Make a donation

Author Topic: ED30 Headache!  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
ED30 Headache!
« on: November 15, 2012, 12:37:26 pm »
Hi Folk's,

Well after month's of searching I finally found a lovely '07 ED30  :happy2:

However after living with it for a few weeks now, I've found 3 things I don't like about it:

1. There's quite a lot of road noise over anything other than very smooth tarmac.

2. The tyre roar over rough tarmac is getting on my nerves.

3. THE @~#@%$ ROAD NOISE!!

The car is running on Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetrics which I thought were meant to be quiet. They have done about 4500 miles.

Is there anything that can be done about it?

I've searched through numerous forums, including this one, and not found an easy effective solution. It is quiet on smooth tarmac, so it's not a wheel bearing problem or uneven tyre wear.

I really should know better, because I used to have a '07 Octavia which had the exact same problem and that was running on 16" wheels!

Oh, and please don't tell me to turn up the radio!

Sorry about the rant. I'm cross with myself for going for another car based on this noisy chassis.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Xizor  :smiley:

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=g79dmjv86j329tks5506e7uvn6&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: ED30 Headache!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:39:42 pm »
What car did you have before?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 01:08:29 pm »
How much tyre tread depth is there?

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 01:11:09 pm »
Get yourself some P-zero rossos, I could not believe the difference in road noise when I was running four of them.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 01:15:07 pm »
Change your tyres, sound deaden the panels, sell the car...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 01:21:37 pm »
Get an evoms Intake  and a TBE exhaust you won't notice the tyre noise after that :rolleye:

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 04:03:45 pm »
Its a shame to hear that your not totally happy with the car.
Me personally, I cant say that I have even noticed excessive road noise. Its not a problem for me and none of my passengers have picked upon it either. I have Michelin PS3's.

Has any one else noticed road noise being a problem??

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 04:12:03 pm »
Get an evoms Intake  and a TBE exhaust you won't notice the tyre noise after that :rolleye:

Got my vote!  :grin:

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 05:27:06 pm »
Thanks guys for the interesting replies!

To answer a few questions:

Richwig83 - My previous car was an Audi A4 diesel estate. Nice quiet car(on the inside!) but very boring. I wanted something that was more fun.

Hedge - The tyres have 7mm on the rear and 6 on the front. As I said, there are fairly new.

Swgti - A set of P-Zero Rossos would cost about £570! If they really cut the road noise it might be worth it.

Jigbake - Yes it's a shame because the rest of the car is great. You would certainly notice the road noise in my car!

Any more sensible/cheap solutions? Does changing the tyre pressures help? I've actually lowered them a bit thinking it might help being softer. Still bad!  :confused:

Cheers,
Xizor

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 05:33:36 pm »
Thanks guys for the interesting replies!

To answer a few questions:

Richwig83 - My previous car was an Audi A4 diesel estate. Nice quiet car(on the inside!) but very boring. I wanted something that was more fun.

Hedge - The tyres have 7mm on the rear and 6 on the front. As I said, there are fairly new.

Swgti - A set of P-Zero Rossos would cost about £570! If they really cut the road noise it might be worth it.

Jigbake - Yes it's a shame because the rest of the car is great. You would certainly notice the road noise in my car!

Any more sensible/cheap solutions? Does changing the tyre pressures help? I've actually lowered them a bit thinking it might help being softer. Still bad!  :confused:

Cheers,
Xizor

where are you based? maybe you could take somebody off here for a drive and go in theirs and see if there is a difference???

DSG-GTI

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 05:40:20 pm »
Im with OP on this one as I to find the road noise very irritating on certain surfaces... It does seem to be louder than any other car I have owned. Had PS3's and am now on F1 2's and I would say the Goodyear's are slightly better...  Try the M54 towards Telford from the M6 ... shocking on the concrete surface.  Still love the car though  :wink:

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 05:56:00 pm »
Tyre noise really anoys me as well. Is it the chassis or 17" wheels on my gt tdi sport?
My Mk4 was really quiet in comparison (15" wheels with fat tyres). For me too this is the worst car i have owned for it. Moved a michelin from the rear to the front, and it was that bad i thought a wheel bearing was on the way out. Now that its worn in a bit the noise is not so bad. I'm hoping the Bridgestone potenza s001's will be ok...
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 06:02:45 pm »
I can't say that I have really noticed the road noise either so peculiar that you are hearing it that much that it becomes annoying. I'm running normal 17s, Eagle assy 2s at the front pilot sports at the rear so similar tyres.

I agree with gazbuts, see what someone else's is like
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 06:20:21 pm »
Also have an ED30 shod with 18" GY F1 2's and TBH they are very good tyres and certainly no worse (road noise wise) than my previous set of tyres, Dunlop Sport Max's.

Have a read of this, saw thos on a site ages ago, no idea if its true or Bollox......

http://www.michelintransport.com/ple/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=40&lang=EN

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 08:33:32 pm »
Ah! At last, some people who are suffering the same noise as me and are willing to admit it!

Also, DSG-GTI was using PS3's and says they were bad, but Jigbake has the same tyres and says they are fine. WTF is going on? :confused: I can only think that some people are more sensitive to it than others.

For me it is wholly dependent on the road surface. On smooth tarmac it's absolutely fine, but as soon as you hit any rough stuff it roars like concorde!

The trouble with changing tyres is that you can't take them back if they are no better. If I could be certain that a particular tyre would eliminate the noise I would change tomorrow.

It's a great shame 'cause if I can't solve this it's days are numbered. Anyone interested?

Cheers