Make a donation

Author Topic: TF51 VRS - R Tech/BBT Hybrid K03 330/400  (Read 25482 times)

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 11
    • The Veneers Cover Band
TF51 VRS - R Tech/BBT Hybrid K03 330/400
« on: November 05, 2012, 06:01:15 pm »
Hi folks, been on here for a while now and find it to be a very useful resource, lots of nice cars to while away the hours looking at.
My wife has a Mk5 TDI Match and I have an Octavia vRS FSiT, which I thought I would share here - come on, it's just like a bigger Mk5 Golf GTi isn't it?! :lol:

I've had it just over 12 months and have performed a few select modifications in the time I've had it. I'll try and document as many as I can remember whilst lifting as much of this from another forum.

After reducing my commute dramatically, I went looking for a turbo petrol car where fuel efficiency wouldn't be as important. I wanted a Mk5 GTi but budget constraints and practicality (playing in a band and owning some big kit) meant it wasn't really going to happen. I'd thought about an Octavia in the past, went looking for one with some specific requirements and came home with this:

DSC_5949 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

DSC_5970 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

2007, 58K miles, 18" Zeniths, Maxidot, Cruise, TPMS, Xenons, dual climate, Auto-wipers and an Auto-dip mirror but strangely no Auto-lights (a few around I believe).
The chap I bought it off also gave me the £100 vouchers he'd been given for taking out the service plan, which I used for a new set of wiper blades, some rubber mats and a new aerial as the amp had packed up in the original one.

I was never in the mind to make a list of things to do, but the cambelt and pump were due, it needed lowering and remap and I wanted to retrofit parking sensors as that was the only option I had compromised on. I also wanted to add DAB as I'd had an aftermarket DAB HU in the previous car and can't deal with Radio 1, more choice is needed.

First off I replaced the repeater unit in the driver's door mirror, the next job to have the cam belt and water pump replaced with OE kit by Nass-Tech in Leicester and then discovered that the a/c pump had packed up. I managed to get this replaced with a current spec Sanden unit, guaranteed for 2 years, for less than half what Skoda wanted to charge me, annoying but not unheard of on these I suppose.

I bought and fitted a Parrot kit along with an Intelli-mute (for CAN controlled cars and saves having to find a switched live somewhere) and replaced the sidelights with white 501s to match the xenons, LED number plate lamps and Silvatec indicator lamps.

Then I started taking pictures!

First proper mod and must have was an RCD510DAB and an aerial. I've looked into having the SMDs replaced with green to match the rest of the dash, but it's not that much of a pain really. The biggest PITA of a job was to replace the CAN gateway I sourced from Eddie NL, but necessary to prevent battery drain I guess.

IMG_0701 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

New fascia panel source and Bob's your uncle.

IMG_0725 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Spray pattern on the washer jet was also not what it once was

IMG_0715 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

New on the left, old still fitted, design has changed slightly.

I got whacked by an ambulance on a call, who subsequently denied any contact.

DSC_5812 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

This the best I could do with the paint cleaner, but the damage was through the paint.

DSC_5871 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Only one thing for it, time for the parking sensors.

IMG_0872 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

I then went for an induction kit to replace the cracked and battered engine cover/airbox and came up with this

IMG_0890 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Followed by a remap courtesy of Motech in Northampton. I went to Motech based on a recommendation I read on this site, however after rewriting the map a second time it wasn't what I had hoped it would be, didn't think it was especially good and decided to have it overwritten (more to follow). Turns out I was not the only one not especially happy as the first poster has also been elsewhere I believe. Following the first map:

KU07 RR by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Having fitted the RCD, I felt I wasn't making best use of it in conjunction with a Parrot kit and wanted to lose the external mic. I also wanted some caller ID without an extra screen (eg Parrot CK3100, etc) and started looking for a solution. I don't have an MFSW, only available on DSG cars, so an OE car kit was out of the question if I wanted to use the Maxidot to control the functions so went for a Fiscon as an alternative. Great bit of kit, if a little pricey, but worth it.

IMG_1004 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

The Code:Red stuff wasn't really doing it for me, didn't really want an open induction kit so got in touch with ITG back in May last year and asked if there was a possibility they would be developing a kit for the 2.0 FSiT. Great news was they were.

photo(1) by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

photo(2) by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

It was also time for lows. I spent a long time deliberating over whether to go for springs and shocks or coilovers. I can't get Sportline springs for the Octavia, which was annoying as the Pro Kit didn't go low enough for me. I also considered an H&R Cup kit (-50mm, to give a drop of -35mm or so) or Weitec GTs. In the end I settled on Bilstein B14s and had these fitted.

photo(4) by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Settled down a bit with a couple of threads left to use

DSC_5999 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

I found these incredibly hard to begin with and thought I had done the wrong thing. These have since bedded in quite nicely although it would be nice if the car looked a little lower, but I think I am just outside the optimal operating height of the B14s anyway.

Car was in need of a detail and, whilst I had all the kit, I really needed some help with my rotary technique. Booked in with MCC for a bit of training and help, I got to grips with a couple of lightweight machines and found these much easier to handle.

DSC_6026 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

With a couple of layers of Race Glaze Black Label

DSC_6037 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

DSC_6046 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Bit too blue, needs more white.

DSC_6070 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Off to Euro Car Parts

IMG_1216 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

And a new cam follower fitted in July, along with a later revision PCV to try and cure the low fuel pressure issue (hasn't done so yet)

IMG_1325 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

I also managed to get an Autotech rear ARB from Rob at W8. I sent the car for its free service and got it back with a shopping list instead, including perished ARB bushes. I decided I was going to replace the whole bar rather if it was coming off. With new drop links, the result is fantastic making the car ride better over a broken surface and really tightening things up in fast corners.

IMG_1322 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

The next thing was to get the map sorted out. The car was OK until you really wanted to give it the beans when it was really lacking, especially when it came on boost. My VCDS logs showed it to be running LOADS of boost, possibly a little too much maybe, so started reading up and shopping around. I was directed to APR and by APR to C&R in Nottingham, who rewrote the Motech map with an APR stage 1 map, switchable between stock, 95 RON, 98 RON and valet mode. This is so much smoother than the old map, so much nicer to drive, seems to give slightly better economy and makes the car what it should be - I like very much how quickly the car winds up and gets going with such little effort. I had always used diesels until this car and this out-diesels a diesel for torque delivery, pulling in 5th like it would in a higher gear in another car.

IMG_1384 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Around this time I replaced the 3 Dunlops and one HarryMango (Marangoni) that were on the car when I picked it up for some Pilot Sport 3s, which again make the car feel even better, very positive and give lots of feedback on the road. Wet grip is also prety good too.

The wheels were a bit scabby, having been blown in by a dealer on a pre-sale refresh. They were done whilst still fitted to the car which meant the bottoms of the calipers were painted silver, the dirt on the wheel backs hadn't been removed and so had been painted over which was now started to flake off. I started thinking about a refurb and bought some Audi A3 Sport wheels, then decided I couldn't be arsed messing around go to and from the refurb place, etc and decided to get a new set of wheels. First I bought some Scirocco Interlagos, which I then learned may not fit over a big brake upgrade if that became interesting. Then I bought some Neuspeed RSe07s on the spur of the moment without realising they were too wide and too offset without running a silly drop, which was never going to happen.

I started shopping around for wheels and again got in touch with Rob at W8. The choice was between the BBS VZ033 Pescaralike or a set of Pro Race 1.2s. I think the BBS would have ultimately looked a little small on the Octavia so made the decision and ended up with these:

Untitled by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

I know there are lots of them around but there is no other wheel that offers the VFM that the Pro Race do. Light-weight, low pressure cast (which gives them the strength as well as helping them stay light) in the UK, direct fit onto the 57.1mm hub and crucially fit over big brakes. I don't know what it would have cost to have had a set made without the Team Dynamics casting in the rim, I might look into their exchange programme if these ever need to be refurbed for now they'll have to do.

DSC_6590 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

DSC_6573 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Most recently, I had started to really cook the brakes and thought I ought to do something about it. I guess I could've gone for better fluid and uprated pads and discs, but I wanted to increase brake performance as well in the event that I took the car on track. Besides, I'd already bought a set of wheels that could fit over a BBK, so why wouldn't I upgrade?! :lol:
I looked at the S3/R32 upgrade but confess to having been put off by the increased weight. I read a Dave B post on this forum to the effect that due to the people who had started making copies of his mounting brackets for the NQSBBK, he wasn't going to make any more and had X amount of sets left. I accidentally sent Dave an email and ended up with these:

By the time they turned up, I'd stopped having the "What I have I done?" thoughts and decided I was going to have to get myself a set of calipers, picking up a pair that were as scabby as this:

I knew I wasn't going to attempt to repaint them myself as a) I wanted a proper job doing and b) didn't have the skills or tools to take a set of these apart. The scabby ones were duly despatch to Jonny at Brake Caliper Refurbs who worked his magic.

john's-porsche-calipers by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

john-calipers by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

I know I should pay more attention but what you get back is a set of calipers that have been stripped, blasted and powdercoated, a logo lacquered in followed by a ceramic coating to protect against the elements and brake fluid spills (it does btw). New bleed nipples are fitted and I'm pretty sure these had new dust seals as well.

These were a breeze to fit with the only bit of hard working being to grind the casting moulds off the hubs so the brackets mated properly.

DSC_6613 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

And following my winter prep of Collinite 476 over Jeff's Acrylic Prime and Race Glaze Nano Wheel Sealant.

DSC_6621 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

DSC_6700 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

DSC_6741 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

I'm not keen on the Team Dynamics wheel centres and have been looking for a solution. I'm not sure Skoda centres will be a direct fit so bought some cheap universal caps off ebay and fitted some badges I had made up ages ago. They are not perfect by any means but they're not too bad.

Which brings us up to date with today's job of fitting them to the car:

There are a few things I'd like to do:

SuperPro Anti Lift Kit
New rear control arms as the adjument bolts have completely seized, these will most likely be complemented by some poly bushes
MDI retrofit
Auto-lights retrofit (I have a switch ready to go)
An engine cover is needed - either a chopped FSiT cover or Audi TTS modded to suit

I am also considering going stage 2 - the next job is to replace the fuel pressure sensor in the event this is causing the low pressure fault to be logged. If the pump is knackered, I may just upgrade it and add a downpipe to go Stage 2 but I'll have to save up a bit more for that. I'm not a massive fan of the TD wheels and would prefer something else, but budget does not allow for that at present.

Other than that, I am enjoying using the car and looking to get a track day session booked and see what sort of power the car makes on the rollers. It feels like it ought to be in the region of 250bhp, but I'm expecting it to be a little less with a stage one map.

If you managed to get to the end of this essay, well done and hope you enjoyed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:39:13 pm by john a »

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: John's GTi....Octavia....(it's a Mk5 really!!)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 06:11:20 pm »
Looking good so far. :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • The Veneers Cover Band
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:41:00 am »
Cheers
It's my daily so it has to remain reliable, but I enjoy "enhancing" it as time and money allow.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 11:26:46 am »
Nice Octavia there mate. You must get the BCS full system when you go stage 2. They used my car to design the system on and it sounds awesome!
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • The Veneers Cover Band
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 06:14:42 pm »
Cheers  :happy2:

I've looked at the BCS systems, they do require some serious amount of courage on my part to be able to hand over the cash for something like that.
I assume that if I wanted to go downpipe and sports cat first, this could be joined to a standard cat back system and then updated later, although it would make more financial sense to do it in one go.

I am planning a career change in the next 12 months and money might start to get a bit tight  :laugh:

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • The Veneers Cover Band
Re: John's Octavia vRS
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:30:10 pm »
Took a trip down to London for a meet with another forum, took a few pics and have a couple of shots of my car.

DSC_6755 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

J0hnsRS by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Most recently, replaced interior lights with LEDS

Got a proper VAG 12v blanking cap (I am very excited about this) to replace the crap one from another unidentifiable car

photo by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

Fitted one of these:

327074_x600 by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

These dogbone mount inserts make a lot of difference and power seems more immediately useable and there is definitely less wheel hop. I reckon this in combination with an anti-lift kit would make a significant difference.

Then I spied a Race Blue FL car outside the house and had to take a shot, except I couldn't stand far back enough on the other side of the road to fit it in.
As commented on Flickr, is the blue one a 4x4?  :grin:

Lastly the knackered locking bolt finally succumbed to a Dynomec tool, 14lb hammer and brute force. I think this is probably the only way to go with these ABC type wheel bolts, but it came off, I think if I'd lost or damaged the key, I would have tried a master set before writing off all four wheel bolts but as this one was shagged anyway, it was less heartbreaking.

Doing a bit of shopping in the next week or so, will update as and when.
Thanks for reading.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 09:18:28 am »
nice car, some nice mods too
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • The Veneers Cover Band
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 10:37:08 pm »
Cheers Ed, have replied to your PM (eventually) on the other site.

Have done a couple of things and have a couple of things planned, all being well.
I am trying to get into AKS if Alex can squeeze me in and will report back once I've done the next lot of stuff.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:40:32 pm by john a »

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • The Veneers Cover Band
Re: John's APR Stage 1 Octavia vRS
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 05:31:18 pm »
Needs a big update writing but for now, a pic of the car's current state.

Will put a bit more down shortly.

Offline n17chm

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: John's APR Stage 1 Octavia vRS
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 07:58:57 am »
Lovely car, attention to detail is nice to see!!

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • The Veneers Cover Band
John's APR Stage 2+ Octavia vRS
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 02:41:16 pm »
Cheers  :happy2:

Just thinking about where I got to in this thread, so to update in no particular order.
The first trip I made to AKS was around the beginning of January (I think) when I had Autotech HPFP internals fitted, initially because of a suspect HPFP causing the occasional fuel cut, but also because I did ultimately want to go Stage 2 with the car. With that installed, and the Stage 1 tune, the car produced 245bhp ish on Dynodaze's rollers (next door to R Tech) - a much better result than the previous Motech map and a curve very similar to the shape of APR's own.

I'm trying to remember what order it was all done in but I also had a Superpro Anti Lift Kit fitted at the same time as they were viewed more favourably (certainly in quality terms) than the Whiteline product. With this fitted there was definitely noticeably reduced wheel hop and the car just seems to turn in and drive better.

A set of pressed plates followed

And then a Blackvue drive recorder

Wired up like so with an add-a-fuse thingy

With a couple of black caps from AKS and another small fortune spent, engine bay made to look slightly tidier.

But who wants an Audi badge in the engine bay of their Skoda? It's a work in progress, needing a rub down and a final coat of primer before moving onto colour.

Not bad for a first attempt, I've very quickly learned how to use filler and would do it differently next time, but high-build plastic etch primer (don't ask me, that's what's printed on the label) covers a multitude of sins).

I also bought Rob W8's CVR105 wheels as I was still running round on winter tyres and needed a second set so I could take my time over having the PS3s put back onto the TDs.

The car also got a fairly rare clean and decon before being topped with Definitive Wax Synthetic Edition

And some Czech number plate surrounds

Still here?! Good
Earlier in the year I decided that, if the opportunity presented itself, with the HPFP internals uprated I would get an exhaust and go ahead with a Stage 2+ map. The opportunity presented itself pretty quickly and when Mr 56OctyVRS split the BCS exhaust and 200 cell cat from his car when selling up, I snapped off Matt's hand and had it swapped onto mine, followed by an RS4 FPRV (again at AKS) and the corresponding Stage 2+ software at APR. I've not yet had the opportunity to run the car on a dyno, but it was noticeably bloody quicker than it had been the previous day.

I also wanted the car a touch lower and a little more comfortable as I think I was operating the Bilsteins on the limit of what was acceptable for a compromise of height and comfort. Another conversation with AKS and a set of H&R Monotubes were ready to go on.

With these on, it's a little lower than it was before

But also very comfortable and there is room to bring it down a little further. The undertrays catch on speed bumps occasionally but I just need to amend my driving style slightly.

Lastly, Eddie-NL paid a visit a couple of weeks ago and fitted a couple of bits, one of which was my autolights retrofit. My car had been made with a light and rain sensor (and fitted with the tech for the wipers and an auto-dip mirror) but didn't get auto lights. In case you're interested, here's a pic of the light switch.

Offline AndrewJB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
  • die gelbe Baron
    • Email
Re: John's APR Stage 2+ Octavia vRS
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 01:53:36 am »
Nice thread  :happy2:
2014 Seat Leon Cupra 280 VWR Springs, VWR Intake, REVO Stage1
LeonOC.com & TDISport.com Administrator

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 07:42:13 pm »
So what's next then John?  .. or are you done now?   :signLOL:
2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 09:39:42 am »
K04  :happy2:
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324