Make a donation

Author Topic: Upgrade to sat nav and sharks fin at same time?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline boyceuk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Upgrade to sat nav and sharks fin at same time?
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:50:16 am »
Hey, I'm new round here. Only jumped into the world of GTI on Friday ( http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56739.0.html ) and already thinking of treating my new pride and joy to a sat nav.

I think the current unit it has is called an RCD300 and the previous owner had also a parrot phone system which is great.

I've been having a search and read around and it looks like the RNS 510 is the one to be looking at. Would this also work with my phone so I could remove the parrot?
I'd also like the change the beesting aerial for a sharks fin as I much prefer the looks. is it worth doing these two things at the same time?

It seems like the sharks fins dont have a radio receiver in them so I would need to either hide the beesting in the head lining or get a dash aerial, whatever that is.
does this still give good reception?

Would you recommend wiring the sharks fin into the RNS 510 or still use the puck receiver mounted inside the dash?

(also considering retro fitting MFSW and cruse control but these look like much more intensive jobs)

cheers for the advice gang.

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Re: Upgrade to sat nav and sharks fin at same time?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 09:57:06 am »
You need to get a vw Bluetooth kit as well as the rns510 to have the Bluetooth functionality.

Are you planning to buy a new RNS510 or second hand?

If new Eddie-NL has one in the for sale section.

If you are wanting the Mfsw and cruise control its probable best to get everything at the same time so it can all be coded on VCDS (unless you have your own cable)

Offline boyceuk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 10:14:05 am »
It seems like the MFSW; http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30095.15.html and cruse control; http://uk-mkvs.net/forums/p/337493/2457330.aspx are a lot of work so lets just stick with the sat nav and sharks fin for for now.

I'd be happy to pick up a second hand one if it was a decent saving over the £650 from Eddie.

DO you know how much a bluetooth kit is? and where is it installed?

thanks

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:18:06 am »
I was £140 for my Bluetooth kit

Plugs into the back of the stereo and you need to run the mic up where the interior lights are

The Bluetooth module is meant to be mounted under the driver seat but I put mine in the glovebox to save having to take the dash to bits for running cables

Offline boyceuk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:37:04 am »
makes sense, thats where the current parrot mic is.

How big is the bluetooth module? Is there much glove box left?

so it would be a good idea to do the sat nav, sharks fin and bluetooth at the same time.

is your sat nav connected to the puck or sharks fin?

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 10:42:25 am »
I just have a rcd510 so no nav

The Bluetooth module is slightly bigger than a packet of fags
I have mine where the document wallet would sit in the glovebox so doesn't really take up any room

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 11:37:32 pm »
There is a version of the shark fin that has the radio aerial but most people here don't like it

Its the last post on this link http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/216497-strange-looking-aerial-base/

Offline boyceuk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 03:37:13 pm »
Yea, I dont like that either. Want to go for just the sharks fin.

would the sharks fin connect to the RNS 510 for GPS or would I need the puck aerial as well?

If I removed the parrot control screen would the parrot bluetooth module work with the RNS 510 screen or is it different to the VW module?

Offline boyceuk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 07:42:43 pm »
Sharks fin sounds like to much hassle and I've seem some post recommending the Polo 2010 aerial. So I've ordered one of these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VW-POLO-2010-AERIAL-ROD-6R0-035-849-/180967608851

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 11:42:21 pm »
Yea, I dont like that either. Want to go for just the sharks fin.

would the sharks fin connect to the RNS 510 for GPS or would I need the puck aerial as well?

If I removed the parrot control screen would the parrot bluetooth module work with the RNS 510 screen or is it different to the VW module?

Right so a couple of points  :driver:

Parrot is a separate module so won't link to rns screen.
Vw Bluetooth (5k0) would and it is great - I mounted mine under the ashtray space - nice and easy to fit then. Plus once you route the mic up to the light unit where it is meant to go you get a great system through the cars speakers
Cruise is a dead easy install - for someone like Eddie  :signLOL: he had my wheel off and back on again with a fully working cruise stalk in less than half hour.
He could also do mfsw :)

I have the polo aerial for the DAB In my stereo - looks nice on the car

Simon
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding