Make a donation

Author Topic: touareg v10 vs range rover td6 discuss?  (Read 6764 times)

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
touareg v10 vs range rover td6 discuss?
« on: November 02, 2012, 10:08:06 am »
As the title really, I'm looking to buy another car this weekend and it's between a Touareg or Range Rover.  Iv researched them so much that my eyes are bleeding.  Decision was based on value for money really (circa 9k) and the need to take dog and bikes out and about as well as having a bit of a work horse for towing, picking up big things etc.  ill still have the ED for fun but wanted something with some poke as its in my nature.

I'd fancied a range rover for ages but having looked at numerous shoddy examples it seems that you still have to pay in excess of 10k for what will become a ten year old car.  The Touareg on the other hand offers a fun engine and lots of toys and a younger car for less money.  Granted there are better looking cars out there.  MPG isn't that much of an issue as I work away and have the ED for Erm.. Economy lol.

Sorry for the long winded introduction I just wondered if anyone here has much experience with either car?

Touareg would be the V10 as the 2.5 is under powered Range Rover would be TD6 or 4.4 with LPG perhaps.

Offline jimojameso

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
Re: touareg v10 vs range rover td6 discuss?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:47:11 am »
My old man has an evoque now but he had a 2003 range rover vogue. It was unreliable and expensive to look after. Beautiful car though. After the third rad went on it he started getting them free. He had the air suspension go. Few other bits. He bought the car brand new form them too.

I would rather have the range but the vw will cost less to run servicing wise i reckon.  :happy2:
2010 Audi TT RS - Sepang Blue - 420BHP, 600NM

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:53:13 am »
Your confirming my thoughts, iv read so much about air suspension, gearbox, radiator, power steering and engine issues.  They are a good looking car but at £1-2k per gearbox and torque converter it could be a miserable time.  I'd love an evoque ha.

At least I'm familiar with VW and it's parts.

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 12:13:28 pm »
You want to spend 10k on a piece of sh*t that drug dealers drive?

If you want a 4x4 then buy a Disco or Defender - they will fall apart though. If you want a Luxo tractor, get a LOLVO XC90. If you want street cred, get a G Wagon. If you want to pretend you're in the UN, get a Landcruiser. If you want to go fast, get an X5.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:51:08 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 12:21:57 pm »
The father-in-law has a Disco TDI, purpose built with the rear seats removed, for exactly the things you said. First thing he done was get it remapped.  :driver: Not experienced it myself but he said it transformed the car no end  :driver: :driver: :driver:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:44:44 pm »
Here's an off the wall option for you if you're not a badge snob. My wife has a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Auto. Fantastic car, comfortable, reliable, loads of space, etc. etc. Got this after we had a Range Rover Sport. Would take the Santy any day over the RR sport, loads more space, more economical and far cheaper to run, tax and insure.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:57:55 pm »
Haha disco of win! they are very good value for money.

It's not so much about being a badge snob and to be fair Hyundai have some amazing value kit, a santy just wouldn't be for me.  nothing wrong with them at all though.

Offline jimojameso

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 01:04:48 pm »
The evoques arent all that. The big proper ones are much better. He had a few disc's too and i always liked them!  :happy2:
2010 Audi TT RS - Sepang Blue - 420BHP, 600NM

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 01:09:47 pm »
How's about Jimmy Savile's old Rape Rover? Comes with a bed in the back, sink between the front seats and privacy curtains. I kid you not!

A snip at 13k, jangle jangle....
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:14:29 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 01:29:45 pm »
How's about Jimmy Savile's old Rape Rover? Comes with a bed in the back, sink between the front seats and privacy curtains. I kid you not!

Haha as usual trust you to drag my post down !! I wonder if you could get overfinch style lettering saying R A P E.  still got that song stuck in my head by the way! anyways ill pass thanks as I plan to install a UV light in the back and would hate to see its history

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 01:33:55 pm »
The inside looks like a painter's radio.
Sideways yo!

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 02:02:55 pm »
The inside looks like a painter's radio.

The inside of what exactly  :grin:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 05:11:36 pm »

Haha as usual trust you to drag my post down !! I wonder if you could get overfinch style lettering saying R A P E.  still got that song stuck in my head by the way! anyways ill pass thanks as I plan to install a UV light in the back and would hate to see its history

I Know The Saville stuff is a serious business and should not be taken lightly, but i came across this last night.

On a more topical note, you must really love your dogs, How much are running and servicing costs on a toe rag. They must do about 12MPG.  :chicken:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=np6vcqs97umtndioia67r2mq2a&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 05:34:54 pm »
You'll get way more than 12..... 20MPG I would have thought. Easily! :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 05:54:19 pm »
Not really an appropriate suggestion due to being mega expensive but we can dream!:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!