Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear view mirror ineffective  (Read 755 times)

Offline robmcdonald

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Rear view mirror ineffective
« on: October 26, 2012, 08:17:44 am »
Hi Guys, long time lurker here soaking up the great info, thanks for all that.

Now need a wee piece of your wisdom: My rear view mirror has gradually stopped darkening , even while shining the torch from my phone into the sensor this morning - I presume that the sensor is the lens beside the green light on the mirror?

Is there anything I can reasonably do or am I looking at a new mirror/ rain detector assembly  :scared:

Thanks again,
Robert
2008 Silver GTI bog standard.

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Re: Rear view mirror ineffective
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:36:55 am »
I did exactly the same as you and used my phone to try and make it dim. More out of curiosity than anything but found it didn't make a difference. When it dims it is very gradual. The bast way I found to see it working is to have it on at night and with a car behind you, turn it off. It will undim quite quickly compared to the other way around.

Offline robmcdonald

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:45:04 am »
Cheers Matto, I thought I might be grasping at straws with my phone, it has never been as effective as the one I had on my Golf + and I'm now wondering if fitting LED's to my interior center light is causing a problem as I just read that having that on switches off the auto dimming. Maybe there's a slight current drain through them even with the light off. I'll go and pull the LED's out and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers,
Robert

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:17:26 pm »
Have you checked that the auto dimming button under the mirror hasn't been accidently turned off. I have knocked it off without realizing a few times.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition