Make a donation

Author Topic: Mountain Biking - North West England  (Read 580 times)

Offline GTImike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
  • Back in a Golf - Mk7 R
    • Email
Mountain Biking - North West England
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »
Hey up guys

I know that their are a few fellow MTB'ers on here, just wondering where you ride or rate in the North of England. Just getting back into the sport again having bought a second hand 2009 Stumpy FSR elite which is my first decent bike since I sold my Orange to buy a car back in 1994

I'm off to Gisburn Forest early doors this saturday morning again for the second time and cannot wait, it was immense the last time I went and a massive re-introduction to mountain biking after a 15 year lay off. A few of my mates and I try to get out at least once a month and don't want to tire of Gisburn, as awesome as it is, too much of a good thing and all that.

Heard that Grizedale and obviously Llandegla (sp?  :ashamed:) are decent rides too?

I'll try not to break my bike again this time, bust the rear shock on its last outing and snapped the rear mech hanger/damaged my XTR mech the time before.... Not having too much luck with my new bike  :grin:

Mike

2008/58 Tornado Red Edition 30 (No. 1853) 5dr DSG - Gone but never forgotten
2017/66 Tornado Red Golf R 5D - Lasted 6 months before being sold on
Still have a TFSI in the family - 2009/59 Audi S3 8P facelift Stage 2 tuned
Oh and a Mk1 Golf GTI cabriolet

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Mountain Biking - North West England
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:43:14 pm »
We go to gisburn, dalby forest and hamsterley  :happy2:
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:11:12 pm »
Iv had the pleasure of scaring myself stupid at Llandegla quite a few times this year, I take the red trail but always get bullied onto the black one by my mate just to add a few more Km to the ride.  Whilst I have little experience in serious MTB I love the ride, it's punishing, scary and testing in places.  It's got me very much addicted and only 45 mins from my house.  I have a Specialized pro so it's "ok" but hoping to get more involved next year.

Also notice it's quite "scene" there lots of T5 campers :)

Offline GTImike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
  • Back in a Golf - Mk7 R
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:05:01 am »
From all that I have heard, I've got to get down to Llandegla for sure. Scary sounds good to me!! :evilgrin: although I do find the 'idiot' button in my head has been reigned in a little when faced with descents I would have just leapt off as a fearless teen.

Not heard about Dalby or Hamsterley, Russ, I'll give them a google cheers. Although I may be pushing it, trying to get over to North Yorks/North East leaving the good lady with two screaming toddlers all day! How do they compare to Gisburn?

ps... anyone done this track....  :signLOL:

&NR=1&feature=endscreen

2008/58 Tornado Red Edition 30 (No. 1853) 5dr DSG - Gone but never forgotten
2017/66 Tornado Red Golf R 5D - Lasted 6 months before being sold on
Still have a TFSI in the family - 2009/59 Audi S3 8P facelift Stage 2 tuned
Oh and a Mk1 Golf GTI cabriolet

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:13:46 am »
Gisburn is pretty good. I live pretty close.

Grizedale is good too... But with gisburn being closer I go there more

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 10:43:40 pm »
Dalby is great, the red route is about 22 mile. Id say its as good as gisburn but a lot longer. The black route is a bit shorter but more technical
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come