Make a donation

Author Topic: Forge Twintake and Revo Stage 2+  (Read 13158 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Forge Twintake and Revo Stage 2+
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 11:23:28 pm »

Thanks Hurdy. Id read that article earlier today and sent Thomas an email. He did come back to me but only said  GIAC had given Forge some data from their testing and that Forge were currently using it to make adjustments to the twintake hardware and would have an update soon. If you are able to get any more info than that I would much appreciate it.

....Please keep me posted on what Forge are doing so I can update my Review for everyone's benefit.  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 09:04:58 am »
I believe the twintake is now supplied with pipercross filters.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »

But are these new filters any better than the old version ones or been simply replaced due to wholesale costs?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline chopper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 03:12:22 pm »
I see pipercross do a line of replacement conical filters of varying size, with one giving a bhp rating up to 380. it measures 80mm internal diameter and height by width 200*200mm. i will need to do some measuring to see if they will fit inside the forge canister, or may have to just take the cansiter out of the equation and just bolt pipercross straight on to forge pipe. ill have to find some way to steady the distal end though.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 05:24:27 pm »

I see pipercross do a line of replacement conical filters of varying size, with one giving a bhp rating up to 380. it measures 80mm internal diameter and height by width 200*200mm. i will need to do some measuring to see if they will fit inside the forge canister, or may have to just take the cansiter out of the equation and just bolt pipercross straight on to forge pipe. ill have to find some way to steady the distal end though.

....I'll see if I can talk to the right person at Forge tomorrow and report back.  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline chopper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 05:47:18 pm »
Thanks RR

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 10:14:39 am »

....Only on the Golf R Twintake according to who I spoke to at Forge this morning. I think Forge have found that their existing filters on the GTI Twintake perform better than Pipercross ones do on GTI K03 - Needs confirmation.

Having spoken with Forge this morning I have sent them a link to this thread and they have said they will look into the whole question and respond. It needs to go to their tech department guy.

Offline chopper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 02:47:29 pm »
Thanks RR. Ill look forward to hearing what Forge have to say. There might be an alternative bolt in filter... maybe their recent work on the Wintake might also be suitable for the Twintake

Offline chopper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 09:06:49 pm »
I have just double checked - the orientation of my Forge canisters is definitely correct.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cljp7dgjd7b2pm5m1bln6qugpn&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 12:55:17 am »
I have just double checked - the orientation of my Forge canisters is definitely correct.

Can you do me a favour please? And measure the diameter of each end of the filter?  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 09:32:49 am »

I've just been and checked mine and its fitted as forge instructions but I think it's the opposite way to RR review.

^^^As you can see this has been drawing the air from outside^^^

^^^^ Sorry but that's the wrong way round (but is as Forge's original instructions before they were corrected).

NOTE: According to Forge, you should keep them that way around (unless replaced) so that no missed debris after cleaning can be placed on the turbo side. Apparently there is no disadvantage in performance.

I have new filters from Forge and they are now fitted the correct way around (my originals weren't - I insisted on following Forge's original instructions sheet and not JKM Jim's thinking) - My dyno plots indicate no difference in performance although the filters were not tested back-to-back on the same day.

^ The side taking air to the turbo.

In other words, the filter cones (concealed inside the canisters) should be the same way around as other cone filters are usually fitted.

It's written and fully illustrated in my review.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:50:19 am by RedRobin »

Offline chopper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 10:17:38 pm »
surely if the golf r has same engine as my ed30 and the cupra r, why would it need different (pipercross) filters? are forge trying to pull a fly one here? have they realised the current standard filters arent up to scratch?
can we get hold of the golf R filters?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 08:17:54 am »

They all tune the same so if its not up to the job for one then how is it for the rest?

The question here is whether the Twintake is up to the job for Revo Stage 2+ on a K04 turbo.

Let's wait and see what Forge have to say.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 11:37:49 pm »
Following on from this, today I received a reply from Forge (their technical guy) as follows:

"Hi Robin

I have done some tests on my golf mk5 GTi this has a big turbo conversion currently at around 400 BHP with the twintake and I have found that it perfectly flows enough G/S to produce 370 BHP.

After this I would recommend larger pipework and an open cone filter that has enough flow capability.

As you know we tried many different designs on the K03 / K04 cars and the twintake worked better than the open cone and any other design we tried.

But it seems that anything 370+ BHP the twintake will not flow enough."

So I hope this answers some of the questions raised in this thread  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cljp7dgjd7b2pm5m1bln6qugpn&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 12:40:15 am »
Robin... What colour is the forge twintake? Is it red or black?? I'm concerned about its visibility!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:43:49 am by richwig83 »