Make a donation

Author Topic: Help a newbie Buy a GTI  (Read 3069 times)

scottm72

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: Help a newbie Buy a GTI
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 07:06:12 pm »
If you are travelling from IOW then I would only travel for something that you really want , make sure its a minter before you travel because every car is an absolute age from you down there! Good luck , White is the best colour btw! ( I would say that , coz ive got one!) :happy2:
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 07:18:30 pm »
I cant see you picking up a candy white for under 9k. On the off chance you do see one, ring up as soon as you see the advert or it will be gone.
The was a candy white for sale about 3 weeks ago, it had 85k on the clock 07 plate if I remember correctly, and it sold for around 10k
that was my problem when I was searching, the high mileages, 85k is quite a lot and 10k is still a lot of money, I nearly paid £10688 for an 07, 46k miles, normal spec but with multi media unit, black solid paint, no arm rest but very good condition although needed new wheels, I ended up paying prob a bit over market value for 08 plate, 5 dr, 38k miles, but with new wheels, full leather, winter pack, lux pack, oem xenons and very good paintwork,,,, glad I paid the bit extra and because it is only 38k miles it drives like new and my mechanic says it is just like new,,, I paid £12750 but immaculate throughout
as I said I think I paid a bit more than the market price but it was from a dealer and I just could not find one out there with the xenons which I really wanted,,, so glad I didn't go for a high mileage car as after I have had my use of it which will be for a few years at least I want it to have some kind of decent sell on value and my thinking was that it would be well over 100k by then so not very appealing.
I have spent 2k on upgrades already but that's prob my nearly done with the big jobs,,, I wouldn't have fealt it was as worthwhile on a car with say 85k on the clock
good luck dude

My car had 38k when I picked it up in April up to 46k now  :laugh:
But also spent over 5k on mods (promised myself I would not mod this one) and I keep having to stop myself from buying any more bits  :laugh: but I'm planning to keep this car for a good few years (well until scirocco r s drop to £10-15k)

I traveled 200 miles for mine as everything local was high miles and overpriced just make sure you have a back up plan for getting home if the car isn't good

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 07:43:30 pm »
For what id pay for a white 1, im tempted to get a black 1 and repaint it white   :laugh:
Fun bags

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 07:45:57 pm »
For what id pay for a white 1, im tempted to get a black 1 and repaint it white   :laugh:

Might be worth it if you can get one with high spec and low miles for cheap enough especially if its full of scratches
But a full respray won't be cheap

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 07:49:24 pm »
Here's one for sale, although it's in Scotland...you should bring the missus up and make a weekend of it.

Looks like a good one:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/golf-gti-mk5--candy-white/111381283
'07 Red manual

Offline Jay_bcfc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • MK5 Pirelli previous MK6 Gti ED30 and MK5 R32
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/jaybcfc1983/Pirelli_2_zpso5tdkgow.jpg
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 08:04:56 pm »
Thats nice that one, not sure how old the car is, been up forsale for a month too!

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 08:08:37 pm »
Yep thats nice but finance owing scares me. Think im going to buy a black 1 instead, just face facts and get a higher spec'd 1
Fun bags

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 08:11:23 pm »
Here's one for sale, although it's in Scotland...you should bring the missus up and make a weekend of it.

Looks like a good one:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/golf-gti-mk5--candy-white/111381283

Ayrshire Belfast?

scottm72

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 08:12:26 pm »
yeah seems a nice one, would have to be carefull as there is finance on the car and he says will be cleared once sold, should be cleared before you pay remember, looks nice cond although stock basic inside and you wont get over 50% volume on that stereo but minor thing

Offline Jay_bcfc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • MK5 Pirelli previous MK6 Gti ED30 and MK5 R32
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/jaybcfc1983/Pirelli_2_zpso5tdkgow.jpg
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 09:48:41 pm »
Yep thats nice but finance owing scares me. Think im going to buy a black 1 instead, just face facts and get a higher spec'd 1
Finance is easy to settle mate, dont let that put you off  :happy2: