Make a donation

Author Topic: Paint  (Read 1883 times)

ReeceH13

Paint
« on: October 31, 2012, 01:24:02 pm »
Hi all,

Taking the plunge and am going to paint my calipers at the weekend.

A few novice questions if I may...

1) Where is the jack stand points for the car? and would the standard jack that comes with the car be ok for the car to stand on for hours on end one point at a time?

Lastly do I need, Paint, Wire brush (to brush off old pink paint?!) harender and brushes... that it?

Cheers

Offline Panthera

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:39:52 pm »
Hi, the jacking points are described in the cars manual, failing that, there should be small triangles on the bottom of the side skirts for the scissor jack location.

But to be honest, I would not use the scissor jack for doing ANY type of maintenance on a car. Its is only meant for getting you out of a pickle when changing a wheel because of a flat when on the road. I am sure the others will confirm this.   Buy a trolly jack and some axel stands which are a lot better and safer to use when doing any kind of work on your car. 

Its all things to all men...Golf GTi
2007 Blue Graphite Golf GTi

Offline scopes

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 01:52:00 pm »
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_817617_langId_-1_categoryId_255207

Theres a good deal there, that would help you out... Not to expensive either  :happy2:

7pc Car Lifting Kit

■2 ton hydraulic trolley jack
■2 x 2 ton axle stands
■High quality wheel brace with 4 socket heads
■Metal wheel chocks to restrict movement
■Padded car creeper, ideal for those hard to reach areas
■Tyre pressure gauge
■Foot pump

Just a thought !
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

ReeceH13

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:03:07 pm »
Ok cheers guys,

That's actually quite cheap! Thanks for that.

Yeah it seems more sensible holding it up on a trolly jack I agree...

:happy2:

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »
Holding it up on axle stands then extra support with the trolly jack  :happy2:  You can never be too safe working underneath something you couldnt lift up on your own...

Silver is the way !

ReeceH13

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:39:41 am »
Thanks for all your replies.

Silly question but... Would it be ok to buy an axle stand rather than a trolly jack and keep it up on one side at a time, they are cheaper than a trolley... Can't find the manuel to hand can anyone let me know if this will be ok and if you know where the jack points are?

Thanks  :smiley:

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:26:33 am »
Yes I would say it is possible, but wouldn’t want to take responsibility for anything to happen,
With using the trolley jack you can place it under the sub frame & jack up to place the axle stands in place of where the lifting points are.

If you where to use the lifting points to jack the car up & then place the axle stand under the anti lift kit, that too could be possible, but again I wouldn’t want the responsibility of anything happening.

Then again would the car jack, lift the car high enough to put the axle stands in place…

Only trying to keep you right, as this is something I don’t really like doing & always keep the trolley jack under for safety reasons.

Silver is the way !

ReeceH13

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 11:43:24 am »
Yeah that is a good point thanks very much. Think I will invest in a Trolly jack instead... Could even paint the calipers through the 18" Monzas?? Anyone done this...

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 12:01:01 pm »
Wouldn't even bother trying to paint THROUGH your wheels. Take everyone's advice and use a jack and axel stands. Be safe! And you don't have to buy a new one every time so don't worry about te cost too much, there pretty cheap

ReeceH13

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 08:27:57 am »
Again, apologies if this has been asked before.

This body shop guy is painting my calipers (on the car) for £40.00 - good price?! He said just supply the paint and he will do the rest. (As a trolly would cost me near as much I figured I'd leave it to the professionals - Thanks to everyone for their help re jacking the car up etc)

Now, my question is. Is Halfrauds caliper paint any good? Can anyone reccomend some good paint to use, I have hear Hamerite? - Is it resistant enough to stay on my calipers, anyone got any stories or paint they would reccomend?

Cheers all

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 09:11:56 am »
Again, apologies if this has been asked before.

This body shop guy is painting my calipers (on the car) for £40.00 - good price?! He said just supply the paint and he will do the rest. (As a trolly would cost me near as much I figured I'd leave it to the professionals - Thanks to everyone for their help re jacking the car up etc)

Now, my question is. Is Halfrauds caliper paint any good? Can anyone reccomend some good paint to use, I have hear Hamerite? - Is it resistant enough to stay on my calipers, anyone got any stories or paint they would reccomend?

Cheers all

I have a new and unused red Foliatec caliper paint package that I'm not going to use...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline felix!

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 11:40:51 pm »
£40? hahaha he is pulling your pants down, just ask a few mates/family members if they have a trolley jack/axle stands you can use/borrow

scottm72

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:45:29 pm »
had same problem don't trust the supplied jack, invest in a trolley jack as no doubt you will need it again in the future  :happy2:

Offline olib135

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 07:21:39 am »
Put some blocks of wood under the brake disk when your cars up and wheel off! Better safe than sorry!

ReeceH13

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 10:23:31 am »
Can't seem to find anyone that has one and am really $hit with D.I.Y  :signLOL:

For they money, time and errort it is to buy a trolley I might as well get them done proper... I hope anyway haha!

But I do agree re getting a jack for thr future