Make a donation

Author Topic: Forge Twintake and Revo Stage 2+  (Read 13591 times)

Offline chopper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Forge Twintake and Revo Stage 2+
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:11:35 pm »
anyone running stage 2+ Revo with a forge twintake on Edition 30. Im running this setup and am having issues with fault codes showing car running lead and pulling timing which was picked up on some recent logs. Have had to dial back sps settings until I can figure out whats up. Ive been told it could be an airflow issue leading to poor MAF readings. Anyone else had similar issues?

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Forge Twintake and Revo Stage 2+
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:39:32 pm »
What was the fault code?
This reminds me of another member who had the wrong rail pressure sensor from the factory and got lean running codes with revo stage 2+.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:24:41 am »
Yep, GIAC had the same issues as you with trying to get their Stage 2+ development Golf R to make power. In the end they had to alter the twintake to get power. I don't know exactly what they did but I believe they at least had to change the filters for higher flow/bigger ones.
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:59:46 am »
^^^^
This surely must be an issue restricted to Stage 2+ on K04, as back-to-back dyno runs at JKM with my Forge Twintake gained ~15 bhp on my K03 GTI.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9988.0.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:01:32 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:10:29 am »
^^^^
This surely must be an issue restricted to Stage 2+ on K04, as back-to-back dyno runs at JKM with my Forge Twintake gained ~15 bhp on my K03 GTI.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9988.0.html

Yes it is Robin, the twintake is ok for K03 levels of power and flow, but apparently not for a K04 at stage 2+. It wouldn't surprise me if Forge had exactly the same intake (filters and all) for the K04 as the K03, but just the take-off pipe as a difference. Then I bet they didn't flow test it in development on a K04 at stage 2+!
Golf R gone.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=p06md707jpuku33mgj8tngdaii&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:22:02 am »
John. I'm 99.999% sure the the only change is the one you mention.

There is something about the twintake that I don't like.... I think it's a design with "design" prioritised. 

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 10:52:14 am »

John. I'm 99.999% sure the the only change is the one you mention.

There is something about the twintake that I don't like.... I think it's a design with "design" prioritised.  

....Then, being an ex professional designer, that must be why I like the Twintake so much!  :grin:. It definitely is right for my car and we all know how much I hate the look of ITG's foam bits.

To be fair, I'm not sure that Stage 2+ software was available when Forge were testing pre-release, but the K04 Ed30 was.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:18:32 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 11:18:17 am »
I have now revised my Forge Twintake Review under MINUS POINTS to reflect this information about the K04 Stage 2+ application  :happy2:

Offline chopper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 11:47:11 am »
Im due to go back up for another logging session next week, but CEL has come back on already so im guessing the fault has returned even after REVO software update. Ill check the fault code again then. it was something to do with engine running lean. ? due to not enough air flow? and cutting back on fuel?
Im not keen to switch back to my old carbonio intake and standard engine cover cos it will lead to restriction at top end.
Anyone got any suggestions as to which filters I might be able to bolt on to replace the Forge ones but keep the pipes?
Or any ideas which filters GIAC used?
any help appreciated.... quite frustrating just not quite having perfection

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 11:53:02 am »

Im due to go back up for another logging session next week, but CEL has come back on already so im guessing the fault has returned even after REVO software update. Ill check the fault code again then. it was something to do with engine running lean. ? due to not enough air flow? and cutting back on fuel?

Im not keen to switch back to my old carbonio intake and standard engine cover cos it will lead to restriction at top end.
Anyone got any suggestions as to which filters I might be able to bolt on to replace the Forge ones but keep the pipes?
Or any ideas which filters GIAC used?
any help appreciated.... quite frustrating just not quite having perfection

....After I had my Forge Twintake fitted (on K03 Revo Stage 2), it started to cause occasional and random power hesitations when suddenly on hard throttle. JKM found this to be due to the increased air in the air-fuel mix and the problem has been solved with an APR hpfp. The APR pump also contributes to a stronger mid range power delivery.

So, which hpfp are you running?

Offline chopper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 12:02:26 pm »
Ive put in the APR HPFP, and this has been in since before I went to Revo stage2+. twintake and twintercooler went on at same time as hpfp. running APR TBE as well.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 12:06:59 pm »

Ive put in the APR HPFP, and this has been in since before I went to Revo stage2+. twintake and twintercooler went on at same time as hpfp. running APR TBE as well.

....This doesn't help you now but often it's better to add performance mods one at a time so that, if there are any issues, they can potentially be more easily identified.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you with this sooner or later. What does your favourite workshop say about it?

Offline chopper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 12:18:42 pm »
RR, I couldnt help myself with all the mods in one big splurge, plus it was cheaper to get them all done together.
My local REVO dealer has changed recently, and the new one seems to think its the TWintake as the main culprit. As i say i have to go back for more logs once updated map has been on for a while and got some good quality super unleaded through system. Trying to rule out poor quality super too. Normally i run BP 97RON - nothing higher available here. Sometimes use Topaz if caught out.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 04:48:20 pm »
Steve Jr has also said today that he has had K04 stage 2+ cars holding back at 6krpms with the Forge Twintake fitted, so you aren't alone Chopper.

I'll PM Thomas@GIAC and see if he can shed any light on the issue with the filters for you :happy2:

In the meantime it looks like GIAC have officially released their stage 2 software for the Golf R with the Forge Twintake as one of the listed mods - I wonder if it is now supplied with different filters?

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48507
Golf R gone.

Offline chopper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 09:17:53 pm »
Thanks Hurdy. Id read that article earlier today and sent Thomas an email. He did come back to me but only said  GIAC had given Forge some data from their testing and that Forge were currently using it to make adjustments to the twintake hardware and would have an update soon. If you are able to get any more info than that I would much appreciate it.