Make a donation

Author Topic: ED30 Headache!  (Read 7614 times)

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Re: ED30 Headache!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 08:48:59 pm »
I thi k a lot of people could be used to the tyre noise from previous cars.

After having BMW s for years then onto a mk4 golf the next car I bought was an Astra H and I thought the road noise was terrible I got used to the noise from the Astra so didn't  really notice it in my mk5

DSG-GTI

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 11:40:35 pm »
Ah! At last, some people who are suffering the same noise as me and are willing to admit it!

Also, DSG-GTI was using PS3's and says they were bad, but Jigbake has the same tyres and says they are fine. WTF is going on? :confused: I can only think that some people are more sensitive to it than others.

For me it is wholly dependent on the road surface. On smooth tarmac it's absolutely fine, but as soon as you hit any rough stuff it roars like concorde!

The trouble with changing tyres is that you can't take them back if they are no better. If I could be certain that a particular tyre would eliminate the noise I would change tomorrow.

It's a great shame 'cause if I can't solve this it's days are numbered. Anyone interested?

Cheers

I didn't say the PS3's were bad...  :surprised: I went from the 17" PS3's to 18" GY Eagle F1's and was worried that going up a size was going to make the ride to firm, I was told that the sidewall of the GY was slightly softer than the Mich so that's why i went for them, As for the noise levels between the two... not a lot in it for me... I don't think any Low profile tyre is going to make it as quiet as a 5 series beemer  :wink: Maybe it's the sound proofing in the chassis or the hard bushes in the suspension that transmitting the noise...  Maybe there is a company that does a sound proofing kit that could be added to make it a bit better.

Offline mazza

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 09:07:46 am »
WOW! The more time i spend on this site the more dissapointed i get about buying a Mk5 Gti, road noise is one thing that would really bother me as i would be buying a decent car worth 6 or 7k and expect it to be quiet on most roads.  To me it just seems like poor insulation of the cabin.

I used to own a Mk4 gti with 16" wheels which was not too bad unless i was on a really bad road.  My e39 M5 has 18" wheels and is very quiet, the road has to be terrible for any road noise, thats why after reading this im not so sure about changing to a Mk5 as i love everything else about them.  Like someone said it could also be the bushes?  And yeah the best thing would be to drive a few others with the same size wheels.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6nfkpvhc1skduptm5g743j5u7j&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 10:42:52 am »
Ive done 47000 miles in my Ed30 and I cant say that the road noise annoys me that much.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 11:03:31 am »
WOW! The more time i spend on this site the more dissapointed i get about buying a Mk5 Gti, road noise is one thing that would really bother me as i would be buying a decent car worth 6 or 7k and expect it to be quiet on most roads.  To me it just seems like poor insulation of the cabin.

I used to own a Mk4 gti with 16" wheels which was not too bad unless i was on a really bad road.  My e39 M5 has 18" wheels and is very quiet, the road has to be terrible for any road noise, thats why after reading this im not so sure about changing to a Mk5 as i love everything else about them.  Like someone said it could also be the bushes?  And yeah the best thing would be to drive a few others with the same size wheels.

Sell the car and you won't need to moan about it anymore. Job done!!  :confused:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6nfkpvhc1skduptm5g743j5u7j&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 11:06:03 am »

Big 5 series BMWs are quiet.... its a big heavy car with thick doors. My friend has a T reg 523i and its as quiet as a mouse on the motorway.... boring and slow though!

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 11:12:07 am »
Ah! At last, some people who are suffering the same noise as me and are willing to admit it!

Also, DSG-GTI was using PS3's and says they were bad, but Jigbake has the same tyres and says they are fine. WTF is going on? :confused: I can only think that some people are more sensitive to it than others.

For me it is wholly dependent on the road surface. On smooth tarmac it's absolutely fine, but as soon as you hit any rough stuff it roars like concorde!

The trouble with changing tyres is that you can't take them back if they are no better. If I could be certain that a particular tyre would eliminate the noise I would change tomorrow.

It's a great shame 'cause if I can't solve this it's days are numbered. Anyone interested?

Cheers

spot on. It seems to get far worse on bad concrete parts of the A12. On smooth tarmac no noise at all.
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 12:59:12 pm »
OK, if I change all 4 tyres for something allegedly 'quiet', how much do you think I would get for 4 part worn (6mm left) F1 Asym 2's?

Mazza - It seems all VAG cars built on this chassis seem to be very sensitive to tyres. So we are talking Audi A3, Seat Leon, Skoda Oct & VW Golf Mk5/6. Be prepared!

Cheers,
Xizor

PS. Anyone tried the new Falken FK453? Some say it's very quiet.  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 01:06:05 pm »
The goodyears are not particularly noisy... if you think that changing tyres will make it silent then i think you are wrong.

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 01:20:34 pm »
I don't think changing the tyres will make it silent, but a big improvement would be good.  :wink:

What do you use Richwig?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 01:21:30 pm »
goodyear F1 v2... great tyres

Offline mazza

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 01:22:11 pm »

Sell the car and you won't need to moan about it anymore. Job done!!  :confused:[/font]

MC71 I think you are confusing me with Xizor, he is the one complaining about the noisy ride not me, i was just making a point about a good quality car that should be fairly quiet.  Of course the bme will be quieter no doubt but the golf is a quality product too and should be quite refined.  Xizor it may be the case about the chassis but you should try another car before selling just in case its tyres etc.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 01:22:55 pm »
WOW! The more time i spend on this site the more dissapointed i get about buying a Mk5 Gti, road noise is one thing that would really bother me as i would be buying a decent car worth 6 or 7k and expect it to be quiet on most roads.

What does the amount of money you spend on it have to do with it? You're buying from the lower end of the price range, but to be honest it wouldn't matter if you were spending £15k. It would still be the same.

Sounds like people are wanting the GTI to be something it isn't. If you want to waft buy a Mercedes or a Volvo.

Offline mazza

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 01:39:50 pm »
What does the amount of money you spend on it have to do with it? You're buying from the lower end of the price range, but to be honest it wouldn't matter if you were spending £15k. It would still be the same.

Sounds like people are wanting the GTI to be something it isn't. If you want to waft buy a Mercedes or a Volvo.

Sorry but the amount of money you spend does matter, the golf is a 20k+ car and if im spending that much money i would expect a quiet enough ride the same with any 20k car i would buy.  

Not expecting too much but the Mk5 Gti is supposed to be a good allrounder which i believe is, its clear Xizor is not happy with it as he wouldnt be complaining.  All we are doing here is trying to figure out why he has a noisy ride, it could be tyres, it could be bushes who knows?  Im not trying to slate the car why would i as im actually looking to buy one.  :smiley:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 01:52:24 pm »
Perhaps an extreme example, but a Caterham R300 is £28k, but I'm guessing the ride isn't too quiet! Expecting two £20k cars to offer similar levels of refinement isn't logical if you don't take into account the cars primary purpose. The Golf is indeed a great all-rounder, but adding sound deadening adds weight, which compromises performance.