Make a donation

Author Topic: Arch rolling  (Read 3354 times)

Offline scarpicus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
Arch rolling
« on: June 21, 2009, 10:20:35 am »
I plan on having my arches rolled to give me more clearance when i get my coilovers and than lower car and wanted to know has anybody used...http://www.archenemy.co.uk/index.htm or could anyone suggest someone else who could do it in east london

Also should i get arches rolled before i have coilovers on or wait till there installed and would changing front tyres to 215/40/18 from 225/40/18 on a 18x8 wheel give much of a stretch to give even more clearance so i can go low in the front..... :happy2:

Offline Rich

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
Re: Arch rolling
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:32:20 am »
Make sure you get someone who knows how to do it properly...

I dont really have any knowledge on arch rolling - but i'd rather stay away from it..  :chicken:
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 11:29:37 am »
Arch rolling isn't rocket science, but if you have the correct equipment it is relatively easy. You just need to ensure that the arches are heated up so that the paint can flex instead of crack when pressure is applied. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline scarpicus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 11:41:31 am »
so Hurdy do u think i should wait till coilovers are on first before arch rolling and changing tyres

Offline bennylenny88

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • needs moar lowwww
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 01:18:38 pm »
looks like theyve got some experience in a wide range of cars.. id give them a try. can i ask how much? WHEN i can afford coils ill get my arches rolled too :)

2 x cerwin vega 15" subs and MTX 1000D amp with box and complete wiring for sale.. PM for details

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 01:34:51 pm »
so Hurdy do u think i should wait till coilovers are on first before arch rolling and changing tyres

With 215 section rubber you will be able to go fairly low anyway. The extra 5mm rubber clearance should let you drop another 1/2", 12 mm lower than normal without having to touch the arches. Remember though you are ultimately restricted by the ability to turn the wheels rather than any side clearance when you go really low.

Personally if I could lower my car further then I would lower it and see what NEEDS to be done, rather than have the work done just in case. It maybe that you'll get to a level where you are happy and the arch rolling isn't necessary. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 03:11:00 pm »
You dont need your arches rolled IF A) you have an offset of 45mm or higher and B) you are planning a stretch on the tyres.  I have coilivers; one of the lowest sets on the market FK highsport silverlines and ive also got 215/35/18 and they don't catch, no where near catching.

The only thing though is when I first got the coils I put them has far to the ground has I thought I could? there was still about 8 threads left :laugh: when I put it back on the ground it looked badass but it was undrivable :sad: the tyres although they didn't catch in a straight line on corners they nearly pulled the wings off  :evilgrin: the subframe was catching on the slightest wiff off a bump and I could not get near speed bumps cos the front end just wouldn't get over them.

So far has to go I got to the bottom of the street and turned round and came back :chicken: managed to get it in the garden and put the coils up so I could at least not worry about catching any stray slugs going over the road.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 03:13:55 pm by mortygttdi »

Offline scarpicus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 03:43:00 pm »
the offset of my wheels are 40 morty plus my tyres are 225/40/18 so il diffenantly catch the arch.
i think ill get coilovers installed first as hurdy said and than take it from there... :drinking:
morty wats the ride like with 215/35/18 over pot holes and do u think its better to go with that tyre size rather than 215/40/18

Offline jon-tfsi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 07:55:05 pm »
Hey scarpicus I noticed your shocks are for sale in the classifieds. I might be interested in those. What part of the country are you at? I dont have any privilages to PM you as I'm a newbie.
GOLF R Mk7

Offline scarpicus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 01:07:02 am »
Hey scarpicus I noticed your shocks are for sale in the classifieds. I might be interested in those. What part of the country are you at? I dont have any privilages to PM you as I'm a newbie.

Hi Jon and welcome
My koni fsd and eibach pro-kit will be up for sale when i get my coilovers at begin of july you can have second dibs on them as another forum member has said he would be interested in them also... :happy2:

all you need to do to get privilages to pm me or anyone else is to post atleast 10 times ( i think or it might be a bit more can't remember).... :drinking:

Offline jon-tfsi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 08:46:26 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Sparpicus.
Im deffo interested in the suspension. Well here's 3 posts only 7 to go!
GOLF R Mk7

Offline White Rabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 06:38:38 pm »
Hey Buddy,

Couple of my friends have used Arch Enemy in the past from what I have seen there work is good.  I personally got my coilovers fitted first to give me an idea of how low I could run before I carried out any arch work.  I'm running 9x19's wrapped upon 215/35's all round have had the front arch's rolled and pulled slightly from my bodyshop.  If you do consider to use Arch Enemy get incontact with the main chap I belive he looks after the Essex and Hertfordshire area I have been told that he is very good.  But rest asure your paint around the arch my crack?