Make a donation

Author Topic: Self Drive Ski Holiday Austria 40th bash  (Read 653 times)

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Self Drive Ski Holiday Austria 40th bash
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:48:56 pm »
After talking with a few of my mates we came to the conclusion that my 40th birthday bash (In April  :sad1:)should involve a road trip to the Austrian Alps and combine it with a snowboarding holiday  :happy2:

We decided on Austria as we have been there several times in the last 10 yrs and always enjoyed it, we also prefer Austria as they are generally more friendly than the French (And the austrians/german know how to queue, unlike the french!!).

Just got to decide which resort (ave been to St Anton and Ischgl before), like the look of Solden due to being a glacier (late in the season) and decent nighlife.

We can go in my mates Audi A4 Avant so just got to locate a ski rack capable of holding 3 snowboards (Looking at the Thule 727).

Will be the first time I have driven to Alps for 13 years!, looking forward to it, it's also gonna be a cheap holiday too, looking at self catered apt 3 bedrooms so we each have our own room (including sofa bed in lounge) and with travel costs (Fuel/tunnel etc) should be less than £300 each.

Are there road tolls in Germany (I know there are in france as I remember paying £125+ for the privelidge) but unsura about Germany or Austria?.

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Re: Self Drive Ski Holiday Austria 40th bash
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 12:16:22 pm »
Sounds great,planning a boarding trip myself early next year.Anyway,ski rack?..3 of us comfortably did a road trip with the boards and gear in the back of a Passat,just wondering if its worth the added expense,(apres ski money) on bothering with a rack?  :driver:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=jfr2o7r5ulombadm7p1m2qohbd&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:22:54 pm »
Zell am See is gorgeous... there are loads of different mountains around there.. including Kitzsteinhorn which is incredible!

Kitzsteinhorn by Rich Wigley, on Flickr

Taken in summer...  :happy2:

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:26:34 pm »
I was in Tahoe last christmas Rich and it just looked like that..Did,nt dump at all,may as well worn my flip flops..The sceptics did an awesome job on the snow makers tho.. all the runs were open.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=jfr2o7r5ulombadm7p1m2qohbd&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 12:48:15 pm »
We were up that same mountain an jan 2011 and it was a blizzard... couldnt see more than about 10 meters.  :scared:

Offline jonm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 12
    • Staffs-VW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 12:48:49 pm »
You normally find most resorts close after the easter break due to the lack of snow...

Last year we ended up at Passo Tonale, Italy over Easter and they had snowfall all week while we were there...

This Easter we're off to Cervinia, Italy with expected levels being good...

Italy is cheaper than Austria for skiing and really easy to drive to.