Make a donation

Author Topic: Harpreets Building upon Markus the 5th- GT TDi 140 (WARNING:Dreaded BKD Content)  (Read 17978 times)

Offline Harpreetsingh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Nice thread and i can see its taken some time to write. Im not a great fan of the vortex lip and by the looks of things the car is trying to shake that thing off too!  :laugh:

The wheels do look nice and im glad they are being looked after. Its a real shame you've had so many problems but youve been quick to fix them and solve all the problems, fingers crossed for that trouble free 2013 our after!

I drive a 1.9 TDi and wouldnt consider yours to be as low as mine, then again i have so many issues getting to work!  :stupid:  :happy2:

Car is looking tidy and hope to see more soon! Any small interior mods to publish?

Hi Chris and thanks for the post! :) i know what you mean, its an aquired taste im sure- each to their own i guess! HAHA i guess the old birds a little sick of it too :P

Thank you very much, i know i couldve looked after the wheels a little better, not sure how but managed to get some swirl marks on one of them and a minute scuff on the face on one! Ill have that rectified soon enough though!! I know the feeling about running low, im sure there's lower out there than mine like yours haha :P Ill need to have a look at your build thread!!

Unfortunatley, i havent done anything to the interior apart from have a full valet on the interior as the previous owner appears to have shampoo'd it, left the doors closed and ended up smelling heavily of fresh washing (i know, i shouldnt really have complained it couldve been worse!) but it got to the point that when i was driving back home from picking it up my nostrils were burning and my eyes were streaming...! Ill be sure to do a few subtle interior mods too, ill see whats out there haha! :D

Offline Harpreetsingh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Update:-

Feeling a sticking sensation in my clutch, and reading up on the problems that a few people have encountered with the MKV sticky clutch pedal, i felt it was best to get my Clutch Master Cylinder replaced. Theres nothing more annoying than trying to get your bite point and realising the pedal hasnt released back up yet...! In any case, i thought id get my alignment sorted aswell what with lowering the car even further, i never had my wheels realigned.

Turns out someone on Edition38 recommended me to go to AKS Tuning and get Alex to give it a once over. A very pleasent experience indeed! Being the first garage to go to for any work to be carried out other than my Local VW Dealer, i felt less uneasy as i learned that he takes pride in his work! So he gave it a once over and informed me of the following:-

-Rear toe bushes seized
-one CV boot perished
-one CV boot clip missing
-Engine mount bushing perishing

So i decided to get the above replaced bar the engine mount bushings (ill get that done later) which didnt end up being as easy as we'd have hoped...

and with abit of knocking, smashing and dropping various parts it started taking shape:-

i decided to give up on taking pictures at that point so me and my friend decided to get a bite to eat at a local in rural Bedfordshire. After the CV and clips were replaced, rear arms back in with replaced toe bushes, and a clutch master cylinder in it was time to get the old bird aligned. Ill let the report do the talking, after having a look at the reds i could see why my steering was pulling to one side...!

Was overjoyed to see the reds were eliminated and knew that the last thing left for that perfect alignments are the adjustable top mounts. Saving my pennies, hopefully ill have this by Christmas. Would like to give a HUGE thank you to Alex at AKS Tuning for all of his help, patience and advice yesterday- i will DEFINITLEY return for more work in the near future!!

Offline Harpreetsingh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Good evening all

After a few months of enduring the unbearableness of my clutch failing to return after pushing it down, and sticking between gear changes i decided to have it investigated. Upon researching (again) into further problems with the pre-facelift 140 BKD's i found alot of people talking about the clutch/DMF issues they have come across. I decided to bite the bullet, knowing it would cost a fair bit of cash and have this looked at. Chances are it was the slave cylinder that had gone as the Master had just recently been replaced and ruled it out. Sitting at the unit and watching this experienced bloke fondle my car to pieces i learnt a little bit about how my car is put together and how the clutch, gearbox and parts of the drivetrain work. this is what we found :-

First up, a gearbox. a little dirty, but a gearbox none the less.

a slightly tired looking slave cylinder.

a pretty worn clutch plate. Considering the car is on 161K and i have absolutley no receipts/evidence to show that the clutch has been replaced in the lifetime of the car, im guessing its done quite well with no slipping.

a DMF! My service schedule appears to contradict what i had been told by Wayside Towcester (the dealer at which this car had been serviced prior to my ownership) who say the DMF was replaced at 95K in 2010 under a safety recall whereby VW Customer Services advise me it had been replaced at 30K in 2006 under a safety recall...

Looking at the gearbox, some slight play was detected. I was pretty alarmed at this, but the mechanic told me that it was expected of a car that had done that much mileage, and was not uncommon as such. I guess these things arent completly indestructable huh... but looking at the gearbox, that wasnt the only thing that had play...

Im no technical expert, but looking at the slave, clutch plates and DMF decided to get them all replaced. So a quick phone call and mug of tea later...

Old and new...

again old and new...

new on the left, old on the right...

my new slave...

and whilst he had taken apart most of my engine, i thought id get the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor replaced aswell. That would be sure to get rid of the god damn emissions light (why the hell the emissions light man?!) once and for all!

before putting the subframe back in he advised me to get my engine mount replaced next time i come in as it looked a little something like this...

and whilst he was putting it back together again i thought id ask him carry out the subframe bolt mod just in case.

So in summary, just over £800 got me a new DMF, clutch, slave cylinder, ECT sensor, subframe bolts, fresh gearbox oil all fitted and with VAT. Yes its a large expense, but heck ive done it now so may aswell run the car down to the ground like i originally planned. As a direct result of this, my car feels brand new. Not only that, the engine shudder i got on idle has now completley disappeared!! who wouldve thought it would be the DMF? theres me thinking it was an injector/glowplug problem!!

a effing huge thank you goes out to Alex at AKS Tuning for all his hard and honest work on my car. Absolute legend and as stated before, will be the first port of call for ANY work done on the MKV for the foreseeable future.

Keep your eyes peeled for more updates, im sure 2013 will churn them out thick and fast!

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Great Thread  :happy2:

I love the mono block look.  :wink:

Offline Harpreetsingh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Great Thread  :happy2:

I love the mono block look.  :wink:

Heyy!! Thank you very much :D ''twas my attempt at encorporating abit of oldskool into it all :P

Offline bensgod

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Wasn't a fan of the wheels, but once they were on they looks pretty sweet!

Offline Harpreetsingh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Wasn't a fan of the wheels, but once they were on they looks pretty sweet!

Heyy cheers dude! I can understand that they might be abit marmite-ish... Aquired taste but glad you like 'em! :)

Offline Harpreetsingh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
**UPDATE**

i had my ABS and ESP lights come on a few weeks back now and found that my breaks just felt heavy. Im not too sure if its a psycological thing with the lights being on the dash and me feeling alot more uneasy but i just wanted it fixed. Had it investigated to be found to be a faulty G44 sensor (mechanical malfunction). Having it taken out of the hub it appeared to be worn significantly. My local mechanic told me that some corrosion could have built up on the Tone Ring on the inside of the hub meaning a whole hub assembly replacement. Running poverty spec this month as i'll be placing quite an expensive order next week for another part (wait and see) so had the whole assembly replaced with a parkers replica while getting the G44 sensor itself from Volkswagen. All in all, just under £150 including fitting (something i could live with so long as all the lights were clear from the dash)

Chuffing car, i'll tell you what it doesnt half keep me on my toes but still got the love for it :) due to creep up to 165K in a couple hundred miles...

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Coming along nicely :happy2:

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Harpreet the car is looking good bro!  :wink:

Offline Harpreetsingh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Coming along nicely :happy2:

Harpreet the car is looking good bro!  :wink:

Thank you both for the kind words :D

Offline Tomm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
looking gooooood

Offline bennibGTI07

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
good work pal. Looking good a few lil tricks and promlems along the way makes it more fun right?

Although in my opinion the wheels you put on should never be there. Made me a little sick in my mouth.

Good work tho
One way to Fly, In a Golf GTi

Offline Adam-golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • Derv!
    • Email
Good choice with the wheels... Wasnt a fan at first by they look good on

Offline S4nup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Looking good Harpreet. thats a lot of money spent, but should last you a long while yet!