Make a donation

Author Topic: question regarding mk5 or mk6 mfsw compatability  (Read 4884 times)

scottm72

question regarding mk5 or mk6 mfsw compatability
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:36:54 pm »
looking for some opinions on fitting a flat bottom mk6 mfsw to the mk5 gti
12 button system,
I have fitted 510 unit and will be putting r32 clocks in before the new wheel with full highline
I have received mixed responses regarding not all of the 12 buttons working on the mk5 due to the wheel being for the mk6
a few people on this forum have said they have full 12 working ? but all the information I am getting is that only possibly 6 will work ?
now I don't dispute the 6 working with my supplier but since this wheel is mega deer I would like to clarify this as seems a bit silly fitting this with half the system working, if it was a £200 fitment then ok the cosmetic upgrade is worth it but the wheel is in the £560 range with the fitments etc and that is before the actual fitting costs.
this is the wheel I have been looking at

or this black one

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:46:32 am by scottm72 »

Offline SI-R32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
Re: question regarding mk6 mfsw compatability
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 07:54:10 pm »
Hi Scott, yes mate only 7 buttons work as standard, you can have the phone button working but i believe you have to have one of the newer type of VW bluetooth modules, also if you enable BAP on the 510 the track forward reverse will work, BUT you will loose the 510 display on the full MFD for track info and the nav display when you need that.

i would say the idea of most of us fitting one is cos it looks the nuts compared to standard, yes it would be great if all the buttons worked but you soon get used to it.
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

scottm72

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:42:54 pm »
thanks for that, yeah my normal wheel looks fat lol, prob best word for it, your opinion is appreciated very much  :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:59:31 pm »
With mine the only button not working is the return button  on the right hand side at the bottom  and that's with a after market unit

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 10:20:48 pm »
With mine the only button not working is the return button  on the right hand side at the bottom  and that's with a after market unit

Hi there, really interested to know how you get all the other buttons to work? any change u can go into a bit of detail of how/what your using to make them work and any coding please, cheers

Si

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 10:24:22 pm »

I didn't notice that many working when I worked on your car Andy, I know I got the mute to work.
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:26:22 pm »
Right side buttons

UP = Works the trip computer
DOWN = Works the trip computer
LEFT = Doesn't work
RIGHT = Works like a Menu button on the mk5 mfsw. Depending on cluster fitted
RETURN = Works the phone menu if you have a 5N0 kit or Fiscon kit, Only on cars with Highline
OK = Works with the Trip Computer

Left side buttons

+ = Volume up on a VW radio
- = Volume down on a VW radio
LEFT = Changes track / Radio station on RCD300 & MFD2 & RNS310 (doesn't work with RNS / RCD510)
RIGHT = Changes track / Radio station on RCD300 & MFD2 & RNS310 (doesn't work with RNS / RCD510)
Microphone = Mute or Voice control with RNS510
Phone Button = Works with 5K0, 5N0 and Fiscon kits
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:37:13 pm by Eddie-NL »
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 10:29:28 pm »
cheers ED i have 510 so bloody typical that it works lesser models but not high end ones ?? go figure.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 10:33:23 pm »
Sorry i should of read it properly :sad1:8 buttons work!

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:48:29 pm »
I had 9 buttons working with the RNS fitted
11 buttons with the RCD300

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Offline golfman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 09:21:06 am »
This is one of the upgrades I never done on my golf but since having my Tiguan with this wheel I would have definitely done it now!!!

Scott :happy2:

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

scottm72

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 11:11:15 pm »
cheers guys, still nobody with the 12 working yet, starting to think what I read before was just a passing comment saying - yeah I got all 12 working dude - when in reality nobody actually has,,,, wish I remember where I read it now.
so as of now we have 9 buttons max  :happy2:

scottm72

Re: question regarding mk5 or mk6 mfsw compatability
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 06:55:36 pm »
I have had no reply from the guy saying he has 12 buttons working, cant remember his name and I wasn't saving my outgoing messages at the time so cant find him but as no reply I can only assume that nobody out there has 12 buttons working
is this just with the mk6 wheel or can you get them all to work on the mk5 wheel ?
anyone know ?

Offline golfman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 07:03:22 pm »
I have had no reply from the guy saying he has 12 buttons working, cant remember his name and I wasn't saving my outgoing messages at the time so cant find him but as no reply I can only assume that nobody out there has 12 buttons working
is this just with the mk6 wheel or can you get them all to work on the mk5 wheel ?
anyone know ?
It was Jake who said he had all the buttons working,probably not unless he can get them all working with the polar fis advanced but again i dont know if that is it!!!!
with the phone kit you have scott even with the mk5 multi function wheel you wouldn't get the phone button to work so to be honest both wheels will not work all buttons but in my honest opinion the mk6 wheel is way better!!!

scott :happy2:

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

scottm72

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 07:28:39 pm »
anyone know ?
It was Jake who said he had all the buttons working,probably not unless he can get them all working with the polar fis advanced but again i dont know if that is it!!!!
with the phone kit you have scott even with the mk5 multi function wheel you wouldn't get the phone button to work so to be honest both wheels will not work all buttons but in my honest opinion the mk6 wheel is way better!!!

scott :happy2:

cheers scott, he has confirmed since fitting his polar he has went from 11 working back to 9, think I will accept defeat in this scott.
a bit overkill from me I guess asking so many questions that maybe a lot of people see as pretty pointless but as I said it is nearly a grand for this upgrade with the clocks and after eddie went and ordered the wheel for me before I think I said ( eddie please order the wheel for me ) although I could be mistaken,,,, I want to be crystal clear on any parts I need and do the research myself.
also I don't wanna get a wheel fitted then think to myself - hmm,, that looks kinda sh*t.
I think it will be the case of deciding what the best looking wheel is but as you say you like the mk6 one and I think I agree, will do a last sweep for pics though to confirm this.
as you say eddie does a good supply service and I don't want to waste his time on indecisive part lists.
regarding rear cluster lights, lots of people like the round led look that markymark has fitted, but I think they look to metallic on a black car, was looking at the mk6 strip led lights but all small print I see says it doesn't fit the gti ?
im thinking something smoky looking would possibly look good on a black car ? will keep looking
cheers again dude