Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 Jetta - Time for a spring clean.....  (Read 49306 times)

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
Mk5 Jetta - Time for a spring clean.....
« on: November 02, 2012, 07:53:25 pm »
Ok so I thought I'd better start a thread - as usually my cars turn out pretty smart with a few nice touches!!

I bought the Jetta back at the start of October to replace 3 other cars! My home built mk3 polo coupe, a Fabia VRS & a VW Touran. (Polo sold in the first week - the other 2 are currently on gumtree).

Ive only owned vw's (mostly polo's) here are a few of my old cars!

Fabia VRS

Audi 100 avant Quattro with an oettinger engine conversion

Polo coupe GT - home made from a bare shell

My old mk4 polo - Amber - circa 2000!

My mk3 polo g40 on 3 spoke treser rims

So you get the point!

I had the wheels & stereo fitted the day I got the car!! 18" Phaeton champions & a pioneer double din iPod & Bluetooth unit, a 4 channel amp & all the audio upgraded.

Even though its the Sport it's got nothing on it at all - other than the central arm rest and a few pieces of broken trim!!

Since them I've fitted it with a set of genuine mudguards for a bargin price of £9.50 (spelt wrong on eBay) & had a play around with some red vinyl!!

Before:-

After:-

Not sure if I like it yet or to do the outer lights too??

Any feedback greatly received - yes I know it needs hit with the lowering stick. But these will all come in time as I sell the other cars!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 09:38:21 am by Polo6n1600i »

Offline Dannyboy88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
Re: Mk5 Jetta - aka Roland Rat!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:26:47 pm »
I'd do them all red mate as it looks like two different sets of lights at the minute. Good to see another jetta owner on the forum theres afew of us now .
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:27:23 am by Dannyboy88 »

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:32:35 pm »
Need to get more red vinyl then!!!!

Offline matt_TFSI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 08:23:08 pm »
looks good, but all red for rears IMO :happy2:

noelm

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 10:06:02 pm »
Nice Jetta that's the best colour  too, not been biased or anything  :happy2:

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 09:53:07 am »
ordered some more vinyl - still got the original templates so easy to make some more. going to redo the inner ones too as they have a few bubbles and creases. But im on holiday next week so i'll get it done then.

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 10:34:06 am »
ordered some more vinyl - still got the original templates so easy to make some more. going to redo the inner ones too as they have a few bubbles and creases. But im on holiday next week so i'll get it done then.

Looking forward to the results! Never seen it before

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:29:27 pm »
I had the choice of 5 Jetta's at the time - all the same model, at different dealerships with prices from £4000 - £10000.

I didnt buy the £10K one because it was black (too many black cars recently.
I didnt buy a dark blue one (it was listed incorrectly as a manual, but it was a DSG), there was a white one, but it was a 2.0T 200bhp manual & again it was listed as a diesel. I saw this one and instantly fell in love with the colour - even with all its marks, scratchs, broken pieces of trim and random pieces missing.

I've got another front end that i'm getting colour coded instead of chrome - same with the lower trim & the outer sections, i'm getting the grill slats all done in black and i'm picking up a set of std headlights (on wednesday) that i'm going to split and paint the inner sction body coloured also - i'm also going to modify the outer lamps with sidelights and modify where the indicator side so they whole band flashes orange.

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 05:53:55 pm »
Tail light help!!

Ok so i've just received a set of Jap spec rear lights - however they arent LED's!!! They are just std normal bulbs - plugged them all in and fitted them (sorry no pics) and nothing works - just the bulb warning lights come on the dash. only the front headlights / indicators / side repeaters work - HELP! :confused:

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
I stand corrected on this, but the LED's are wired differently to the halogen bulb units. I know that when the guys in the US change over to Euro LED's, they need to change / add / cut some wiring to get them working.

What do the Jap spec rears look like and why are you going away from LED's? One of the best points of the Jetta imo.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
Would you be looking to sell your current front end? PM me?

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
I stand corrected on this, but the LED's are wired differently to the halogen bulb units. I know that when the guys in the US change over to Euro LED's, they need to change / add / cut some wiring to get them working.

What do the Jap spec rears look like and why are you going away from LED's? One of the best points of the Jetta imo.

The jap spec ones look the same as these, but they have the foglight & reverse light the right way round for the uk

I thought about fitting the inner ones as is, but removing the outer lenses and fitting them over the std uk lamps with the LEDs??

I'm usually pretty good with things like this - I was the first to fit mk5 polo tail lights to the mk4 & put the wiring guide and how to on club polo.

You options?

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
Removing the outer lenses and then putting them on the LED lights probably won't work as you have to break the outer lenses off and they probably wouldn't fit so well on the other lenses because of this.

Not sure of what they look like inside, but maybe your best option would be to cut the backs off in exactly the same place and then transplant them over into the JAP lights? No idea how practical or feasible this would be though.

Are you trying to replicate the all red, bar the centre bit look? Why not tint your existing LED tails? Probably save you headaches in the long run. I am looking at doing some lamin-x on mine, but the lighter tint.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
I've already tried the red laminx on the inner lamps, it's got lots of blisters and lots of creases (first attempt!) but when I tried the outers they looked awful. Definitely not the easiest shape to tint! Which is why this jap spec + led idea came to be!
I may just buy a spare rear lamp to take apart and see how it goes, if its anything like taking the golf ones apart (in the skyline style tail lights guide) then it maybe pretty easy to do.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email