Make a donation

Author Topic: Two Golfs, One Love  (Read 2364 times)

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
Two Golfs, One Love
« on: November 22, 2012, 01:12:06 pm »
Hey,

I've been lurking on this site for a bit now but I decided to join up given I have two Golfies at the moment! First of all I like to apologise that they're not GTI's, well not yet anyway but I'm pretty sure that time would come soon. Bit of car history, my first car was a 2005 VW Polo 1.2 which unfortunately met its demise with a skirmish against an Italian Lorry on the Motorway (went over my lane and gave me a right punt)! So I had a 2011 Golf MK6 Twist as a replacement and it was a nice car albiet a bit slow! I threw in the Golf R LED Tailights for good measure and it looked pretty nice!

Unfortunately some thieving miscreant (to put it politely) had broken into my house to nab the keys and stolen it, yeah one bad luck after another.  :sad1: It was never found to this day so I presumed its in bits and got sold off.

After a depressing period of driving a Nissan Micra for 3 months (yeah what a downgrade) my insurance company finally took their time to pay out the lost vehicle. So I browsed the Auto Trader and found a rather nice low mileage 2006 VW Golf 1.6 FSI for not too much money and it was in the colour I like - Shadow Blue. To be honest I always wanted a MK5 Golf, it's just prettier in my opinion! Though the car I bought was the "Poverty Spec" S model so not much luxuries, plus it did have a couple of dents and scuffs here and there. But anyway I gave it a refresh with a bodywork respray, dents fixed, new genuine GT bumper, new alloys and a new stereo. To its credit it drives like brand new, nothing bad to report which is nice!  :smiley: I called this car "Marvelous Grace" or "Gracie" for short.

Even though I was happy with this Golf I decided to look for more and I saw a Silver 2004 VW Golf GT 140 PD going for cheap on eBay. I decided to take the chance and bought it thinking it was a bargain. Well it didn't turn out to be this way haha! I took it to my favourite local VW garage - Midland VW in Cannock and they found quite a number of things that needed attention, Front Brakes, Leaking Radiator, Inlet Manifold Flap, CV Boot Joint, Glowplugs and missing bits under the bonnet!  :surprised: As well as a cambelt change and full service the lot costed me a cool £800 so far. And I haven't even touched the bodywork yet, let's just say it has seen better days...

I was close to throwing in the towel on the GT but seeing the sad sight of this car made me determined to stick with it and give it some much needed TLC (I called this poorly car "Tatheta"). The interior trim was quite worn so I carbon wrapped the centre console with Di-Noc, the light switch was completely scratched to hell so I got a Passat Chrome Switch to replace it. Going to give it the updated Canbus Gateway (L Revision) so I can upgrade the RCD300 stereo to the RCD310 without fearing battery drain. Also needs a new Instrument cluster as the computer screen is broken, yeah I don't know how the previous owner managed to mangle that one up. Then I plan to take it to the bodyshop and give it the total works but that would come soon.

OK at this point you're probably want to see the pics so here they are...

My Two Golfies

This is Gracie

This is Tatheta

Interior of "Poverty Spec" Gracie

Did I mention I like foxgirls?  :innocent:

Showing off Gracie's Sporting Credentials(?)

Inside Tatheta, it's a work in progress...

Bruised and battered Tatheta :(

Missing Liner & Undertray...

Flaking Paint

Door punched...

Punctured sideskirt...

Roof scratches...

Valance Crack...

Hazed Headlights...

So there we have it, I'm going to be working on Tatheta over the next couple of weeks to bring her back to good condition. I probably need some of your guys advice should I wish to do something technical to Tatheta but I'm going one step at a time. Hope to hear from you guys soon!  :wink:

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
Re: Two Golfs, One Love
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:50:40 pm »
Quite looking foward to the progress on these two  :happy2: