Make a donation

Author Topic: Thinking of going 235s (17")  (Read 458 times)

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Thinking of going 235s (17")
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:59:41 pm »
Ready for new boots and as I am on non standard software with supporting mods...and I drive pretty 'enthusiastically', any more traction I can find is no bad thing.

So thinking of going for 235s. I initially thought 235 40 17, but the majority seem to favour 235 45 - albeit most that go for 235s are runnning 18s.

I measured my 225 Proxes 4 things and they barely measure 210mm overall, and they are quite square shouldered.

I do get catching on the outer arch under severe hard cornering round the slower stuff where you really hurl it in, and on the odd faster flowing bend if I hit a mid corner bump (lowererd on Eibach -45mmsprings) but Ialso run 15mm spacers to clear my 996 calipers.

Anyones thoughts would be appreciated....is it worth it....etc.!

Thanks

Jim

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Thinking of going 235s (17")
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:11:43 pm »
If you are sticking to all-season tyres then EVO magazine recently did a feature on tyres. Pirelli P Zero's came out top with Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2's coming second.

235's with a low offset due to spacers and a reduction in ride height will give you problems. Probably better to stick to 225's with a grippier tyre. If you wanted to go for a semi-slick tyre now in the year is probably not the best time to do it, but there are some super grippy semi-slicks available at decent prices.
Golf R gone.