Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo Stage 2 (Probably Stage 1)  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Revo Stage 2 (Probably Stage 1)
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:12:48 pm »
I am planning on getting my GTI (KO3) mapped soon and looking at Revo.

I was thinking of going straight to stage 2. What hardware changes are required?

I fitted a BCS TBE last week and have read the intake will need changing. Also that the DV should be changed for any stage. Anything else or will that be ok for stage 2?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:39:06 pm by Kalpsn2000 »
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: Revo Stage 2
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:08:44 pm »
TBE and CAI should be fine for stage 2. Most peeps seem to be going with the Revision G Diverter valve now (latest diaphragm one) with no problems reported with splitting and holds boost really well.

From REVO's website....

http://www.revotechnik.com/stage-2/

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 10:55:33 pm »
^^^
Thanks for that :happy2:

The site mentions an intercooler, is this a necessary part of stage 2 or can I get away with just the TBE, CAI & DV?
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:19:51 pm »
If it were me (my Eddy is only stage 1 so its not) I'd get the Stage 2 map and think about adding an intercooler and also a HPFP as they both can only help with the temp' and fuelling respectively. If I were you, I'd go along to a recommended tuner and have a chat and go from there. For now I think with a standard REVO stage 2 map, you'll be fine.

:drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:33:47 pm »
You definitely don't need an aftermarket intercooler on Revo Stage 2 on K03 unless you do lots of trackdays in the Summer. Sure, it reduces temperatures but is definitely not needed and my car is proof of that regardless of what Revo say. Revo Stage 2+ needs an intercooler.

IF you add a very efficient aftermarket tubular high-flow air intake it is very likely that you'll need an aftermarket high pressure fuel pump to deal with the extra air in the air-fuel mix (or you risk power hesitations or cut-outs). You don't have to change the intake to run Stage 2 but it does release more power from the remap. Same applies to the TBE.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9988.0.html

VW have at last revised their DV to be better than the early ones which were inclined to rip under heavier boost levels, so an up-to-date revison OEM DV should do fine.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:55:58 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:37 am »
Thanks Robin, that was a good read :happy2:

I won't be doing many (any) track days so no need for the intercooler. So it's probably best to change the CAI and HPFP at the same time, IF I do?

I will be heading down to a recommended tuner soon but just wanted to get a better understanding before I do. I think PDT have a branch near me (based in NW London).

I am starting to understand what this slippery slope is now :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 11:09:43 am »

I won't be doing many (any) track days so no need for the intercooler. So it's probably best to change the CAI and HPFP at the same time, IF I do?

I will be heading down to a recommended tuner soon but just wanted to get a better understanding before I do. I think PDT have a branch near me (based in NW London).

....There's no real advantage in installing a CAI and HPFP in the same session but it is definitely a very good idea to check and anyway renew the Cam Follower (~£20) while the fuel pump is being changed.

Unless you already have lots of performance modding experience or knowledge, it's best IMO to mod one step at a time. Not only do you appreciate more exactly what each mod individually contributes but if you have a problem it usually makes diagnosing it much easier/quicker.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 11:28:37 am »

....There's no real advantage in installing a CAI and HPFP in the same session but it is definitely a very good idea to check and anyway renew the Cam Follower (~£20) while the fuel pump is being changed.

Unless you already have lots of performance modding experience or knowledge, it's best IMO to mod one step at a time. Not only do you appreciate more exactly what each mod individually contributes but if you have a problem it usually makes diagnosing it much easier/quicker.

I am a modding noob really. So after reading this thread and some other articles I am actually thinking of taking your advice and going stage 1 for now.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 11:36:45 am »
You'll be blown over with stage 1. As Robin says, mod one stage at time and enjoy it, live with it and if you fancy more, move onwards and upwards.

:happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 11:39:37 am »

I am a modding noob really. So after reading this thread and some other articles I am actually thinking of taking your advice and going stage 1 for now.

....Well it's up to you of course, but to go from Revo (for example) Stage 1 to Stage 2 only costs ~£50 IIRC.

I ran on Stage 1 for tens of thousands of miles before Stage 2. I was also advised by professional tuners that it's a good idea to fit some of your hardware performance mods before remapping so that the remap might be fine tuned to accommodate them more efficiently. But most folks go max bang for buck and want the power as soon as possible and don't wait.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 11:43:40 am »
You'll be blown over with stage 1. As Robin says, mod one stage at time and enjoy it, live with it and if you fancy more, move onwards and upwards.

:happy2:

Sounds good :happy2:

So for stage 1 I guess I only need to change the DV to the latest revision?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 11:48:12 am »

So for stage 1 I guess I only need to change the DV to the latest revision?

....Yep - Not sure which is best between DV Rev D and G. You've already got a TBE and can add an aftermarket air intake later if you want. Btw, the Carbonio is just a more efficient scoop and only adds a couple of bhp at best and a slightly improved throttle response and a tiny bit of torque.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 11:49:24 am »

....Well it's up to you of course, but to go from Revo (for example) Stage 1 to Stage 2 only costs ~£50 IIRC.

I ran on Stage 1 for tens of thousands of miles before Stage 2. I was also advised by professional tuners that it's a good idea to fit some of your hardware performance mods before remapping so that the remap might be fine tuned to accommodate them more efficiently. But most folks go max bang for buck and want the power as soon as possible and don't wait.

Yes its is but I think I was getting carried away. Also wasn't sure about the upgrade cost but at only around £50 its no big deal.

I think I will be happy with stage 1 for now and take my time if I want more. I already have the TBE which I assume will make a difference at stage 1 also?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 11:58:02 am »

I think I will be happy with stage 1 for now and take my time if I want more. I already have the TBE which I assume will make a difference at stage 1 also?

....Yes, the TBE component should add some significant power when you go Stage 1.

We wait for the usual enthusiastic whoopee's etc posted after you have had your first drive on Stage 1  :laugh:

The difference between Revo Stage 1 and 2 is far more subtle - Strong, but subtle.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 12:23:19 pm »

....Yes, the TBE component should add some significant power when you go Stage 1.

We wait for the usual enthusiastic whoopee's etc posted after you have had your first drive on Stage 1  :laugh:

The difference between Revo Stage 1 and 2 is far more subtle - Strong, but subtle.

Nice! Really loving the BCS Powervalve Sport TBE in terms of looks and sound, so the extra power will be great :happy2:

I'm sure a suitable response will follow the remap :driver: