Make a donation

Author Topic: eBay shill bidding  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
eBay shill bidding
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:17:31 am »
I have been bidding on an item on eBay but every time I increase my bid the same 2 users place other bids within a few minutes of each other forcing the price up, as soon as they get above my max bid it seems to stop then when I increase my bid a few hours later the same 2 start again.  I tried bidding £10 more than what the item was at and I was the highest bidder again but outbid by one of them again

The seller also has a few other items up for sale and the same 2 bidders appear to be doing exactly the  same,

Should I report this to eBay ar just wait untill another one comes up for sale? As they have bidded past what the item is realistically worth

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: eBay shill bidding
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 11:26:56 am »
Report it ASAP, I always report it when I come across it, I annoys the s**t out of me. eBay take it pretty seriously and will suspend their accounts while they look into it. Oh and bid on another in the mean time.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 03:54:43 pm »
always bid at the last few seconds, before the item ends
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline gizmo68

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
  • We're here for a good time, not a long time
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 04:15:37 pm »

+1 this is the only way IMO.

Bid what you are prepared to pay and not ‘just enough to win the auction’, if you win great, if not then it sold for more than you valued it anyway so no loss to you.
VCDS HEX-NET & VCP owner (covers all VAG cars)
(PM me if you require VCDS or VCP coding or scanning in Kent)

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 04:25:53 pm »

+1 this is the only way IMO.

Bid what you are prepared to pay and not ‘just enough to win the auction’, if you win great, if not then it sold for more than you valued it anyway so no loss to you.

Agreed. I think this is the best way too.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 05:02:02 pm »
Yeah and then you get those that place shill bids and then come back after the auction has ended and say the other person decided they didn't want it any more. The same 'person' who has bumped up the price of the item substantially. I been done like that a few times. It's really annoying.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 05:07:47 pm »
I did report them but eBay does Not think it is unusual activity.as they do not live in the same house?
Both items are almost at there brand new cost even though they are used

I always just bid what i am willing to pay and leave it,

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 05:23:44 pm »
I did report them but eBay does Not think it is unusual activity.as they do not live in the same house?
Both items are almost at there brand new cost even though they are used

I always just bid what i am willing to pay and leave it,

I actually laughed out loud when I read that, what a ridiculous statement for them to come up with! One would assume, obviously incorrectly, that they would have a team of people to deal with this sort of thing but as this does not affect their bottom line I don't suppose they're to bothered.  :stupid:

You know this practice happens on something your bidding on (which you subsequently lose) when you receive a "second chance offer" after the auctions ended.

As you say, it's no biggy to you as you only bid what you consider to be the worth of that item to you.   :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 05:27:06 pm »
I won't be accepting the second chance offer if I do get one

But the price that it has been pushed up to I would rather just buy the item brand new

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 08:06:53 pm »
Tbh I've sold a lot of things where the highest bidder has spent way too much on an item and decides not to pay then you offer it down and know one pays you just need to re advertise It !
Fookin hate ebay you can't even give these dicks a bad review any more !!!

You can tell those bidders a mile off ! At the end of the day bid what you want to pay and don't go any further and defintootly report them !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 10:28:45 pm »
Shill bidding f*****g winds me the f**k up really gets on my t**s how people doing it think we are all so naive to not cotton on.  Iv lost count on how many times I have reported this to eBay including cases recently where cars pop up on 7 day auctions yet within mins they are bid up to thousands, well above book and of course re-listed the day after the auction ends.  One guy I noticed had THREE accounts! simple fact eBay do not give a damn about this practice, they get paid regardless in one way or another and only seem to act when they have absolutely no excuse not too.

These days it's very rare ill get involved in an auction, I prefer to use but it now or best offer.  I'd usually say it's the minority who spoil it for the majority but with shill bidding ill stick my neck on the line and suggest 80% of auctions are bumped up this way.

Offline Emilwy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 02:15:02 am »
I'm looking to buy a MK5 golf LEATHER ARMREST on ebay and it as 1 bid at £150. It's just an armrest. Do I just keep my cloth one ??

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 08:11:23 am »
I was 2nd highest bidder on an Ibiza Cupra Sport. Low and behold, day after the "winning bidder had pulled out". Now, it could have been a genuine bidder, as the car was a complete shed. It could have been a shill bidder. Who knows. Needless to say, i wasted a 180 mile round trip last night.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 10:40:48 am »
www.bidnapper.com is the answer your issues (I have been using them for 3-4 years), just put in your maximum bid at any time before auction end (2-3 days before end is normal for me) and it will bid for you with 2-5 seconds left, Thus not giving the shillers a chance to push it up, it's the only way i buy on auctions as shill bidding is very common these days.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:42:41 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 07:51:54 pm »

all about sniping. managed to snag a couple of items for a couple of quid more than the maximum and avoided getting into a bidding war in the process  :happy2:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+