Make a donation

Author Topic: Black mk5 gti project  (Read 24539 times)

Offline VWPalmer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Black mk5 gti project
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2012, 10:33:28 pm »
Well this thread has went quite for a while as vw took 2 weeks to find out what was causing a slow cam shaft position sensor response. It would have been fixed yesterday but the kit they ordered (I think it was oil pressure sensor or something?) came with the wrong seals in so they have had to order a new kit which will be here on monday so I should get it back then.

Then I can get back to work as parts are starting to mount up  :drool: On wednesday I'm going to finally fit my EVOMS, smooth my grill and relocate to a bracket I have made to go into my tow hook hole. I also have a can of plasti dip so I'm gonna do my badges black and see how I like them.

Here is the tow hook I got to make the numberplate bracket out of, when I'm at shows I will take off the plate and put the red part back on.

The plasti dip and rear wiper delete plug

Finally my wifi OBDII unit turned up so i can test that out when i get my car back :)

Offline VWPalmer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 10:03:44 pm »
So I had a chance to fit most of the parts I had collected over the time the car was in the garage.

I plasti dipped both of the badges on the rear of the car.

Then I did a ghetto smooth job on the front grill using the plasti dip just to see how it would look.
Before (sanding marks are covered by the plate holder when mounted)

During

And after on the car along with the black front badge and EVOMS  :drool:

I quite like how it looks so might do it permanent. I was going to make a plate holder out of the tow hook I bought but it was totally the wrong length and stuck out of the front of the car by miles and looked daft.

Better picture of the EVOMS, I love how it sounds now and it might just be me but it seems a lot more responsive when I accelerate. I also carried out a little test to see if the heat wrap and shield worked. Before I fitted them I set my dash command up and recorded the outside temp at 6Deg C and the intake temp at 50mph at 15Deg C. Then I fitted the intake and heat shield and did the same test again, the outside temp this time was 10Deg C and the intake temp ranged between 9-11Deg C with speed ranging from 30 to 70mph. When I stopped at the lights and there was no fresh air coming at the car the intake temp rose to 14Deg C. So in my opinion it has improved and I'm quite happy with it.

In other news I bought a new wash mitt  :drool:

And I want these wheels but they are $1000 each  :grin:

Offline Chrismeardon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 11:30:41 pm »
Lovely car mate, looks very similair to mine. I'll be keeping a keen eye on this one!

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 02:36:56 am »
Nice build, those white rotiforms would look amazing on this. Whats the deal with the OBD2? Does it work with a standard car and where do i get it, it looks fun  :happy2:

Offline VWPalmer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2013, 11:45:32 pm »
Yea mighty it works with the standard car I bought my obdII dongle off ebay and the dashcommand app from the apple app store cost me £60 all in it pretty cool. You could get it for less and in my opinion it worth it even just for the ability to read and clear codes whenever and where ever you want.

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 12:51:28 am »
Yea mighty it works with the standard car I bought my obdII dongle off ebay and the dashcommand app from the apple app store cost me £60 all in it pretty cool. You could get it for less and in my opinion it worth it even just for the ability to read and clear codes whenever and where ever you want.

Awesome bud, ill check it out,  :laugh:

Offline speedracer90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2013, 10:59:36 pm »
Nice

Offline VWPalmer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2013, 01:09:18 am »
Got a few more things done on the car today  :smiley:

Fitted my tow hook/numberplate holder

The plate is the wrong size though so i need a new one

Also took the oil filler neck extension off so the oil cap sits flush and painted the washer and coolant caps black (Anyone know if i can buy black plastic ones?)

I changed the cam follower today aswell the old one didnt have too much wear but its done now for piece of mind  :smiley:

Just to finish things off mine by the end of the night

and my mate ryans 20vt mk2

Offline brough74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 09:06:35 am »
Black caps are available, just have a look in group buys.  I bought some myself and they are perfect
PEARL DIAMOND BLACK 3dr GTI
HEATED LEATHER,MULTI FUNCTION WHEEL,
18” MONZA ALLOYS, XENON HEADLIGHTS, FLAT TYRE INDICATOR
LUX PACK AND WINTER PACK
SHARAN AERIAL, GTI TAX DISC HOLDER, R32 REAR LIGHTS
VW RACING FRONT SPOILER

Offline VWPalmer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 03:30:55 pm »
Bit of an update, my car is in the garage at the moment because of a suspect oil pressure drop  :scared: but it under warranty so getting done for free. It's also getting the boot lid painted under warranty because of some corrosion under the boot handle/badge.

Now onto the good news  :drool: I've ordered an air lift performance air ride set up with adjustable dampers, I know most on here may frown upon air ride but I've always loved going to shows and showing my car, but in my opinion sometimes a car doesn't look as good at a good driving height when its on a show field so I have compromised.

I've ordered a set of depo xenon look headlights from the group buy on here  :happy2: and I bought a set of these in 18x8"

only 8kg per wheel.

Oh and I picked these up

I'm only gonna be using the passenger side one though as I have already cut a hole in my drivers one for the tow hook/numberplate holder.

These just came as well from AKS :)

Plans for the next month or so are to sell my monzas and buy autotech HPFP internals and a BCS downpipe then get PDT to map it t stage 2  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:33:32 pm by VWPalmer »

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 03:42:48 pm »
Wow, loving the sound of this new update! Air will be siiickkk!! :party:

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2013, 05:29:38 pm »
Great build so far - what was the outcome from VW on the loosely fitted fuel rail?

Look forward to future updates, especially as you've you picked my favourite lightweight alloy wheel - had a set on my old mkiv - really light, just a pain to clean!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline VWPalmer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2013, 11:59:09 pm »
They paid to get my car valeted dave haha so not much really.

And cheers I used to have bbs splits so these will be a doddle compared hahaha

Offline VWPalmer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2013, 02:35:49 pm »
So last night I went and collected my air ride and I've booked two days at my mates garage to get it all fitted on the 11th and 12th of next month  :laugh:

My wheels came

Boost gauge came

Finally HPFP internals

:driver:

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 02:38:56 pm »
Hey dude! Looking good! I was chatting to you on Edition about number plate placement  :P