Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI Condition  (Read 1907 times)

Offline stugolf

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
GTI Condition
« on: June 20, 2009, 06:29:50 pm »
Hi guys, I went to see a MK5 GTI today, I didn't have an intention to buy I just wanted to see what you can get for your money.  I saw a 5 door Red GTI 06 plate with 53k, it was from Fords of Winsford in the north west, in my opinion the car was in truly awful condition, with scuffs and dents on most panels and a very bad rub mark on the back bumper, stone chips pretty much covering the front end.  Inside the engine bay looked like a car over 10 years old.  Wheels were also quite badly scuffed.

This wasn't the worst and when I opened the door the interior was simply disgusting with lots of permanent marks on the dash and door cars, dog hair all over the seats and had one hell of a smell! Looked like it had never been hoovered, according to the sales guy it'll pretty much go on the forecourt like this, the car was up for £11,995.00! Is this the type of condition I will have to expect if I go for a slightly older GTI for 10-12k?

Thanks for the advice

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
Re: GTI Condition
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 06:34:24 pm »
Not at all, I sold mine recently for £12k - 05 GTI 56k miles and I like to think it was in pretty good condition for its age.  You need to look at some more, this must have been a one off and not looked after very well - they do age pretty well.

Offline stugolf

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 06:39:07 pm »
Thanks Neg, I saw your's it looked stunning! I do intend to go and see more but I've struggled to find some at the dealers today, quite rare apparently! I'm not quite in a position to buy yet (will be later in the week just not today) so don't want to waste a private sellers time

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 11:25:00 pm »
Dealer stealer = circa £2k sticker mark up plus a miserable "we buy any car" value minus £800 for a trade in.

Far better to get a much loved and pampered example higher or lower mileage and sell yours privately if poss. Be paitient is the key I think, there are too many thrashed and unloved (the horror) out there.

Mk5 is pretty robust though so you prolly won't go too far wrong unless you get a Cypriot/ Saudi field loving stinker.

It's also a great modding platform, loads of neddies and great handling available for propotionately not a lot of money. 

So like always it's a balance between best price for your outgoing car and the best possible car for your money wheter trading up or trading down.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 11:46:07 pm »
Isn't Fords of Winsford a car supermarket?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Merlinman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:09:13 am »
Car equivalent of Netto  :laugh:

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 09:05:45 am »
 :grin:

Pile em high (sounds like on top of each other) and sell em......errr dear...

Offline chip20

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 8
    • http://absolutevaletinguk.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 10:37:33 am »
Hi.Most cars get traded in like that.Surprised they would try and sell a car in that condition!
I have my own valeting company and do a lot of work for the used car traders.The traders I work for always get the cosmetics done before they go on sale!Not many people look after their cars these days!

Offline Rich

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 10:43:35 am »
Surprised they would try and sell a car in that condition!

Me too !!! - i was thinking this... he'll never sell a car damaged like that for £12k... more like £9k
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline chip20

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
    • http://absolutevaletinguk.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 10:54:11 am »
It would put me off stright away!

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 11:18:17 am »
Hi.Most cars get traded in like that.Surprised they would try and sell a car in that condition!
I have my own valeting company and do a lot of work for the used car traders.The traders I work for always get the cosmetics done before they go on sale!Not many people look after their cars these days!

I worked in the trade 20 years ago and most people didn't look after their cars then either. Probably worse today with the 'throw away society' mentality.
Although GTIs have a very large enthusiast following, unfortunately most of the owners who care for their cars properly are the ones who buy them second hand as not that many can afford a brand new one. Many brand new ones are bought as company cars and are not cared for properly (although the maintenance records are usually pretty good owing to lease terms) and it's up to the second or third owner to get the things back up to scratch.
Back in the dark and dingy days where VW made poor performance models (between 1992 and 2005 with very few exceptions!) SEAT took over the mantle of the enthusiasts branch of VAG and the owners of those cars were usually a bit more switched on and looked after their cars a lot better. You could find some really cared for second hand SEATs which made uncared-for VWs look really poor value, however as SEAT have become more mainstream and accepted there are plenty of rough examples of those floating around now too.

There are plenty of good GTIs out there, you just need to be patient.
Just because a car is a one owner, low mileage example doesn't mean to say that the one owner gave a toss about his investment! Because of the GTIs iconic status a lot of people just buy them as a sort of lifestyle statement thing as its a name they recognise and know will be accepted amongst their circle of snobby friends; these are the worst ones and are often the ones that end up in car supermarkets and low rent dealerships as they get passed on through the trade if they end up in a main dealer as a p/ex.
Andy
7R

Offline stugolf

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 02:37:57 pm »
Thanks guys, I had no intention of ever buying a car from a place like this but I wanted to get a free test drive basically  :driver: but I was very shocked by the condition, I've been to see one for under 10k today and it was very nice so I think that was a one off