Make a donation

Author Topic: Whats envolved in a 3rd service for The Gti??  (Read 10526 times)

Phil Mcavity

Re: Whats envolved in a 2nd service for The Gti??
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 05:33:48 pm »
It's not really a subject which is open for your opinion

So the point of a forum discussion is what Robin?

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 05:39:34 pm »
i got mine done in may all i paid for was brake fluid 60 quid everything else is covered under the 3 year thing...  :confused:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 05:45:58 pm »
I only bought my car in february so it will not need servicing for some time yet, however when it is serviced i will want to know exactly what is being changed and will want a itemised bill for every part/labour. As you say some people will pay just to have the stamp in the book but i will want to know whats being done otherwise your just chucking money at it without knowing what you're payng for? Crazy if you ask me!
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 05:50:26 pm »
I only bought my car in february so it will not need servicing for some time yet, however when it is serviced i will want to know exactly what is being changed and will want a itemised bill for every part/labour. As you say some people will pay just to have the stamp in the book but i will want to know whats being done otherwise your just chucking money at it without knowing what you're payng for? Crazy if you ask me!
Thank god im not the only one!!   :P

Im glad that you feel the same way. You want to know what your paying for and not just "taking their word " that its been done as it should.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:53:38 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline Mark_GTIV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 05:52:37 pm »
Hi there,

This might help answer a few things. Have a look at your service book in the manual pack you have. There it explains all the checks and replacements that happen at different intervals and what a regular service should look like.

I've got a 2007 car and on my second service they did what they call a mobility guarantee service, which includes a full safety inspection of the car for wear and tear. They replaced the oil filter (€14.40 + VAT), the sump plug (€1.41 + VAT), they put 4.6 litres of Longlife III Castrol oil in (€20 / litre = €73.60 + VAT) and properly disposed of the old stuff and added more washer fluid (€1.42). They also did a diagnosis DTC check.

All in my bill for the service came to €215.49 + VAT which was €256.43.

This service keeps up the 'mobility guarantee' which is basically the free European wide AA/RAC coverage (which in itself must save about €100 / year) we get whilst getting the car serviced by a main dealer.

They would have changed the brake fluid as well on this service - but since I'd just fitted a new big brake kit with new fluid, they obviously didn't bother - it will need changed again in a further 2 years.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:56:52 pm by Mark_GTIV »

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 05:58:46 pm »
I have looked at the service book and it does list, but as a tick box, which is identical for each service whether its 1st or 4th service.

A simple discription from the Technition rather then the normally good looking Lady on the service desk that normally ticks the boxes, when shes not the one thats actually done anything or taken part in the cars servicing.

If she copys from the technitions report, then perhaps include that in the receipt.

Simple idea and would stop any potential critisism.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 06:02:03 pm »

Yes, fair enough, Phil - I was just reacting to what seemed to be a very negative attitude but thanks to you bothering to explain, I see your point.

:happy2: 8) :happy2: :drinking:

You going to Inters?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 06:06:52 pm »
Does the Pope go to church  :wink:

see you sunday.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:13:33 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline Mark_GTIV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 06:09:00 pm »
I have looked at the service book and it does list, but as a tick box, which is identical for each service whether its 1st or 4th service.

A simple discription from the Technition rather then the normally good looking Lady on the service desk that normally ticks the boxes, when shes not the one thats actually done anything or taken part in the cars servicing.

If she copys from the technitions report, then perhaps include that in the receipt.

You don't get the report with the invoice? Oh.. all the times I've ever had a VW main dealer serviced, even over here and back home in the UK - they provided the report as well. And in some cases even the DTC report.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 06:10:25 pm »

You don't get the report with the invoice? Oh.. all the times I've ever had a VW main dealer serviced, even over here and back home in the UK - they provided the report as well. And in some cases even the DTC report.
Oh i wish they did, no such luck here, perhaps its just my dealer or has anyone in the Uk had such a thing when dealing with a Uk dealer?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:12:36 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 06:10:43 pm »
when mine got its 2nd service at the dealers,they changed the oil &  filters & they said they had looked at the brakes,but i said you can't have had the wheels of as i had the locking wheel nut in my pocket

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 06:11:09 pm »
i completley agree aswell,  :happy2:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 09:19:43 pm »
I'm looking at £420 ish for my next service and I'm damn sure I want to know what it is  I'm paying for  :surprised:

As an engineer I am actually genuinely interested in whats going on / whats being done.  Perhaps those who don't understand cars are happy just to hand the cash over and be happy  :confused:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 09:41:49 pm »

I'm not an engineer but I like to know everything that's done to my car. If I trust the 'garage' I'm happy to hand over the dosh.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andytran

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 09:49:03 pm »
when mine got its 2nd service at the dealers,they changed the oil &  filters & they said they had looked at the brakes,but i said you can't have had the wheels of as i had the locking wheel nut in my pocket

There are only 10 different types of locking nut and they hold copies of all of them.

I know cause I needed a new one and they tried them all to find the right one then order it in for me....

Andy