Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear shocks  (Read 739 times)

Offline Gaz_Vrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
Rear shocks
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:09:19 pm »
Has anyone else had to replace their rear shocks at fairly low milage? Ive had a clonk/clunk for a while and decided to change the topmounts in a hope it would go. Droplinks are like new, so they have been ruled out. Turns out that the rear shocks are not rebounding in the slightest and are causing uneven tyre wear. Car has only done 40k on a '57' plate. Surely they should last longer than that?? :stupid:

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
Re: Rear shocks
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:41:49 pm »
My guess would be that they should last longer, but its luck of the draw some times and even VERY low mileage and VERY new cars have issues. Rear springs should be fairly hasstle free and 'cheap' to replace

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 11:38:36 pm »
Assuming they're not defective, it depends on the life they've had. Mainly motorway miles and they'll practically last forever.
'07 Red manual

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:51:26 am »
i think i may have a problem with mine too. Whenever i get 2 people in the back the car scrapes on speedbumps. Checked under the car and everything is all intact (exhaust, underbody cover etc). its annoying as i bought the car so i can get people in the back rather than my old slammed polo.

Its a 2005 Golf 1.9 TDi Sport.

First i suspected its maybe because the suspension is a bit low as its a sport model, but my brother had the exact same spec and his never scraped.

Any thoughts peeps?

Offline Gaz_Vrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:26:56 pm »
I'm having a pair of new genuine shocks fitted on friday so we'll see if there is an improvement. :driver: