Make a donation

Author Topic: Is this going to be repairable *Update #2*  (Read 11999 times)

scottm72

Re: Is this going to be repairable *Update*
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 09:29:57 pm »
question regarding the ins companies, when I am upgrading my car, rnh, mk6 camera etc should I be telling them, if I do will my policy increase ?
and if I don't tell them would I be allowed to remove these units if car is written off ?

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 09:32:31 pm »
You need to declare all modifications, no matter how small. I've even see insurers ask for details of stickers/decals on your car...

scottm72

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 09:36:04 pm »
honestly, so when I declare things does my policy increase every time,,,,,,
so I put a shark fin on, I need to tell them ???

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 09:41:05 pm »

It depends who you are insured with as to whether the cost goes up. Most of them charge an admin fee and most put the cost up to if it is a BHP increase. You will be alright because you will be declaring all yours together.  :wink:

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 09:42:39 pm »

Depends on who your insured with, most mod friendly don't put anything on the excess for cosmetic mods, only power mods increase the premium

scottm72

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 09:51:46 pm »
and if I don't declarre these parts I don't get them back if written off ? is that right

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »
and if I don't declarre these parts I don't get them back if written off ? is that right

Not only that your insurance could become void due to not declaring mods, leaving you to bear any costs involved. Also if it is repairable they will not repair anythin that hasn't been declared or again refuse or void the policy

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 09:54:13 pm »
Well it could be more serious - if you don't declare modifications your policy is effectively void. Not getting them back could be the least of your problems...

scottm72

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 10:59:07 pm »
bugger, will inform them, thanks guys
 :happy2:

scottm72

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 11:09:42 pm »
query though, most mods I have 510 h ,new Monza 2s, prob mfsw, are all factory options for the mk5, didn't come with the car, in fact the original wheels where 17s but the ins company aint gonna know this are they.
other mods like mk6 camera, Bluetooth, hands free etc fair enough.
whilst I am thinking about it, they aint gonna know but at the same time it wont matter I guess, they will only value on book price anyway I guess, and if I don't declare them then they would not for example let me take the 510 out and put back in the crapy 300.
even if I declare all mods will they let you remove them if the car is written off ?
vw for example quoted me over three grand for a new 510h, oem Bluetooth, hands free, shark fin and mk6 reverse cam,,, I paid £1500 all in for supply and fit elsewhere but is there any way of protecting what you put in with regards to value or the option to get these parts back ?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 07:25:44 am »
Optional extras need to be declared too.

I'd look at it as covering your own arse. If the worst happens and you write your car off, and a savvy assessor informs the insurance company that there were non-standard items on them car, whether OEM or not, the insurance company will have the perfect excuse not to pay a settlement, and they always look for an excuse!

This isn't about whether they'd let you remove your modifications in the event of a write off, it's whether they'll pay out at all. What if you write off a £250k supercar, or heaven forbid, fatally injure someone. Losing a £14k car could be the least of your problems.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 07:33:27 am »
As Andrew said, basically if it didn't come off the production line with it fitted then it needs to be declared.

With audio it's slightly different, most insurers will need it declaring but will only cover between £500 - £1000 depending on the policy regardless to the actual cost

Offline Polo6n1600i

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 01:33:36 pm »
Correct. Anything that wasn't std fitment at time of production is classed as a modification. Unless you have proof that it was a dealer fit option at time of origination.

Do what I do - save up, buy all the parts fit them all at the same time - call the insurance & add everything at the same time. One admin fee!!

I've declared everything on every car. And yes it may cost a little more, but its better than having your insurance declared void and unable to get insurance anywhere else!! (Remember they ask you when you go through a new quote if you have ever had insurance cancelled by an insurer? That's the type of thing that can mess up your insurance for years)

Insurance companies actually check owners club sites & they have your number plate on the policy. They know more than you think.

scottm72

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 04:50:29 pm »
cool, cheers guys, will declare shortly

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 05:01:32 pm »
Holy mother of.....
Not that I mind all the free talk, I really should turn off the email notification thing !
'04 GT TDI 140 | Remapped | Cold Air Intake | WALK | TBE