Make a donation

Author Topic: golfman ( scott ) super brilliant service  (Read 2208 times)

scottm72

golfman ( scott ) super brilliant service
« on: November 10, 2012, 09:02:26 pm »
went to see golfman ( Scott ) today to get some items fitted that where supplied by eddie-nl.
golfman has been helping me out for a few weeks over the phone as I wasn't sure what items I actually needed to complete what I wanted the 510 to do for me.
with his advice I decided to go for the following
rns-510 h
5ko Bluetooth unit
shark fin gps antenna
5 metre extension cable
and last but not least a mk6 complete reverse camera kit
one of the parts eddie-nl was out of stock of was the shark fin aerial but golfman came to the rescue and sourced the almost impossible part for me and had it waiting when I got there.
I started way at the beginning just popping into vw to order a rear parking sensor kit priced at £330 fitted, then went on line to research it.
now you know what its like on this forum, you start with a little thing then before you know it you are emptying your wallet lol when you start saying - oooh that looks nice,,,
anyway I thought to myself what is the point paying vw all that money when eddie can get a hold of the oem camera at virtually the same price,,,,, hey but then I thought I cant have a camera plugging into my rcd 300 so I then decided I needed a 510 unit lol,,,, it just got bigger from there on  :laugh:
after all the great advice from golfman we arranged a day to fit and crossing our fingers the rain would hold off.
went down to see scott by 7.30 am today as we both decided it was a big job and the sooner we start the sooner its done - so 7.30 am start after 70 mile drive it was.
scott got cracked in straight away and I tell you it was damn cold, but within a minute that crank of the first panel coming of was heard,,, I tell you that wakes you up.
scott started with the rear camera and it is a pig of a job and very time consuming, involves a lot of manipulation of existing fitments and needs a skilled hand to fit as remember this camera is designed for the mk6 and you gotta know what you are doing when fitting this,,, an absolute pig of a job I tell you but any problems that came up scott just took it in his stride.
next was the roof aerial / sharkfin with my very stubborn existing aerial that just didn't want to come out lol,,,, again lots of cables and clips you cant even see so you gotta know what you are doing when working on touch alone some of the time.
next up was the Bluetooth unit which scott fitted under my drivers seat, I wasn't sure on that as I know some people have fitted it behind the stereo but once it was in place and perfectly snug in there it soon becomes apparent that this is the best place for it and totally hidden away.
fitting this unit requires every fuse to be taken out of the car one by one and you gotta know what you are doing lol, I was cacking my pants  in case it didn't all go back together, but scott just powered on reassuring me.
also required the clocks to be taken out of the car completely to get all the cables in,,,, job done.
next up was the 510 unit itself,,,, turned out that was the easy bit lol.
I tell you scott probably  had around 50% of the whole interior panels of my car off as he promised me he would hide all the cables and, every time you see a panel come off it still makes you cringe but it was ok lol.
after everything was fitted scott tidied everything up then we sat in the car to decide what little modifications I would like done through the vcds,,,, got a lot of little tricks coded and well happy with that, I got pimped lol.
once all this was done the job was complete,,, and I tell you, even though half my car was carefully ripped to bits you cannot tell anything was out of place,,,, every single part back to oem, absolutely not one cable in sight which I find amazing considering the amount off cables that came with all this kit,,, man there was loads of them.
due to the way scott likes to install things it means that nothing is visible,,, even the mic for the voice control has been fitted into a oem space.
cant stress this enough,,,, my car was 100% back to the way I arrived apart from my new toys lol.
scott even gave me a couple of spare fuses for the camera as I had none at home, just in case I ever needed them.
most people don't get as many parts fitted all at one time and it took around 7 hours to do the job from start to finish, it was bl**dy freezing but scott didn't even stop to drink his coffee and kept going until the job was complete.
tell me a technician that will do that ?
me I just felt like a spare idiot as this was way more technical for me to even attempt to help, so I just watched and learned for 7 hours lol,,, damn the cold weather.
scott checked every system and made sure I knew how to use each one, he also went through different modifications I would like coded on his vcds,,,,, brilliant.
just as we stopped in started to rain lol,,,, lucky.

scott's service and skill is absolutely second to none, not even vw could have done a better job, in fact one of his mates who is a master technician at vw phoned him to ask for advice on some coding lol, that's crazy man.
cant stress enough how much a pig of a job the reverse camera kit is to fit but scott knows what he is doing and I would advice anyone out there who has a 510 unit to get one fitted as it is great fun, and considering the cost of the unit is nearly the same as the parking sensors then it makes sense,,,, what would you rather have fitted to your car,,, a beep beep beep system or a full crystal clear camera that pops out of the tail badge very very impressively.

all the work done by scott was taken in his stride and I cant recommend him highly enough, very very very impressed and my car is spotless and way cooler now.
cheers scott and much appreciated as you can tell by the size of this review

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Offline golfman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
Re: golfman ( scott ) super brilliant service
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 10:07:01 pm »
WOW now thats what i call 1 happy customer!!!!

great to meet you today scott and glad everything went to plan(weather wise)

hope you enjoy your new toys and hope you will be back for more upgrades

cheers

scott :happy2:

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 10:25:41 pm »
Scotts had some excellent teachers :happy2:

Glad it all went to plan mate good on ya both

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 10:27:02 pm »
Scotts had some excellent teachers :happy2:

Glad it all went to plan mate good on ya both

2nd that

A Star
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline golfman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 10:41:22 pm »
Would definitely also like to thank Darren and Ed for all there help with the skills and knowledge i now have to help other people fit toys to there cars!!!!

always on the other end of the phone if i get stuck and there for me in tough situations

Thank you both from the apprentice :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

scottm72

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 10:43:35 pm »
Would definitely also like to thank Darren and Ed for all there help with the skills and knowledge i now have to help other people fit toys to there cars!!!!

always on the other end of the phone if i get stuck and there for me in tough situations

Thank you both from the apprentice :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

yeah and thanks from me as well if you are the apprentice then I must be the, in fact I cant think of a word lol as you done all the work,,, hey I cut a tube lol
cheers again

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:25:55 pm »
Superb - after that write up, I may be after your services as well.....though I might wait till it's warmer!!!  :smiley:

scottm72

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 10:34:34 pm »
Superb - after that write up, I may be after your services as well.....though I might wait till it's warmer!!!  :smiley:
cool, scott wont mind the weather plus you can drop of your car if possible,,,,
better when its warm though as you say lol
just take a parasol and garden heater with you lol,, and some hot dogs, beers, etc etc etc

Offline Mikeygtir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 09:42:21 am »
i'll testify to Scott's weather resilience...

i was frozen through to the bone the nights i was getting toys fitted but it didnt seem to slow him one bit!! lol