Make a donation

Author Topic: BBC - Four born every second  (Read 1162 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
BBC - Four born every second
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:51:52 pm »
Watching this on BBC 1 now......

They just showed a still born birth by caeserean section on a black woman and the baby was dead , looked full term fully formed etc . It was very graphic .

Anyone else see it ?

Your views ?

My view is there was no need to show it , was there ?
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: BBC - Four born every second
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:42:18 pm »

My view is there was no need to show it , was there ?

.... x 2. My view too.

I don't enjoy watching such programs and so I never do. Sometimes there seems to be nothing but surgery progs etc on the TV  :sick:

I enjoyed watching the charismatic Hitler prog on BBC2 instead (followed by "Made In Chelsea" on E4).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:12:43 am »
I decided after it was on in the background for about 60 seconds, that i didnt want to watch it and turned it off.

Did they need to show it? Well, in the context of the program yes, probably.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:29:22 am »
Well i watched all of it and it was quite a thought provoker. The dead daby bit was very graphic and the baby on my tv was bigger than real life ! There was another dead baby being delivered again and this baby had been dead several days inside the mother who had been struggling to deliver (in sierra leaone) she died soon after. It showed the difference medical intervention/involvement makes in the survival of the mother . 840/100000 deaths in childbirth in sierra leone 4/100000 in Italy ! Also showed children scavanging for rubbish collectt bottles tins etc to sell to buy food , he was 12 and the only carer for his 3/4 year old sister . Also showed a single parent delivering her second child from another father in the uk . Was on benefits  etc
Also showed a Doctor in sierra Leone who was very emotional about the deaths of mothers in delivery (he was the one who had taken the dead babyout of the mother who died) and how ricjh sierra Leone was but was not sharing its wealth with all of the country.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:26:17 am »
^^^^
I don't watch TV to have my thoughts provoked by such subjects.

No matter how badly off any of us are, either materially or spiritually or in health, there are ALWAYS those who are worse off. It is the way of human existence.

I get sickened and put off by all the TV commercials banging on and on and on about children in Third World communities and asking for money. If I won a billion pounds on the lottery, would I donate any money? - Nope!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:34:38 pm »
I'm completely the opposite - I need the reality check now and again. I don't think it's right just to accept that people being worse off is the way of human existence and that we shouldn't strive to help those that need it.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:10:29 pm »

I'm completely the opposite - I need the reality check now and again. I don't think it's right just to accept that people being worse off is the way of human existence and that we shouldn't strive to help those that need it.

....The fact that there are many good people like yourself means that I can continue being shallow and living in my own self-centred world  :evilgrin:  :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 01:19:43 pm »

I couldn't agree more. I think in today's materialistic society we do need to be shown these things and to realise not everyone is born with the same advantages and choices in life that we (on the whole) take for granted.

^^^^
I don't watch TV to have my thoughts provoked by such subjects.

No matter how badly off any of us are, either materially or spiritually or in health, there are ALWAYS those who are worse off. It is the way of human existence.

I get sickened and put off by all the TV commercials banging on and on and on about children in Third World communities and asking for money. If I won a billion pounds on the lottery, would I donate any money? - Nope!

I agree regarding the TV commercials and find them more than a little offensive, begging for my money. But knowing that there are people worse off than ourselves (in what ever form or semblance that might take), I believe that we should help and as my time does not allow for me, or my wife, to help in deeds we help with donations. I take no credit for the donations or sponsorships that we make in our house as my wife Brigitte is far more passionate about where and to whom they go to than I am but I do agree with her that with the lifestyle we enjoy it would be a sad world if we at least did not try to help.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 05:19:51 pm »
We sponsored a "World Vision" child for 20 years . We received regular updates of his progress , education and the general state of the area he was living . We sent him birthday cards/gifts aswell as xmas card/gifts for 20 years . We were recently told he had vanished and they did not know where he was . We stopped sponsorship soon after . This was a very personal thing and we were quite upset as we now don't know whether he is alive or dead !

Poverty in the UK compared to Third world poverty has not comparison , it angers me when statistics about poverty in the UK are published. There is nobody living in the UK like they do in Third world countries and we should bear this in mind whenever we hear the usual sobs stories in the UK .

I have been a Police Officer for virtually 30 years and have never met anyone living in real poverty.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 05:32:32 pm »
We sponsored a "World Vision" child for 20 years . We received regular updates of his progress , education and the general state of the area he was living . We sent him birthday cards/gifts aswell as xmas card/gifts for 20 years . We were recently told he had vanished and they did not know where he was . We stopped sponsorship soon after . This was a very personal thing and we were quite upset as we now don't know whether he is alive or dead !

Poverty in the UK compared to Third world poverty has not comparison , it angers me when statistics about poverty in the UK are published. There is nobody living in the UK like they do in Third world countries and we should bear this in mind whenever we hear the usual sobs stories in the UK .

I have been a Police Officer for virtually 30 years and have never met anyone living in real poverty.

....That's very disheartening indeed about your sponsorship. I applaud your generosity but am just being brutally honest about my own attitude about donations.

In the UK, don't you feel that there is real poverty amongst many of those homeless living on the streets? I guess it's all relative, so where does 'real poverty' begin?