Make a donation

Author Topic: Few questions from soon to be new GTI owner  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Squirrelofdoom

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Few questions from soon to be new GTI owner
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:34:11 pm »
Hi guys,

I currently drive an Audi S3 8L, but am looking to move into a Mk5 GTI. Will be looking to sell up and buy within the next couple of months. Just have a couple questions before I do :)

- Is there a list of things I should look out for with these cars when buying? I'm really familiar with the 1.8t engine with a K04 turbo from the Audi ownership; but this is a completely different lump and turbo, so need to get to grips with it! (At least I won't have a haldex system to worry about anymore!)

- I bought some new wheels for the Audi very recently; old S3's have a 5x100 PCD - whereas the Mk5 GTI's have 5x112 yes? That being said, I could get some adapters and whang them on. However, the S3 has a standard offset of ET35, my wheels are ET26 - giving my 9mm wider track on each side. What is the standard offset for the Mk5 GTI? I've heard it's ET45, which would mean I'm giving it an extra 19mm each side!! Would this cause a rubbing issue? The wheels are 18" x 8J - tyres off the top of my head are 18x40x225

- Once I get the car, are there a standard set of "out of the box" mods to do which everyone does? I'm used to stuff like N249 bypass, FMIC, Forge 007 DV, new TIP etc etc on the S3; anything like this list for the Mk5 GTI?

Thanks a lot guys! Sure i'll have more questions once I get into ownership :)

-Aran

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: Few questions from soon to be new GTI owner
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 11:15:40 pm »
Welcome along.  :happy2:

Wouldn't say there are any must have mods straight away, depends on what your palns are for the car, keep it stock, show or go?

If you go for an Edition30 or Pirelli they have the K04 turbo on board whereas the earlier Mk5's are K03 turbo'd. K04 turbo has a lot more headroom so 300 bhp is achievable with a stage 1 map and posssibly just a decent CAI whereas K03 cars are around 250 with similar spec.

If you get an early Mk5 then change the DV to a later Revision one (personally I would go of a Revision G), holds boost better.

Get yourself a high spec car to start with and that will save ££££ in retrofits alone!  :laugh: 

Happy car hunting.

:drinking:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 08:50:48 am »
Welcome,

I pretty much agree with what MC has said.

As for wheels standard 18's are 18x7.5J 5x112 ET51, most aftermarket are 8x18 and the ET most people go up to is 45, you might need to do the arch screw delete mod (2 seconds to do). As for tyres, 18's are 225/40/18 92Y XL.

Common things to watch out for whilst buying are:

whistling noise when on boost would probably mean the DV is split (only £35 for a rev G from stealers),

rust, main areas are around the top lip of the front arch's and where the front arch bolts to the seal (VW sort this out for free or 70/30 depending on their mood) others places I've heard is round the rear arches and boot under the screen or around the boot badge.

See if its had any "recalls" done, the last one being cars upto 07/57 having the coil packs replaced FOC, I can't remember any others atm.

There was also a facelift around 06 where the fogs went from projector to reflector, glass went from blue tint to green, aerial went from in the rear window to the roof as well as some other subtle changes. Late cars and pirelli's I've seen with RNS's fitted rather than the older units.

Also watch out for imports, easiest way to tell would be the lack of an alarm system and this would effect your insurance premium or you could even struggle to get insured. best way to check for an alarm would be to look for the interior alarm/anti tilt disable button on the B pillar and the sensor above the rear passenger side window.

Thats about all I can think of atm

Offline Squirrelofdoom

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 11:55:47 am »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips! A few useful things to look out for. I'm so used to modding the S3 straight out of the box, that it seems odd not having a whole raft of things to do to the car :) Maybe that's what a car 5 years younger does for you :)

I've got a mate with a Mk5 GTI and he said i should try and find a pre-face lift one because the interior quality was a bit better etc.

Cheers,
Aran