Make a donation

Author Topic: Changing the rear bumper and lights?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Changing the rear bumper and lights?
« on: November 07, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »
This weekend I need to change my rear bumper from GTI to R32 so am looking for a guide to help me out. Is it best to also remove the top bumper when changing?

Also want to change my rear lights at the same time, any guides available for this?

Thanks in advance :happy2:

P.S. Reason I 'need' to change the bumper is because I'm having my new shiny BCS exhaust (R32 style) fitted next Friday (can't wait :party:)
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: Changing the rear bumper and lights?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:25:06 pm »
Lights: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36408.0.html

Bumper: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914

I'm pretty sure it's much easier to remove the top & bottom sections rather than just the bottom.
'07 Red manual

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:29:40 pm »
Yep take both off together, it's only a few more screws and makes life so much simpler!
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:43:45 pm »
Lights: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36408.0.html

Bumper: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914

I'm pretty sure it's much easier to remove the top & bottom sections rather than just the bottom.

Thanks mate :happy2:

Sounds like I have to remove the outer rear lights to remove the upper bumper anyway so will be a good time to swap the lights also :smiley:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 02:21:20 pm »
What exhaust set up are you having with your R32 rear?

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 03:10:34 pm »
What exhaust set up are you having with your R32 rear?

Twin centre R32 style. Have always loved the R32 rear end. That paired with the GTI front is my perfect mk5 :happy2:

The lights are the same as yours.

Offline Bryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 03:30:42 pm »
I have just done this mod and i would recomend you take the whole bumper off as i found it quite fidgety prising bottom section of.

You will luve your bcs system  :happy2:
Forge Twintake. BCSautomotive turbo back exhaust with sports cat. Stage 2 remap. R32 rear lights and bumper. Team heko wind deflectors. mtec bulbs. Ed30 bbs wheels.  Eibach springs. Goodyear Eagle F1 asy2s. NQSBBK(330mm)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 03:37:54 pm »
I have just done this mod and i would recomend you take the whole bumper off as i found it quite fidgety prising bottom section of.

You will luve your bcs system  :happy2:

Yes am planning on removing the top part also.

Am going for the Powervalve Sport TBE. This will be my first performance mod, can't wait to get it now.

Offline gizmo68

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
  • We're here for a good time, not a long time
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 03:50:33 pm »
Real easy job to do and you may as well remove the whole bumper as the lights are coming out anyway.

Don’t forget the LED rears may need coding as well. (I know US ones do)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:58:43 pm by gizmo68 »
VCDS HEX-NET & VCP owner (covers all VAG cars)
(PM me if you require VCDS or VCP coding or scanning in Kent)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 04:38:18 pm »
Real easy job to do and you may as well remove the whole bumper as the lights are coming out anyway.

So will they not work until they have been coded?

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 04:48:52 pm »

Lights will be fine to use but it is advised to code out the bulb checking side of things as this could lead to the LED's malfunctioning, ill try and find the thread about it.

Edit
Here we go Eddie talks about it here and posts a pic of the VCDS screen you need to change bits on
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53353.msg605427.html#msg605427
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:51:34 pm by Nodz »

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 05:14:43 pm »

Lights will be fine to use but it is advised to code out the bulb checking side of things as this could lead to the LED's malfunctioning, ill try and find the thread about it.

Edit
Here we go Eddie talks about it here and posts a pic of the VCDS screen you need to change bits on
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53353.msg605427.html#msg605427

Ah yes, Ed did mention that when I bought them off him (Thanks for that link). Will see if the guys at BCS can do that for me.