Make a donation

Author Topic: Condensation in tail lights  (Read 11664 times)

Offline saadn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Condensation in tail lights
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:10:10 pm »
What's the best way to get rid of condensation from the rear lights?

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Condensation in tail lights
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:13:10 pm »
^^^^
I think it's a temperature difference between inside and outside the light unit. You should find it will disappear of its own accord after an hour or two.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline saadn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 05:16:14 pm »
Nope, it's been there since yesterday; just bought these lights a few weeks ago as well.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 05:17:33 pm »

Nope, it's been there since yesterday; just bought these lights a few weeks ago as well.

....New lights? Secondhand lights? Which lights - OEM?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline saadn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 05:28:40 pm »
Yeah new. Hella R32 style ones. I took the bulb holder out one of em to see if bulbs were already in. I think thats the one with condensation.

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 05:53:52 pm »
Are the lights screwed up tight to the body work?

Think I remember reading about a member who had the same problem with condensation and worked out that he didn't have the lights tighten enough, as the pressure against the body work helped to seal the units. Could also be talking out my hole :signLOL:

Might be worth a shot though  :happy2:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:57:39 pm »
I had the same in mine, turned out I needed to secure them much more tightly in the car.  I was securing them finger tight and they need to be tightened with tools which pulls the entire light together and creates the water tight seal.

I took mine off the car and used a hair dryer to get rid of the condensation.  Been fine ever since.  If you have a lot of water, drill a tiny hole in lower corner towards the wheel arch side of the light.  Underneath of course, this will let the water out and it wont get back in from underneath.

Offline saadn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 01:38:04 pm »
I ended up returning them. I was a bit sceptic in regards to their authenticity; dunno if they were actually Hella. There was no Hella logo on them at all.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:30:06 pm by saadn »

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 02:19:36 pm »
I ended up returning them. I was a bit sceptic in regards to their authencity; dunno if they were actually Hella. There was no Hella logo on them at all.

At least you got a full refund? How much did you pay if you dont mind and that may help to see their authenticity

Offline saadn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 02:29:03 pm »
I ended up returning them. I was a bit sceptic in regards to their authencity; dunno if they were actually Hella. There was no Hella logo on them at all.

At least you got a full refund? How much did you pay if you dont mind and that may help to see their authenticity

Yeah I got my refund. I paid £182 for them of ebay from a seller called eurowagens. He seems to have a good reputation but I dunno, I expected them to have a brand logo on them at least.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:59:01 pm by saadn »

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 02:38:50 pm »

Yeah I got my refund. I paid £182 for them of ebay from a seller called eurowagens. He seems to have a good reputation but I dunno, I accepted them to have a brand logo on them at least.

They are not solely an ebay shop. They use that as part of their business. http://www.eurowagens.com/

Direct link : http://www.eurowagens.com/en/vw/golf-5-jetta-5/r32-rear-lights-vw-golf-5-genuine.html

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 02:44:11 pm »

I ended up returning them. I was a bit sceptic in regards to their authenticity; dunno if they were actually Hella. There was no Hella logo on them at all.

....Both Hella and Valeo have OEM contracts with VAG. Are you sure they weren't Valeo if you saw no Hella markings. My OEM LED tails are Valeo.

It's a bit academic now though.

Offline saadn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 02:58:00 pm »

Yeah I got my refund. I paid £182 for them of ebay from a seller called eurowagens. He seems to have a good reputation but I dunno, I accepted them to have a brand logo on them at least.

They are not solely an ebay shop. They use that as part of their business. http://www.eurowagens.com/

Direct link : http://www.eurowagens.com/en/vw/golf-5-jetta-5/r32-rear-lights-vw-golf-5-genuine.html

Maybe I received a dodgy set.

....Both Hella and Valeo have OEM contracts with VAG. Are you sure they weren't Valeo if you saw no Hella markings. My OEM LED tails are Valeo.

It's a bit academic now though.

There was no sign of Valeo on the lights either. All that was in the box (which was a bit damaged) was the lights; no booklet/leaflet etc. Apart from the box itself there was no sign that the lights were Hella.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 03:09:26 pm »

There was no sign of Valeo on the lights either. All that was in the box (which was a bit damaged) was the lights; no booklet/leaflet etc. Apart from the box itself there was no sign that the lights were Hella.

....For the sake of future reference and to help others, genuine products would have had a label at the very least and usually the VAG part # is stamped or moulded on.

^ The label on my tail lights.

[P.S. - I like your Palestine sig  :happy2:]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:12:22 pm by RedRobin »

Offline saadn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 03:13:26 pm »

....For the sake of future reference and to help others, genuine products would have had a label at the very least and usually the VAG part # is stamped or moulded on.

^ The label on my tail lights.

I should've taken some photos but it didn't occur to me. I expected to see a similar sticker as that on the lights or at least some kind of logo. I mean, I wouldn't expect a company to make a product and not put their logo on it.