Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM Xenons/ Depo xenon look headlights - no sidelights?  (Read 5645 times)

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
OEM Xenons/ Depo xenon look headlights - no sidelights?
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »
So I've fitted me Depo xenon look headlights today and hooked up a HID kit. Both low beam and high working perfectly fine but have bulb out warning light on my dash... Took me a little while to realise the lights don't have any sidelights which is probably why this is coming up, right?  :confused:

Just looking at pic, it seems OEM Xenons done have sidelights either (?) so for those that have done a retro fit or have fitted Hella/ Depo lights, how do you get round this?

Or are sidelights in a different place?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:19:46 pm by GTI_UK »

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: OEM Xenons, no sidelights?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:07:28 pm »
On OEM Xenons the side lights run across the bottom outer edges (about 5 inches across in terms of the bulb light output) and are clear on the headlight casing.

- to illustrate.
^ Those are Xenon look/LED side lights, OEM ones are yellow but you get the idea on location.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 05:19:06 pm »
Ah! Ok.... Can I ask, do the indicator and sidelight 'share' the housing or are they separated? I.e. when the indicator flashes, does it look like its taking up the whole of the bottom section of the headlight? And same with sidelight?

Just wondering if I've missed a trick here and the same 'hole' has both indicator and sidelight to replicate the OEM Xenons?

It's going to be a bugger to try to put a bulb in if it's the case (would have been so much easier if the light was off!!

Can anyone with Depo headlights confirm please?

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
Re: OEM Xenons/ Depo xenon look headlights - no sidelights?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 05:22:29 pm »
either way worth sorting as the look mint :congrats:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:28:50 pm »
I.e. when the indicator flashes, does it look like its taking up the whole of the bottom section of the headlight? And same with sidelight?

Yes it does. They're obviously next to each other but the indicator bulbs are bright so the whole thing lights up orange when flashing.

It's going to be a bugger to try to put a bulb in if it's the case (would have been so much easier if the light was off!!

If what you've got are the same layout as OEM ones, changing sidelights is a bit fiddly but you'll get the knack of it. You push your hand in and pull the sidelight holder out it's seating to get access to the bulb. The sidelight housing (or bulb holder) is then loose but held on a set of a wires so flexible to move around with when replacing the bulb.

There's a guide that can be found quite easily via Google. Think it's either on here or R32OC....  :happy2:
Pete

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 05:38:13 pm »
Just had another look and it does indeed have bulb holders for the sidelights :jumpmove:

The passengers side was easy to do but for the drivers side I need the hands of a 2 year old...RDFCPETE, i've had a quick look for the guide but couldn't find it... Would really appreciated if you could add a link please?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:40:27 pm by GTI_UK »

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
Pete

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 06:05:27 pm »
Ok. Thanks but not special tips here about to do the drivers side. Can put it out if I can reach it but that's the problem... cant reach