Make a donation

Author Topic: Long life oil  (Read 902 times)

Offline TomGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • PIRELLI EDITION
    • Email
Long life oil
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:40:11 pm »
I've recently brought my 08 Golf GTI and I'm just trying for make sure everything is up to date in my service history book, the car could probably do with a few things and thought it would be wise to get it all done at once:

Spark plugs which I all ready have.
Air filter.
Brake fluid.
Oil change???

Ive been looking though the service book and I noticed that the garage I brought the car from has used normal oil when the car as previously had Long Life Oil in.

What is your views on using Long life oil and I will probably end up servicing the car every year for piece of mind and I will be getting it done at the garage to get the service stamps.

The car also suffers from cold starts I first thought this could be down to the spark plugs but could this be down to the oil?
GTI Pirelli - Reflex Silver - 5dr - 58 - B12 Sportline kit!

Sold ~ GTI - Mk5 - Pearl Black -  Bluefin - 3dr - 08

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
Re: Long life oil
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 02:15:59 pm »
Hi Tom,

There are loads and loads of threads on this subject. In a nutshell,your gti should be on Long Life oil.

Do a search and you will see this had already been discussed in depth over the years.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Offline Starshaped

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 04:00:05 pm »
5w/30 longlife 504.00 or 5w/40 502.00 for 10k,either is ok.

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 08:46:45 pm »
Sorry to jump in on this thread but just a quick question - had my PCV CHANGED AT VW Nuneaton last week and they topped up with a litre of oil - invoice said they used "Helix HX7 10W-40"?
Is this the wrong oil then?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 09:16:08 pm »
Sorry to jump in on this thread but just a quick question - had my PCV CHANGED AT VW Nuneaton last week and they topped up with a litre of oil - invoice said they used "Helix HX7 10W-40"?
Is this the wrong oil then?

I hope you didn't pay to have your PCV changed? It's very simple to do at home  :happy2:

I don't think the Helix oil meets the requirements of 504 etc. They should have used Castrol Edge 5w30  :happy2:

To put your mind at rest, that oil won't do any harm (oil is oil after all - and it was only a litre).

Just to note: if they got a litre in, your oil was on the minimum level  :surprised: - check your oil regularly as it won't do your engine any good to be low on oil
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:18:17 pm by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 09:49:01 pm »
Yep £170! An expensive car wash! Covered by warranty direct though so all good - only had the car a month - was serviced in may so thought oil level should be ok - ill keep my eye on it from now on - how much should it be using? I hear they use a bit?
So castrol 5w 30 is the oil of choice?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:22:50 am »
Yeah you can't go wrong with the castrol. Try Asda or (at the moment) Halfords for the best price  :happy2:

Mine uses a litre of oil every 2k miles regardless of how I drive it so I regularly check mine
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr