's right!  It does tell you in the owners handbook how to test.

Did your indicators flash after a few seconds from opening the door with the key? Common fault for sirens to fail.

No, nothing at all.  Obviously no ultrasonics or button on the pillar either.  I panicked at first, but I read through everything on the Admiral website and there was absolutely no mention of alarms so I guess they don't care, makes sense, who pays any attention to a car alarm these days!? 
Black 2008 GTi, InPro smoked door mirror indicators, genuine Autohaus Wolfsburg plate holders, uk legal pressed metal plates, LED number plate lights, MTEC super white headlights & side lights, LED internal lights, Polo stubby aerial, Kenwood DDX4023BT head unit & Enfig surround.

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 07:43:25 am »
Indicators flash - button on pillar - red flashing led on door card when locked. Couldn't see any motion sensors in roof lining but only had a seconds look as late for work. So I have an alarm then?
Cheers

Offline f1fan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 07:47:32 am »
Indicators flash - button on pillar - red flashing led on door card when locked. Couldn't see any motion sensors in roof lining but only had a seconds look as late for work. So I have an alarm then?
Cheers

Indicators flash when?  When you open the doors from the inside after locking or just when you lock the car?  If you have the button on the pillar then yes you have an alarm.  Red flashing led is not a sign by itself, mine has this and flashes when the immobiliser is set.

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 08:08:33 am »
Indicators flash when I lock or unlock using the key fob - not tried from inside the car yet. Will try the locking the car whilst in it and waving my arms round like a nutter technique later (may wait till its dark!).
Cheers again for all the help with this