Make a donation

Author Topic: TECHNICAL HELP - ELEC / RNS  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
TECHNICAL HELP - ELEC / RNS
« on: November 23, 2012, 08:16:15 pm »
I'm trying to connect rear screen to the RNS - don't really know where to start - anyone local/near me that knows anything or could even guide me - or anyone that can make a loom - need help  :sad1:

Below is the junction unit I have for the screens. The basics are - the screens going to this, and I input power - the problem is HOW to I link this into the RNS510. Here is the setup:

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:25:35 pm by Johnny_tro »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
Re: TECHNICAL HELP - ELEC / RNS
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 08:34:41 pm »
Right, where to start, unfortunately the RNS only outputs video signals via RGB not composite video that your unit accepts, you would need another unit in-between to change the video signals, although the video signals from the other unit could bypass the thing you already have and feed directly into your monitors.
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 08:49:19 pm »
So I need a unit to connect into the RNS  (back of the unit) and provides a video out.....to plug into the above?

One of these?

'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 08:52:55 pm »
bingo, thats exactly what you need mate, best thing about it is the car can listen to anything else while rns is outputting dvd to rear monitors

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:57:28 pm »
Doh ......tired  :ashamed:

If I have a DVD playing in the front......this will stream to the rears.

If I then select sat nav - does this then cancel the DVD and put sat nav on the rear display?

Also - there are many versions of these video outputs - what does it mean when is says Video out for OEM backup camera?
They range from £99 upto £200.

This looks a serious piece of kit:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Video-Multimedia-Interface-for-Volkswagen-RNS510-MFD3-Navigation-system-/230784064360?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item35bbcd5b68
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:06:34 pm by Johnny_tro »

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 09:00:24 pm »
sorry mate, can you say that again i can't understand what you mean

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 09:06:51 pm »
Sorry lol updated

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 09:15:09 pm »
annoyingly the only thing the 510 outputs from the video connector on the back is the dvd nothing else. if you select nav its just like listening to the radio it wont make a difference.

with respect to that unit and a camera i have to idea. it don't give that much info on that unit i'd like a wiring diagram

btw are you thinking of rvc as well?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 09:22:27 pm »
Ideally I would love Rear camera and be able to attached rev camera in near future........

but using the same output how would the rns choose between the screens/camera.

WHY - with all the new head units/software updates etc. does the RNS not yet play movie files (avi's etc)

Has NO ONE tried playing movies off the iphone of something directly into the RNS?

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 09:30:07 pm »
well your halfway right in the fact that the same plug on the back is used for screens and camera, but screens are output, camera is input they have separate terminals, therefore you can change the pins from one plug to another to allow all inputs and outputs to share the same plug on the back like a scart lead.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 09:38:23 pm »
Si, do you have the rear screens?

If I got the above device, would I simply add the camera wires directly into the plastic clip that goes into the RNS - bypass the black box?

There are several alternatives, advise on the difference(s) which is the best to get?
1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1231-VW-RNS-510-Video-Out-interface-0630-/120835620403?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c225d3e33   £110
2. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1232-VW-Video-Out-Interface-RNS510-0631-/150735530922?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item231889abaa   £120
3. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RNS-510-RNS510-video-output-interface-for-LCD-monitors-VW-Skoda-Seat-/330695145839?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item4cfef7796f  £127
4. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Video-Multimedia-Interface-for-Volkswagen-RNS510-MFD3-Navigation-system-/230784064360?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item35bbcd5b68 £190.00

As for POWER for the Apline unit (as the very top) would I run this off the RNS, or just off any live connection?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:40:58 pm by Johnny_tro »

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 09:42:13 pm »
i have everything pre installed incase i ever want to add them, i'll have a look through them links tomorrow i'm getting quite sleepy now mate and off to bed soon.

talk later

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 09:48:27 pm »
Just wire a dvd player  up separate it's  a lot less hassle  and also leaves the header unit free for what you want and the passengers  in the rear watching dvds or that's what i did :happy2:

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 03:08:21 pm »
Si, do you have the rear screens?

If I got the above device, would I simply add the camera wires directly into the plastic clip that goes into the RNS - bypass the black box?

There are several alternatives, advise on the difference(s) which is the best to get?
1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1231-VW-RNS-510-Video-Out-interface-0630-/120835620403?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c225d3e33   £110
2. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1232-VW-Video-Out-Interface-RNS510-0631-/150735530922?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item231889abaa   £120
3. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RNS-510-RNS510-video-output-interface-for-LCD-monitors-VW-Skoda-Seat-/330695145839?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item4cfef7796f  £127
4. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Video-Multimedia-Interface-for-Volkswagen-RNS510-MFD3-Navigation-system-/230784064360?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item35bbcd5b68 £190.00

As for POWER for the Apline unit (as the very top) would I run this off the RNS, or just off any live connection?

item 1 and 2 are essentially the same unit only difference is item 2 only has pins to insert into an existing plug say from the OEM reverse camera or OEM TV tuner.

item 3 same as item 1 but different brand

item 4 i can't comment on as the description is rubbish, and i'd want to see the full instructions before spending that money, see if they'll send a PDF to you.

I appreciate your adding rear screens but give me the whole picture of what your doing so i can advise more please  :happy2:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 03:21:58 pm »
OK - Rear screen in and have the above apline box

What I want is...........rear screens feedind off the RNS510 - with sound of course.
When playing a DVD I don't want to swich into sat nav at the front and the rears change - still want the rear watching DVD.

I also want it setup - so that I can add a rear camera if needed.

Si - what are you running yourself?