Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 rear bumper cracked by sleepy Hyundai 4 x 4 driver......  (Read 1402 times)

Offline galaxie500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 13
  • 56 plate 5 door in Black Pearl Metallic

I was stationary in the Golf on Saturday when I felt and heard a terrific bang and saw the Hyundai Santa Fe (ridiculous name) rammed up my rear end.
The driver was very apologetic, it was a rental car and he admitted full responsibility.  Annoyingly, the rear bumper was totally resprayed a few months ago when a neighbour clipped the corner.
The loss adjuster of Enterprise Rental Cars telephoned this morning for details and said I could let them do the repair at Nationwide Repair Centre or a bodyshop of my choosing.  The previous body shop I used was very efficient but seeing as someone else is paying I called VW in Battersea near me. They don't have a bodyshop on site so use Exan in North London.  I've done a search and the consensus is Exan is incredibly expensive - but are they any good?  I guess the chances are their quote will be too dear for Enterprise to sanction.
Any other ideas for a good repair to the Eddy?

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bce02kvctjkjrpr99272v3g0ip&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Edition 30 rear bumper cracked by sleepy Hyundai 4 x 4 driver......
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:16:16 am »
I would take it back to the bodyshop that did your repair a few months ago... providing the work was up to your standards?

Offline BlackGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:41:06 pm »
I Would defiantly avoid Nationwide car body shops as they are Bonus run workshops and everyone knows what work you get when you are rushed and up against it.
If you we're happy with the work you had done at the pervious garage then I would use them again.
Just because someone may charge the earth doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to get an A1 job done.
Good luck with everything.

Offline galaxie500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:48:46 pm »
Thanks BlackGTI
I was happy with certain aspects of my previous repair but 2 or 3 months down the line the colour match is not as precise as I'd have hoped and they didn't remove the bumper for painting resulting in some masking marks.  Overall, a fair job but we want perfection!
Cheers.

Offline BlackGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:28:18 pm »
Silvers are not the best colours to match. nearly every metallic colour needs to be blended for best results.
My advise is which ever garage you choose to use make sure you are clear on what sort of job you expect from them, that way you should not be disappointed when collecting it from the garage.
Also have a good look around it on collection, as once you have taken it away from the garage, if you find anything wrong then it can be hard to prove it was the garages fault.

Offline galaxie500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 10:21:12 pm »
 I've been around cars for more than 30 years now (just had my 30 year anniversary of passing my test!) worked in the motor trade for VW/Audi and at body shops in the US and rebuilt a number of vehicles of my own and worked on countless others. Of course one takes a careful look at the work one has paid good money for but in the previous case, it was a blindingly sunny day, the car was cleaned and the new paint appeared to blend well with the old. The job cost £200 cash and to be fair, it wasn't bad even when I contemplated the mismatch later under less sunny conditions.  It does appear though that the clear coat has yellowed somewhat; it looks worse under certain light conditions.  Now however, an insurance company is paying for this repair, the work has to be up to scratch(!), they will replace both bumper parts and paint to my spec. including the lower panel to black. A fine tooth comb will not be fine enough and it'll not be accepted unless I'm totally happy. Thanks for your interest.

Offline felix!

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 04:46:13 am »
I Would defiantly avoid Nationwide car body shops as they are Bonus run workshops and everyone knows what work you get when you are rushed and up against it.

not always true, where i work now and previous bodyshop i worked in, both are bonus based and the work is spot on

Offline felix!

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 04:48:19 am »
It does appear though that the clear coat has yellowed somewhat; it looks worse under certain light conditions.

that can be down to cheaper lacquers/hardeners'thinners being used

cheaper products can have a yellowy tint to them, more expensive products are clear