Make a donation

Author Topic: Is this going to be repairable *Update #2*  (Read 11992 times)

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Is this going to be repairable *Update #2*
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:22:43 am »
Hey folks
I hope to all things holy this is repairable and not a write off or I may actually cry !

Had a minor altercation with one of those huge Mitsubishi L200's , in a car park, he reversed out into me ! Even though it was raining and I had my lights on !

As far as I can tell , its the front wing panel and passenger door that's gonna need replacing !
Did some test before I drove home...Engine is fine , brakes fine, suspension fine.
Can turn the wheels all the way to the damaged side on full lock with no knocks, bangs , scrapes or rubbing. And then back to the opposite side with no noise either.

Drove home with no problems at all, which is a good 15 mile drive from where this happened.

Any thoughts ?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:10:55 pm by DarkSideJohn »
'04 GT TDI 140 | Remapped | Cold Air Intake | WALK | TBE

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Is this going to be repairable ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:37:22 am »
Hmm, inner wing and door post look suspect, the hinge has taken a hit there. Bad times.
Sideways yo!

scottm72

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 01:00:06 am »
hmmm, 04 plate car 140 bhp ( is that right ?)  at least a couple of grand of damage there, wing and door as you say, looks like pillar also, wing mirror.
I don't know how much your car is worth but my wifes 03 plate mk4 1.6 16v golf with 50k on it is only worth £2k,,,, don't know repair cost but ins estimates are always ridiculous,,, prob come back with a bill for £3.5k or something.
check the value of your car online and send a pic to a repair garage maybe and ask roughly how much if you really want to know, they may give you a rough idea.
also if the ins company come back and say it is to much to repair I think you can possibly ask them for a break down of the est and also what they value your car at, if its close I think you can possibly make them use 2 other companies for a different quote, I also think you can specify a repair garage as they may just use somewhere stupid like vw for their quote which will be ridiculously high.
check it out dude and I hope you paid the £25 extra per annum on your car insurance for guaranteed car hire of which the guy who hit you would be responsible for, well his ins company anyway
hope this helps and good luck

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:14:27 pm »
Looks repairable enough to me. Door skin, mirror and wing are the only things that look damaged from pic. Insurance may write it off though.

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:20:18 am »
she being picked up on Monday to be taken for what I can only assume is assessment and then hopefully repaired. Getting a hire car too through it all so that softens the blow.

If it does get written off...dear god I hope not....Might just go for a GTI lol

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Is this going to be repairable.. *UPDATE *
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 04:56:04 pm »
Hey folks...
Sad news today, been told my car is going to be a total loss..
I am so annoyed right now its untrue , especially when its not my fault ! Grrrr !  :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Offline Genner

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
Re: Is this going to be repairable.. *UPDATE *
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 05:27:26 pm »
Hey folks...
Sad news today, been told my car is going to be a total loss..
I am so annoyed right now its untrue , especially when its not my fault ! Grrrr !  :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Nightmare, gutted for you mate

Offline Jonny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 14
  • G7R Owner
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45008.0.html
Re: Is this going to be repairable *Update*
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 05:42:02 pm »
What a shame mate! Looks like he reversed into you at some speed! I know how bad it is to see out of the back of an L200 especially with the double cab on. Well look at it this way, maybe a gti's on the cards?

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 06:07:05 pm »
What annoys me the most is that I am 100% not at fault...It's the L200's fault for not checking properly when reversing. And now he's gonna get away with a couple of hundred quid repair for a bumper and what not and I loose my car !

I have no idea what value they are gonna give me for a settlement ! I bought my car for the best part of 5k, probably put about 2k's worth of repairs / upgrades into it. My insurance isnt even due till next March so I take it im gonna loose out on that side too.

I may move to a GTI next, but coming from having 2 golf diesels it would be very weird. Had the 1.9 mk4 TDI and the Mk5 2.0 TDI. The courtesy car I have at the moment is horrid...Its a MG , the model simply being "6", 4 door saloon , 1.8 petrol turbo.....It apparently has 160bhp but I call that a lie , the turbo lag is horrendous and sound awful too.

A little part of me is tempted by a DSG GTI as they tend to be quite common. However I'm now a little dubious on all petrols and never driven a automatic before.

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 06:09:57 pm »
If you want it repaired keep a hard line with the insurance and refuse to allow the car to be written off (I work in insurance and stuff like this pisses me off!) The insurance company will try and take the easiest option. Push them to repair it. They cant insist on writing it off - insurance is to get you back to where you were before and incident or accident. Writing the car off doesnt actually meet that process of insurance!

Your insurance policy, your car, you paid your policy - fix it. If the other drivers insurance is paying for it then definatley be blunt with them. I want my car repaired and i'm not willing to accept a write-off. Normally they will try and offer you a settlement instead - sometimes this is the best way to go, as you can buy 2nd hand genuine parts that fit correctly and have the parts fitted by someone independant??

Good luck!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 06:49:41 pm »
sorry to hear the news, but things will work out :smiley: I know I've been there

what do you mean you will loose out on the insurance???

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 07:05:04 pm »
sorry to hear the news, but things will work out :smiley: I know I've been there

What I mean is I wont be getting the full year I paid for. Granted its about 2/3's of the way through my policy but I'm seeing as something I've pad for and not got.... ( Bit of a rage going inside my head )

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 07:24:59 pm »

What I mean is I wont be getting the full year I paid for. Granted its about 2/3's of the way through my policy but I'm seeing as something I've pad for and not got.... ( Bit of a rage going inside my head )

Your insurance should be transferable to whatever new car you buy...

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 07:43:28 pm »
You are aware that you can remove any mods you did to the car if they weren't declared? If its at the salvage yard go down n remove all the things n return it to standard - as the specification per insured.
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 08:31:51 pm »

Your insurance should be transferable to whatever new car you buy...

Thinking logically this is of course the right answer (Y) just feeling a little sore at the moment about it all !