Make a donation

Author Topic: Tornado Red GTI- project budget Ko4. New pics 17/06/13  (Read 5603 times)

Offline matt_TFSI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Tornado Red GTI- project budget Ko4. New pics 17/06/13
« on: November 03, 2012, 06:49:43 pm »
Hi and welcome to my build thread! I  bought my Gti in 2009 fully standard, poverty spec, had it re-mapped in the first week to 250bhp. I then toyed with the idea of selling and buying an ED30 but I kind of like the idea of 'surprising' people who might take the car for a stock gti 200. With that plan in mind I started to look for the parts for a ko3-ko4 swap. My first encounter were the £2000+ APR kits which although would be the simplist option and easiest, I wasn't willing to pay. So it got me thinking how cost effective I could make the conversion (carrying out all work myself) without scrimping and buying horribly cheap, poor quality parts. So thats the aim- a budget stage 2+ ko3 to ko4 conversion  :laugh:

So here's a quick run down on the work carried out since I've owned it:

standard

Then came the 19x9 bentley alloys with huge stretch, lots of rubbing and made it totally crap to drive. Looked  :drool: though I think! Lowered on FK Highsport coilovers

Only did around 100 miles on these and the damage to the paint was  :sick:

That helped me make the the decision to run more suitable rolling stock!

So purchased a set of these as a stop gap until I find the right rims in the right offset

off with the arch-killers

On with the R32's

Then in for paint

Then it was off on the long trip  to edition, looking shiny but still on r32's :sad1:

Well trained missus    :grin:

So not long after Edition I was sent out to afghanistan so the project won't really be moving along other than assembling the parts and researching as much about the turbo swap as I can! Here's some stuff that's been purchased in the last couple of weeks

So until March she's sitting wrapped up for the winter

I'm currently looking for hpfp internals, injectors and a decat downpipe.

That's it so far, comments welcome and any advice/lessons learned on the Ko4 stuff would be greatly appreciated :happy2:

Thanks for looking,

Matt
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:54:39 pm by matt_TFSI »

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: Tornado Red GTI- project budget Ko4
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 11:41:38 pm »
HPFP internals for sale here:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56042.0.html

Also KO4 conversion:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55988.0.html

Good luck with the project - I look forward to seeing your progress, as well as your bank account being emptied!

PJ :happy2:
'07 Red manual

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 12:11:05 am »
Nice car dude  :happy2:

For the KO4 upgrade, you need to have it mapped to suit, so when you get the work done, take it easy & straight to the tuners...

Stay of the power as it's not good!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:11:44 pm by scopes »
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline matt_TFSI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:39:52 am »
Thanks for the links! Hopefully thee bank balance can stay relatively intact ha ha!

Thanks for the comments guys, there is a Revo dealer just up the road but I have another car and trailer so shouldn't be any mishaps  :smiley:

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 10:06:24 am »
Nice car and good plans  :happy2:

I've completed a similar plan, and it surprised a few folk at the recent JKM rolling road day as (apart from a couple of minor exterior parts) she looks pretty much stock.

Offline matt_TFSI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 10:37:05 am »
Nice car and good plans  :happy2:

I've completed a similar plan, and it surprised a few folk at the recent JKM rolling road day as (apart from a couple of minor exterior parts) she looks pretty much stock.

Good stuff! Did you do the work yourself? What issues came up if any? Do you have any pointers for me? :jumping:

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 11:25:52 am »
Sadly, I'm really not competent enough to do the work myself. One of my mates is an excellent mechanic, so for most parts fitting, i've used him (which has saved me a fortune).

Purchased various parts over the past year and went to stage 2+ level through the various stages. It wasn't quite making the expected Stg2+ power, so I purchased a replacement K03 as JKM said that is was possible that my wastegate may have been cracked - see RedRobins cracked wastegate thread. (it eventually turned out not to be the case). Decided that I wanted a little more, so purchased K04, injectors and all pipework from James on here when a piston ring blew on his BWA.

I wanted a drive-in, drive-out service with the mapping, so I passed the car and the box of parts over to Alex at AKS Tuning. His prices were far better value (imo) than other quotes that I received, and his level of service and support really is second to none (imo)  :happy2:

Tips if I were to do it again? Decide the direction you want from the start - which it seems that you already have.  :happy2: I've spent money buying various parts (including a K03) which have never been used. (Reminds me that I should put this spare turbo in the classifieds)

Keep an eye on the classifieds here - loads of parts come up for sale all the time, so there are some bargains to be had  :happy2:

I probably wouldn't go for a milltek (as mine suffered really bad from cracks etc) Alex rescued it and made it stronger than standard, and really how it should have left the factory. I've heard that there were good and bad batches of exhaust from them, so quality issues may have been corrected.

From comments and discussions from various tuners, i'd deffo recommend the APR HPFP over internals - just for added piece of mind (imo).

Before others jump all over your power plans, definitely opt for some choice other mods too (arbs, brakes, mounts etc) to get the most out of the car  :happy2:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 11:28:53 am by GarethB »

Offline matt_TFSI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:43:00 pm »
Sound advice, thanks. That's pretty bad on Milltek's part considering the price of their systems. My exhaust is currently a hybrid of custom & 'off the shelf parts' so should be interesting getting it to fit right :laugh:. I'm pretty confident the direction/final power figures I'm headed towards too. Gathering in all the parts is tedious and is making me wish I'd just waited for a complete set up to come up  :sad: The biggest purchase alongside the turbo itself are the injectors, although I'm considering using rs4 ones (cheaper). I know these have a slightly different spray pattern but are used regularly in US ko3-ko4 , does anyone have any experience using these??

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 08:19:49 pm »
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline matt_TFSI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 06:31:34 am »
Thanks for the link mate :happy2: I've done a deal for some injectors and pipework, Hpfp to go (won't be this month!) and I'm there! For A LOT less than I originally budgeted  :jumping: Mapping is going to be costly but that was always going to be fixed around the £500 mark :sad:. Really want to get stuck into this now!!

Offline matt_TFSI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 02:01:35 pm »
Bought some brand new injectors and all the Ko4 pipe work from jon-TFSI (great username! :laugh:) so a big thanks to him for doing a great price and posting them too :happy2:. This will be getting fitted in january when I'm back home for two weeks so it can be mapped straight away in march  :driver: really cannot wait to start!

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 03:18:21 pm »
Its Pretty simple to do , I got everything for cheap a brand new k04 all the pipework and injectors etc for £700 , I already had the autotech fuel pump internals and audi s3 intercooler , Threw a forge twintercooler on 2 keep things a bit cooler.

Stupidly what i done was went to a tuner after i had built it up who said they could map it no problem, This was only to tide me over until such times as i could afford a better map as i didn't want to run about in a car that was not running properly and over boosting etc. They were going to do it for a lot cheaper than anywhere else so i went , they failed to map it they claimed there was problems with x y z went away got a few new parts went back ...same thing again they were getting 320bhp from it but with major boost spikes etc. Ended up i was not happy and as far as i was concerned i couldnt be bothered with the company so i eventually saved up a bit more cash then revo had 20% percent off which btw for stage 3 was still £800 but atleast it was £800 that worked and it produced 370bhp

I hope you know that you will more than likely destroy your clutch so you will possibly need a new one!

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 03:22:15 pm »
I hope you know that you will more than likely destroy your clutch so you will possibly need a new one!

I can definitely agree with the above  :signLOL:

Offline james

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 03:41:02 pm »
Its Pretty simple to do , I got everything for cheap a brand new k04 all the pipework and injectors etc for £700 , I already had the autotech fuel pump internals and audi s3 intercooler , Threw a forge twintercooler on 2 keep things a bit cooler.

Stupidly what i done was went to a tuner after i had built it up who said they could map it no problem, This was only to tide me over until such times as i could afford a better map as i didn't want to run about in a car that was not running properly and over boosting etc. They were going to do it for a lot cheaper than anywhere else so i went , they failed to map it they claimed there was problems with x y z went away got a few new parts went back ...same thing again they were getting 320bhp from it but with major boost spikes etc. Ended up i was not happy and as far as i was concerned i couldnt be bothered with the company so i eventually saved up a bit more cash then revo had 20% percent off which btw for stage 3 was still £800 but atleast it was £800 that worked and it produced 370bhp

370bhp im impressed no wmi?

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 04:35:59 pm »
Nope no wmi ..

I was impressed at 1st then i thought to myself i bet the rollers are out so its since been rr'd at 3 places now with roughly all the same numbers. (368.9) (369.1) and the odd one out (374.6) good old rr lottery :)