Make a donation

Author Topic: xenon style lights by FK any good???  (Read 69061 times)

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: xenon style lights by FK any good???
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2012, 05:16:06 pm »

Done a bit of research on this today and according to a thread i was reading earlier on Briskoda the best bet is to buy normal non canbus friendly hid kit and get the coding on the car altered to xenons without shutter.This way you dont have any issues with wiper motors burning out, and the light out warning will work if one of the hid bulbs fail.

This was exactly what I did! (Coding xenon without shutters with vcds and used 6000K Infinity hids without extra warning cancelers). Work great for about 8 weeks, but suddenly wiper motor failed. Removed the hid kit and threw it away. 
Maybe also depends on modelyear. Mine is 06-2005 AXX
Still confused about the lhd/rhd switch on FK/Depo headlights, because nobody posted a picture/used the lever...

That's very weird. And the coding wasn't just to code out the bulb out light. Also what hid kit did you buy 35 or 55w. Just want to make sure before I spend any more cash.
2007 Ed30 Superchips Bluefin Stg 1
RNS510 & MDI

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2012, 05:28:27 pm »

That's very weird. And the coding wasn't just to code out the bulb out light. Also what hid kit did you buy 35 or 55w. Just want to make sure before I spend any more cash.

It was a 55W kit. Came from my dad's Audi A6.
Coding wasn't for bulb out. I checked the box 'xenon without shutters'.
Maybe the 55W was the problem?

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2012, 08:17:36 pm »
More forummembers with detailed FK/Depo o.e.m. Xenon look headlights???
Anyone discovered differences (looks) compared to o.e.m./original xenons?
Will the manual height adjuster (scroll wheel) work? 10pin connector?

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2012, 08:29:06 pm »
GOOD NEWS Guys!!!

Had a reply to my email to the seller and he confirms that they are 100% RHD and made by Depo.Tried to negotiate a discount for us but he said (and i quote) "These are already proving mega popular and we only have 6 sets so i wouldn't be looking to discount on them"

I am going to order a set now and let you know what they are like when they arrive.If anyone else is looking to buy some do so now as id imagine when these are gone and come back on sale they will be at a higher price.

Looking forward to your conclusion.  Get some good pics up if you can, be nice to see conclusively if these are worth a purchase.  Apart from the fear of removing the bumper this looks like a nice little mod :happy2:

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2012, 09:38:00 pm »
More forummembers with detailed FK/Depo o.e.m. Xenon look headlights???
Anyone discovered differences (looks) compared to o.e.m./original xenons?
Will the manual height adjuster (scroll wheel) work? 10pin connector?
They are plug and play fitted with adjusters. The manual level should work as normal.
RNS510 & MDI

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2012, 09:21:27 am »
All of these headlights look identical to OEM – the only difference is in construction. Hella and Depo are known for making OEM equipment so are associated with good quality. But nothing to say non Hella or Depo aren’t good quality.

As for the LHD > RHD lever, they’re virtually all in the same place for all headlights. This is because the beam pattern is altered by a metal plate in front of the bulb (before the projector).

This is a good view of where to look for it (location wise) the lever itself might look slightly different

Offline red6688

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2012, 12:13:38 pm »
hi ive bought some fk automotive xenon look lights from fk but are labelled DEPO ,after searching for the lever and recieving pics there is denitely NO LEVER but i just noticed at the top a L and R with a plastic bolt to turn ,is this the LEVER TO CHANGE FROM LEFT TO RIGHT HAND DRIVE ????if so sorry tim i will have to keep these lights after all.

the lenses as requested (same as keano!)

Offline red6688

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2012, 12:21:28 pm »
1st pic shows the bolt
2nd pic shows when you turn bolt l and r it will push the cog and move the lense .is this to alter left and right hand drive option to alter the left and right kick for uk use ?

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2012, 12:33:01 pm »
Sounds quite possibly that is the lever if the lense tilts up on the L turn and down on the R turn of the bolt?

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2012, 01:08:05 pm »
Afraid not guys. That's actually moving the area the light is being thrown out at further left, right... there will be one for up, down too... once set these normally never need to be changed.

Look at the picture I posted. The lever will be next to where the bulb fits. Looking at your pics Red, there is no lever to be seen.

Also if you take a closer look at the pic I posted, and in particular where the bulb fits - you can see a metal plate in that hole. The left pic shows the very subtle kick up... this shape:
___
     \_____
... and the right pic shows the opposite...
       ____
___/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:09:58 pm by GTI_UK »

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2012, 01:52:24 pm »
Afraid not guys. That's actually moving the area the light is being thrown out at further left, right... there will be one for up, down too... once set these normally never need to be changed.

Look at the picture I posted. The lever will be next to where the bulb fits. Looking at your pics Red, there is no lever to be seen.

Also if you take a closer look at the pic I posted, and in particular where the bulb fits - you can see a metal plate in that hole. The left pic shows the very subtle kick up... this shape:
___
     \_____
       ____
___/

So which is the correct one for rhd according to the image you posted earlier ?
RNS510 & MDI

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2012, 01:54:42 pm »

___
     \_____
       ____
___/

So which is the correct one for rhd according to the image you posted earlier ?

One on the left:

i.e. ___
          \_____

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2012, 02:08:10 pm »
Good stuff. Red6688 what does your shutter look like in your projector ?
RNS510 & MDI

DSG-GTI

« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2012, 02:36:23 pm »
Looks and sounds interesting guy's ....  They look really good, Maybe one of you guys could fit them and park parallel to a flat surface and see what the lever does to the beam, I think this is going to be the only true way of actually finding out how the pattern changes. Me personally will be happy as long as the beam is not all over the place and cuts off at a set level and is flat with a kick up on kerb side... Although the height will adjustable via the dash still anyway. Keep up the good work fellas we are nearly there.  :wink: Finger is on the trigger...

Offline red6688

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2012, 03:43:46 pm »

the kick is on the right so does that mean its left hand drive?
these lights driving me crazy ,if lhd tim do you still want them?