Make a donation

Author Topic: half cages  (Read 4707 times)

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
half cages
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:24:33 pm »
Looking into a half cage just for the look side of things.

Only ones i have seen is a full kit from demon tweeks at over 1k, i only want a half cage for the rear, would custom be a better option?
Does anyone have any ideas were to get them from?
Cheers peeps  :drinking:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: half cages
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »

:popcornsoda:

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:24:06 pm »
Been looking into it mike and seems custom may be the only way to go.

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:24:49 am »
Sure i have heard that a MK4 golf rear cage will fit with some modification.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:47:11 am »

Retaining rear seats?

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:24:20 am »

Retaining rear seats?

Spot the family man!  :grin:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 11:29:10 am »
I looked into this a while ago and there are half-cages available but they take a lot of time and effort to take them in and out and also you do have to hack into your interior trim.

Looking into a half cage just for the look side of things.

If it's just for show (pointless in my opinion and folks aren't gonna be impressed), then the words "chocolate teapot" come to mind. You may as well make one out of toilet roll centres and paint it.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:53:33 am »
Or copper tubing and pipe insulation... though there were reports of Saxo show cages being more dangerous in an accident!
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:03 pm »

Retaining rear seats?

As i remenber yes but probably not ideal on a 4 door,  It was a black mk5 gti with a orange half cage.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:30:27 pm »

Or copper tubing and pipe insulation... though there were reports of Saxo show cages being more dangerous in an accident!

.... :scared:  I wonder what an insurer would say!

Although absolutely not my thing, I understand folks building Show cars but not with false roll-cages. Lots of hassle making/fitting any roll-cage and with none of the safety benefits. It's not much better than fitting a big BTCC-style roof spoiler on a car which is never driven on track. At best, doing such mods is a natural part of a teenager growing up. At worst, it screams of chav wannabe. Just my opinion.  :smiley:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 03:31:01 pm »
Obese's car from the Members Rides Section

Cage is built by my own fair hands and it was a pain in the bum!!! Think it cost me about £46 all together, its not made from anything fancy as its still a road car :happy2:

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 03:46:34 pm »
Well i think just because its not a "full fia" cage shouldnt mean its useless...its for a looks point of veiw, would look more silly having 2 bucket seats with no cage in my eyes, and its still a road car and i dont want to ruin it by putting a full cage in, its just for looks and to hold my seat harnes like the pic above, and plus i like the look of them, when your behind a car and you see some pipework you know somone has got motorsport in mind  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 04:07:02 pm »

Well i think just because its not a "full fia" cage shouldnt mean its useless...its for a looks point of veiw, would look more silly having 2 bucket seats with no cage in my eyes, and its still a road car and i dont want to ruin it by putting a full cage in, its just for looks and to hold my seat harnes like the pic above, and plus i like the look of them, when your behind a car and you see some pipework you know somone has got motorsport in mind  :smiley:

....I wasn't referring to a "full FIA" spec cage. So, are you after a properly mounted  half-cage? If properly mounted it will serve to protect in an accident. However, there is a school of thought which says that if you have a roll-cage fitted and are not wearing a helmet (which you wouldn't do on the road) then you could more easily suffer head injuries.

When you wrote "just for the looks" I thought you meant a 'Show cage' - Many of which aren't even mounted properly.

I'm afraid that fitting any roll-cage will involve cutting into your interior trim etc and must be securely mounted properly if it's to use a safety harness.

Insuring a car for road use with a roll-cage can be difficult too, but SteveP (or Obese? Or NeilM) should be able to advise you on that.

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 06:43:33 pm »

....I wasn't referring to a "full FIA" spec cage. So, are you after a properly mounted  half-cage? If properly mounted it will serve to protect in an accident. However, there is a school of thought which says that if you have a roll-cage fitted and are not wearing a helmet (which you wouldn't do on the road) then you could more easily suffer head injuries.

When you wrote "just for the looks" I thought you meant a 'Show cage' - Many of which aren't even mounted properly.

I'm afraid that fitting any roll-cage will involve cutting into your interior trim etc and must be securely mounted properly if it's to use a safety harness.

Insuring a car for road use with a roll-cage can be difficult too, but SteveP (or Obese? Or NeilM) should be able to advise you on that.

In a way it is just for looks i guess, the purpose that it serves doesnt really come into (stupid i know) its a half cage that id want properly fitted but i dont want to wreck my trim by cutting it etc, id rather take it out... (trim that is)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 07:13:02 pm »

In a way it is just for looks i guess, the purpose that it serves doesnt really come into (stupid i know) its a half cage that id want properly fitted but i dont want to wreck my trim by cutting it etc, id rather take it out... (trim that is)

....Either way, irrespective of whether our approaches to this are different, it'll be interesting to see what you decide to do  :happy2: