Make a donation

Author Topic: Are COLD AIR INTAKES worth the money? Or is it all Bullsh*t?  (Read 9327 times)

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: Are COLD AIR INTAKES worth the money? Or is it all Bullsh*t?
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 09:54:06 am »
^^^^ cheers  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 09:55:59 am »
Panel filter = waste of time and effort.

Agreed and thats why I went back to the oe panel filter and the boost fluctuation I had has gone.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 09:57:01 am »

The chaps at Storm Developments have tested them all on the MK5 GTi, and found no significant gains, only losses from some. I'll stick with my Pipercross panel filter at Stage 2 based on their advice.

....In that case it doesn't say a lot for Storm Developments! Unless, of course, they tested all the intakes on a completely standard car without either a turbo-back exhaust or remap, which isn't that likely as no gains would be expected in that example, so what would be the point?

With Turbo-back exhaust (Milltek), remap (Revo), I have dyno'd on Stock, with flat panel filter by ITG, with Carbonio scoop (that's all it is), and back-to-back with Forge Twintake < ALL on JKM's Dyno-Dynamics rollers. My Mk5 K03 GTI is currently running 273 bhp on JKM's dyno.

For the OP, there may be some helpful information here:  http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9988.0.html

So, providing that you have both a Turbo-back exhaust and a remap, I would recommend any of the Forge Twintake, ITG Maxogen, or Evoms, if you want good gains which are proven beyond doubt.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:00:19 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 10:00:47 am »
As most of my driving is 0-70 Mph, which do you guys recommend then. as i only do motor wat driving once a week.

For you, for that, a panel filter, Pipercross or ITG or K&N - max £50. (Or OEM at no extra cost, change with service). I now have a Pipercross panel filter after getting rid of my Maxogen, noisy bloody thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 10:12:35 am »

As most of my driving is 0-70 Mph, which do you guys recommend then. as i only do motor wat driving once a week.

For you, for that, a panel filter, Pipercross or ITG or K&N - max £50. (Or OEM at no extra cost, change with service). I now have a Pipercross panel filter after getting rid of my Maxogen, noisy bloody thing.

....The point is how you want your car to perform 0-70 mph. I find that the extra power from being modified results in much faster and safer overtaking, for example. But I can understand why the financial investment for you isn't worth it.

Regarding noise, it's totally subjective - I love the sound of my Forge Twintake and can easily control its extent with my right foot, others hate such sounds.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 10:25:25 am »
I've just fitted a Dbilas to my K04 converted Octavia. I've logged boost and maf, maf figures are lower through the whole rev range only peaking above the standard air box over 6200rpm. There is also a drop in boost over my stock box at 5000rpm which recovers by 6000 rpm.
I'm going to try the open cone on the Dbilas next.

Interestingly my BSH made a good improvement on the K03, maybe it depends on the map.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 12:56:44 pm »
I've just fitted a Dbilas to my K04 converted Octavia. I've logged boost and maf, maf figures are lower through the whole rev range only peaking above the standard air box over 6200rpm. There is also a drop in boost over my stock box at 5000rpm which recovers by 6000 rpm.

Interestingly my BSH made a good improvement on the K03, maybe it depends on the map.

Well i will be getting a Map with R-tech or similar. Before i go i will have Catback or Turbo back  fitted if i can rob a few people :party:  just wondering whether i should just fit an open anywayz.....i just dont want to lose that 0-70mph power (love smoking chavs from the lights)

Maybe best asking Alex. But if people have some experience in different intakes i would love to hear more
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 01:04:43 pm »

Well i will be getting a Map with R-tech or similar. Before i go i will have Catback or Turbo back  fitted if i can rob a few people :party:  just wondering whether i should just fit an open anywayz.....i just dont want to lose that 0-70mph power (love smoking chavs from the lights)

Maybe best asking Alex. But if people have some experience in different intakes i would love to hear more

Hopefully just a throwaway/joke comment. I have no time for peeps willy waving at the traffic light Grand Prix. Keep it to the track and strip.

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 01:17:52 pm »
The only problem i have with the panel filter on the mk5 is that it sits on top of the engine . sucks in cold air throws it into a warm airbox. The design is a fault in my eyes therefore any aftermarket intake "should" be better than a panel filter.

This is just my opinion.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 01:36:56 pm »

Hopefully just a throwaway/joke comment. I have no time for peeps willy waving at the traffic light Grand Prix. Keep it to the track and strip.

Yep, i dont do racing on the streets.

Ok, so lets say i cant upgrade the fuel pumps just yet, which Intake will give best noise / performance for around £300 but wont cause TOO much air mixture leaving the low end revs a bit gutless?
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 01:38:05 pm »
But if you feel the pipes on a cold air intake near the maf housing, they are hotter than the oe box as plastic doesnt absorb as much heat. The pipes on the intake are too hot too touch on systems like bsh, k&n, evoms etc. I placed reflective heat shielding over the base of my engine cover and that has helped keep things a bit cooler. The heat shields provided by the intake manufacturers are not really all that good, as the engine bay heats up very quickly and the intake pipes gets heat soaked. Really the best material for an intake is carbon fibre like the APR one that is in its design process. Silicone hoses like the ITG are good as they dont absorb as much heat.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 01:39:26 pm »
But if you feel the pipes on a cold air intake near the maf housing, they are hotter than the oe box as plastic doesnt absorb as much heat. The pipes on the intake are too hot too touch on systems like bsh, k&n, evoms etc. I placed reflective heat shielding over the base of my engine cover and that has helped keep things a bit cooler. The heat shields provided by the intake manufacturers are not really all that good, as the engine bay heats up very quickly and the intake pipes gets heat soaked. Really the best material for an intake is carbon fibre like the APR one that is in its design process. Silicone hoses like the ITG are good as they dont absorb as much heat.

Gold heat tape!  :wink:

80% reflection up to 300 degrees
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:41:33 pm by richwig83 »

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 01:51:38 pm »
On back to back dyno logs I gained 5hp and 33lbft torque  :pomppomp:

I think this proves that they do work, but am sure they do have some negatives eg dust getting into engine if not oiled properly/oil getting onto MAF if oiled too much etc.

I dont think you can run stg2+ and get the best out of it with a panel filter; but if was going back to stg 1 think would go with panel filter route.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 02:34:12 pm »

The Volant is plastic and is a closed airbox design and even with being stung for VAT your cheaper than most (if not all) of the toilet roll and sponge intake varieties  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2012, 06:37:49 pm »

The Volant is plastic and is a closed airbox design and even with being stung for VAT your cheaper than most (if not all) of the toilet roll and sponge intake varieties  :happy2:

Forgot about the volant system and had considered one for my car. But I kept the oe cover as it works fine and I have had no issues at my stage of tune. Thats what I like about modifying is that everyone has different ideas about what works well and what doesnt.