Make a donation

Author Topic: Wiring up a seperate unit  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Wiring up a seperate unit
« on: November 24, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »
Need ti instal a seperate unit - DVD player.

Standard connections - live, earth etc.

Just wanted to know - where is the BEST place to wire this to? the head unit? or just anything that has a 12v live?
As this is going in the rear - could I take the live from the cig'y ligher in the boot?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Wiring up a seperate unit
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:53:55 pm »
think the cig lighter in the boot is a constant live--best to find an ignition live  :happy2:

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 12:58:18 pm »
You best off running the live off of an open slot in the fuse panel. This way if it pops a fuse, you will know which item is at fault, rather than it affecting the radio too. earth is easy, you just take it from one of the many earth points around the vehicle. Some of them are painted so need some cleaning up of the paint before connecting anything to them.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 01:04:43 pm »
How does a live (or ACC as it says) connnect to the fuse box? is there a special connector? or do I just pop the fuse box out as attach to the bacK?

Are ALL the points in the fuse box live even if the slots don't have a fuse?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 01:14:47 pm »

Hey question askerer  :happy2:

I have gone from the front of the fuse box with a spade connector acting as one of the legs of a fuse and put an inline fuse holder in the live wire. However I think this is a bit Heath Robinson.

I am having Alex at AKS remake my two connections properly from the back of the fuse box and inserting a fuse like a normal fuse box connection.  As mentioned above easier to fault find, neater & probably safer

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 01:20:53 pm »
Hey you  :star: No 1 question askererer her  :ashamed: How the folding mirrors  :sad1:

Wiring is as follows:

- Acc Power (red)  < This will go to fuse box
- Parking brake lead (Yellow/blue)  < Whats alll this about?
- Remote control output lead (White/brown) << ???
- Ground (Black) < to car chasssis

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 01:23:55 pm »

I reckon the parking one will only allow you to play DVDs when stationary (safety) but if you don't wire it up or wire it in a particular way, perhaps it will let your passengers watch DVDs when you're driving

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:25:00 pm »
What I thought - where best to connect this?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 01:26:50 pm »
Remote control - does it say remote control or just remote?

Remote is normally what cuts the power to it when ignition is off so you don't get battery drain (or something along those lines)

Amplifiers have them. Remote lead goes from your head unit to your amp so your amp only powers up when your head unit is on to save your battery.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 01:28:13 pm »

Maybe a daft question...

Have any instructions? Does the manufacturer have a website with Help / FAQ / instructions?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 01:30:40 pm »
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,57070.0.html

Here the unit I'm wiring up with details. Trying to find a local person/company to do it. Was one but closed down. This is childs play for someone who knows HOW

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 01:34:02 pm »

Have some spare fuses handy lol

I'd be tempted to wire parking wire to a 12v supply IGN to see if allows use while driving.

*disclaimer etc etc  :grin:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 01:37:15 pm »
OR - have a good idea..........

Shout out :mad:  Anyone local fancy popping round